The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-07-2020, 08:08 AM

Default Thoughts on Mackie 402VLZ4 vs. Mix8?

I need a small mixer to keep in the spare tire well of my SUV. I've forgotten to pack my Bose T1 mixer for gigs a couple of times and I'm just at that point.

Minimum requirements are two XLR inputs and 1 1/4" input.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2020, 04:08 AM

I have the 402VLZ and it’s a great little mixer, but I’d probably grab the Mix 8. It’s got some nice additional features the VLZ doesn’t have. 3 band eq, aux send and return, control room outputs, Pan knobs, extra channels.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:56 AM

The Allen & Heath Zed 10 has no wall wort and good sound.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

The T1 is "out of print", so to speak... they don't make them anymore. I was surprised to find that out recently, but I don't get out all that much!

You might be able to find a new one for around $350, though... if not, I'd go with the little Mackie, unless you actually need a bunch of bells and whistles...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-10-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
The Allen & Heath Zed 10 has no wall wort and good sound.
I agree, I have used one of these for years (Zed 10FX), and they are great and superior to any Mackie I've ever used. And I like the tap tempo delay!
Old 08-10-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I agree, I have used one of these for years (Zed 10FX), and they are great and superior to any Mackie I've ever used. And I like the tap tempo delay!
Me too great little board..dont know if it will fit
In a spare tire well along with the tire or what that
Might do to it bouncing down the road all day.
But they are great sounding boards.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Sound View Post
I have the 402VLZ and it’s a great little mixer, but I’d probably grab the Mix 8. It’s got some nice additional features the VLZ doesn’t have. 3 band eq, aux send and return, control room outputs, Pan knobs, extra channels.
I decided I needed small over the features, though otherwise I'd agree with you. Got a clean used one for $60. I figure that now that I bought it, I'll never forget my Bose mixer again.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
The T1 is "out of print", so to speak... they don't make them anymore. I was surprised to find that out recently, but I don't get out all that much!

You might be able to find a new one for around $350, though... if not, I'd go with the little Mackie, unless you actually need a bunch of bells and whistles...
I already have a spare T1. Never used, in the box. Grabbed one when they were blowing them out. Actually have a third I keep with my gear in Florida. The problem is that I have forgotten to take it to gigs here in Ohio a few times and need something very small to keep in the spare tire wheel well of my car.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys, but the main criteria was tiny and the Zed is too big. I decided that even the Mix8 was too big. The smaller the better in this case. So I picked up a clean used 402ZLX4. Lost features and space. Space was more important in this case.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Thanks guys, but the main criteria was tiny and the Zed is too big. I decided that even the Mix8 was too big. The smaller the better in this case. So I picked up a clean used 402ZLX4. Lost features and space. Space was more important in this case.
Nice one David. It will serve you well if you ever need to use it Super solid little mixer!
Old 08-11-2020, 11:05 AM

Good choice. I've kept a 402VLZ3 in my gig bag for emergencies and etc. for years now, and it has come in handy for that and for a bunch of other unexpected utility purposes.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification