The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2020, 08:42 AM

Nope. I do have a pig named Steven.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:50 AM

Too weird, its like giving a dog a persons name.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Too weird, its like giving a dog a persons name.
My dog has a person’s name. I prefer dogs to most people.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 07-24-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Yesterday, this idea of giving names to each of my guitars came. ItÂ’s probably the second or third time this idea occurred. I remember seeing this in a few signatures of members here. Is it a cool or crazy thing to do? Your thoughts please?

Example: Martin 00-15M (Coco)
My thought is to do what pleases you. Who cares what a bunch of yabos on some internet forum think...

Personally most of my guitars have been referred to by maker and model. When I've tried to intentionally name one, I have always felt a bit pretentious. OMMV. For example, I was going to call the Australian Blackwood-backed Webber "Shelia" (Aussie slang for "woman" when I lived there back in the 70s. Not sure it is still in use these days.) but it has never stuck.

Several do have other names, though, abet never thought out. As the fleet of McAlisters grew from one to three, the first began liffe as "The Mac." It became "The Olde Mac" when I acquired the second, acquired used via the builder, and which was referred to as "The New Mac" or "The Scratch and Dent Mac" in honor of the somewhat rough life it has led. The recent one is "The New Mac."

The Baritone I began referring to as "The Monster" because it is in every dimension, from the full 17" bout jumbo body, to the 28" scale, to the huge tone.

So none were planned names. I just referred to one by some name and it stuck.

OMMV
Old 07-24-2020, 09:05 AM

I call my SCGC Dread "Old 97" because that's its serial number. Built in 1982, it's signed by Otis B. Rodeo. Who is Otis? That was Richard Hoover's stage name when he was performing.
In other news, I traded a duck for a cat. The duck was named Pete and followed its owner around for years. Pete thought he was a dog.inamed the cat Sparky. He helped me survive my senior year in college when I was living on the farm.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:07 AM

I just grab them and play them, but when I have to for some reason discuss them with my wife, I call them:

My Martin
Grandpa's Martin
My Taylor
My Telecaster

The others we never really talk about.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-24-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Who cares what a bunch of yabos on some internet forum think...
No need to call people names.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker View Post
My friend Timmy the Toaster says it's silly to name a guitar. Wally Welcome Mat agrees.

You do what you think is best though. They're your guitars.
That gave me a chuckle. Best response so far.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:15 AM

I had a late 80's silver Precision bass that the whole band called Excalibur.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:31 AM

of course. she's "Lupe." (she's an Alvarez; i leave it to you to make THAT connection)

my truck is the "Lone Ranger" (it's a Silverado)
my tractor is "Eustace Karl" (bought it from a guy named Haney)
the electronic autopilot on my boat is "Otto"
the windvane steering on my boat is "007" (it's a Fleming)
my outdoor table/chairs/umbrella set is "Patty" (as in, Patty O'Furniture)
my grill is the "DHG"
my Kitchenaid mixer is named "Tom"

my friend's boat is named Wandering Aengus (i always called it "Wallowing Anus" as it had a less than friendly motion in a seaway)
then they got a stabilizer system (we named it "Sade"...it's a smooth operator)

i thought everyone did this.

i'll not regale you with the monikers for my table saw, planer, jointer, band saw, drill press, chainsaw, power washer, generator, etc.; i will assure you they all have one.

oh, yeah..my '73 TR6 is named "PD" (as in, "Go Dog, Go!")

Last edited by Tadmcd; 07-24-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:35 AM

After reading dozens of threads with hundreds of responses to the question of whether a person does/should name their guitars, I've come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of guitar players in the world: Those who name their guitars and those who don't. Members of both groups seem to be equally passionate about their position, and there rarely appears to be any fence sitting or ideological reversal among us musicians regarding this issue.

Of course there is no right or wrong involved, just personal preference expressed. However, being firmly ensconced in the non-naming camp, I must admit I find it impossible to understand the desire/need to give a name to an inanimate object, but if you have an uncontrollable desire to name your guitar(s), by all means do so and be assured of your impunity from my perspective.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I never named my guitars. I thought that the player or the guitar had to be something really special to earn that because I had only encountered "real artists" who named their guitars. Then in one of my bands, the bassist married a great Aussie girl with this cool, affectionate attitude. She loved my Gibson Les Paul and insisted that I name it. When I didn't, she gave it a name, "Paulie," and hand stitched the name into a cleaning cloth for me. I still have it and it is a great memory.

Lots of years later my lovely wife surprised me on Christmas with a shopping trip to buy an ES-335 that has become the center of my electric guitar world - that guitar that begs to be played every time I am near. Both my wife of forty years and the ES-335 she gave me are keepers and fit me just right, so I named the guitar after her: "Miss Right."

But in conversation it is just "the '74 Les Paul" and "the ES-335." It still feels a tad pretentious for me for some reason to have names, like neither of us have earned it quite yet.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-24-2020, 09:59 AM

I don't know if those above had their tongue firmly planted in their respective cheeks while insulting those who do name their guitars or other inanimate objects but either way, count me among those who name objects.

PJ
Old 07-24-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I never named my guitars. I thought that the player or the guitar had to be something really special to earn that because I had only encountered "real artists" who named their guitars. Then in one of my bands, the bassist married a great Aussie girl with this cool, affectionate attitude. She loved my Gibson Les Paul and insisted that I name it. When I didn't, she gave it a name, "Paulie," and hand stitched the name into a cleaning cloth for me. I still have it and it is a great memory.

Lots of years later my lovely wife surprised me on Christmas with a shopping trip to buy an ES-335 that has become the center of my electric guitar world - that guitar that begs to be played every time I am near. Both my wife of forty years and the ES-335 she gave me are keepers and fit me just right, so I named the guitar after her: "Miss Right."

But in conversation it is just "the '74 Les Paul" and "the ES-335." It still feels a tad pretentious for me for some reason to have names, like neither of us have earned it quite yet.

Bob

You officially have my permission to name guitars...you HAVE EARNED it
Old 07-24-2020, 10:28 AM

No. I don’t name inanimate objects.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion