The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 07:25 AM

Default What one feature would you want the guitar of the future to have?

I say adjustable nut/string spacing. I'm already cheating a bit since that is kind of two things but I consider them related. Wouldn't that be cool though?
Old 08-01-2020, 07:41 AM

1) The instrument automatically keeps itself in tune, making micro adjustments on the fly and without the player or audience ever noticing. I predict this one actually comes about.

2) “Smart wood” that maintains its condition regardless of environmental humidity and temperature but yet still sounds like wood.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:57 AM

The playability of a fine electric - but I think somebody used to make those already, back in the '90s...
Old 08-01-2020, 08:04 AM

The voice and mojo of a 1934 Gibson Jumbo !
Old 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM

Tougher "dream" question that I might have expected. It's hard to imagine the mechanical/acoustical feature that would be introduced in the future, because a lot of it would come down to "hey, this sounds good!" and what would cause this, the "feature" the OP asks for, would be the still un-invented invention.

I can imagine more development in the electrical/computer* aspect of the acoustic guitar (hear me out, I know that sounds like an oxymoron). More in the use of modeling/IR both for amplification in a performance situations (like Aura/ToneDexter technology with further improvement/development) and them more in the way of sound modification on top of that.

For example, one poster upthread already mentioned self-tuning guitar. Electro-mechanical solutions exist (Gibson was roundly mocked for promoting them) but another variation that I use (purely computer-based version with the Line6 Variax electric and have use the Roland systems before that for "instant alt tunings." This is actually quite neat. It doesn't retune (so your guitar has to be in EADGBE tune first), just re-pitches, something that is very convincing as long as you are playing loud enough that you don't hear the "acoustic" sound, which limits it's use on a true acoustic.

I'd suppose the idea of "modeling" could eventually get to better level. A nice to hold, lightweight 00 that can sound like a jumbo maple and spruce 12-string and other representative sounds would be attractive to some (and repellent to others, I know...). But again, hard to see how this could work with an instrument like our beloved acoustics projecting their "real" sound out into the room and conflicting.

*by "computer" I don't mean hooking it up to a laptop or something, I mean the more general definition of "computer" as circuits that can do complex things, like the stuff inside a Variax for an early example.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-01-2020, 09:24 AM

A way to easily extract picks that fall into the sound hole.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:38 AM

pro guitars at plebeian prices
Old 08-01-2020, 10:09 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Not a guitar feature (maybe a midi) but real time notation of what I'm playing, including timing, multiple notes, etc.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-01-2020, 10:35 AM

How far in the future?

I’m pretty happy with the design of wood guitars as they are. Maybe some advances in materials science and design to change the sound on the fly - density of back and sides, bracing strength, etc.

Maybe it’s being stuck home for months, but the future guitar I’m more excited by is the one that comes with an augmented reality avatar. Put on my VR goggles and plug in my VR guitar, and suddenly I’m sitting in a hall with you people, jamming, with the same feel and dynamics as real life. Guitar lessons and live streams by our favorite artists would be way more interesting too. And practicing with the tablature bouncing along in front of you like Guitar hero, or capturing what someone is playing for future reference - not just the video, but an immersive 3D rendering with fingering and such.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:05 AM

Remember how the song goes and overrides my playing errors. Not too much to ask, is it?
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

I want shrinking-guitar technology so I can put my guitar in my pocket and carrying it around wherever I want. Ultimate portability.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:32 AM

Some of these suggestions already exist, although they have proved impractical or buggy.

Motorized self-tuning machines have been made, although I don't know how well they would work on the fly. They are probably also heavier than standard tuners.

You can record midi data straight to a score in Sibelius or Musescore. Combine that with a guitar-to-midi controller.

"Smart" temp and humidity-resistant "wood"? Have you listened to many composite/carbon fiber guitars? There are quite a few with a pretty woody sound, and more manufacturers are beginning to develop more models and tones.

The "beta" version of the future is already here. It just needs some fine tuning and development.

However, retrieving picks you dropped in the soundhole? That may take much longer to solve.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:49 AM

Real wood
Old 08-01-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I think I would like to see an advancement in string technology. Strings that sound good but stay fresh for months or years would be nice!
Old 08-01-2020, 12:52 PM

Like to see multiple neck options that can be switched at the store. So, if I didn't want a dread with a vintage neck, the store would just put in a slimmer neck with preferred nut and string spacings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion