The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Alas, my lord, the Rider looked like something thou wouldst play at a Renaissance Festival. Hardeth to get thyself by that.

Or, in the words of Sir Kramster of the Desert Dwellers: "Just sayingeth."
Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 PM

To me it looked more like a Romulan disruptor rifle aimed at the unnamed guy in the red shirt from the USS Enterprise's away team. But the Rider sounded good and played well.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've a Yamaha GL1 which is a low cost Guitalele with a 430mm scale length.
It's so easy to carry, I take it everywhere! It sounds sweet but I'd love a high quality instrument with better projection and tone but the same size! I'd love to make one someday!

Simon
(formerly Simon@Emerald)
Old 08-03-2020, 02:45 PM

I have two Steel Riders (first voice and second voice) and one Nylon Rider. I use a strap and a Neckup with all of my guitars including the Riders so the shape of the Rider is not a problem for me. The Riders are extremely comfortable to play and have great sound.
Barb
Old 08-03-2020, 03:14 PM
Guest 928

Jim;

You touch a time element that rings true of the nylon rider--I've always viewed it as a throwback to the Lute. And the Super OM has always reminded me of a Craviola.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:28 PM

Actually, the rider is sort of a ripoff (in CF) of the Go Guitars Sam Radding was building since the late 90s in San Diego:

Old 08-03-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgavy View Post
I've a Yamaha GL1 which is a low cost Guitalele with a 430mm scale length.
It's so easy to carry, I take it everywhere! It sounds sweet but I'd love a high quality instrument with better projection and tone but the same size! I'd love to make one someday!

Simon
(formerly Simon@Emerald)
The GL1 is a lovely little instrument, isn't it? Cheap as chips, sweet sounding and quite playable.

Sadly, mine did not survive a recent ruthless purge of Seldom Played Instruments - so I'll just remember it fondly, and hope its new owner is having fun with it
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-04-2020, 01:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
The GL1 is a lovely little instrument, isn't it? Cheap as chips, sweet sounding and quite playable.

Sadly, mine did not survive a recent ruthless purge of Seldom Played Instruments - so I'll just remember it fondly, and hope its new owner is having fun with it
I played one in a music shop a few years back when i was living in Oxford, England. I lifted it out of curiosity and the sound was so sweet. I left and cycled home (40 minutes cycling up hill). I was there all of 10 minutes before i rushed back and bought it just before closing time! Ive actually built a few ukes, but i think my next will be something similar to the GL1! Ill let you guys know how it goes
Old 08-08-2020, 04:14 PM

Unless you absolutely must have a CF guitar, you should consider the Cordoba Mini M.

I have one that lives behind my driver's seat in its gig bag, and survived summer heat in a closed car here in California, and never goes far out of tune. It's the perfect size to play sitting in the driver's seat without banging into the side window.

They are inexpensive and with a good set of strings tuned to f# or g sound really nice.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Guest 928

The Cordoba is definitely worth a look. It's reasonable, it plays well, and has nice sound.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuttler View Post
Unless you absolutely must have a CF guitar, you should consider the Cordoba Mini M.

I have one that lives behind my driver's seat in its gig bag, and survived summer heat in a closed car here in California, and never goes far out of tune. It's the perfect size to play sitting in the driver's seat without banging into the side window.

They are inexpensive and with a good set of strings tuned to f# or g sound really nice.
Looks great, but that nut (1.875") is huge for me. I prefer 1 11/16".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber