The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Who does koa the best?
Goodall 15 30.61%
Taylor 14 28.57%
Someone else 20 40.82%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2020, 08:04 AM

Other people can have my koa McAlister baritone and koa Blue Lion dulcimers when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers. I'm never selling them, would never consider it even for a second.

The no-name koa dulcimer is a nice little dulcimer, but you wouldn't need to use violence to persuade me to part with it.

I also have a really nice koa 12 fret Triple O built for me by Anchorage luthier Bob Clark, and it's a very nice guitar. I have no intentions of selling it, either, but it's not quite in the same category for me as the McAlister and the Blue Lions.

whm
Old 08-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Kinscherff High Noon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200706-203734_Chrome.jpg (41.7 KB, 51 views)
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful stories and pictures. This is just what I wanted. I have a wonderful little koa L'arrivee and I was wondering why I cannot find another koa guitar that I really like. I had a Martin Performing artist in koa but as I played more guitars I realized that this one just couldn't hold it's own unplugged so I sold it. I cannot get my hands on a K14 but it sounds like what I would be looking for. I just don't want to shell out that much for something I've never played. Now I have more places to look. I will be glad when we can freely move about the country again.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:20 AM

I voted for Goodall given the choices. Taylor mostly does a nice job IMO (I own two, a flamed koa/spruce GS and an all-koa GA) but I have also played some high-priced duds from them. Koa as a wood is variable enough that a solo boutique builder will do a better with it. Using a standard dimension in a factory environment means that top thickness and bracing cannot be tweaked for THAT piece of koa wood. Perhaps that accounts for the mixed reactions to them?

The single best acoustic guitar I have ever played was an all-koa Goodall Jumbo in Anchorage about 8-10 years ago. I had to ponder overnight about the $6K price tag, and it was gone the next day when I went back to buy. Someone else agreed with my assessment. I also test drove a Goodall koa baritone handed to me by James himself at the Healdsburg Festival in 2011 that was pretty stellar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion