The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-23-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
I haven't used his self-serve program, but I have been using one that he made for me a couple of months ago and it is amazing.
Hi Kit,

The IRs I make personally are better. The "self-serve program" is a "light" version of my algorithm. My full algorithm is a much heavier process, it is slower and requires some MATLAB toolboxes routines that are not available on Octave (Jon Fields knows).

On the contrary the "self-serve program" is quick. it runs on Octave with no required add-on and enables anyone to play with the mic position.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-23-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Kit,

The IRs I make personally are better. The "self-serve program" is a "light" version of my algorithm. My full algorithm is a much heavier process, it is slower and requires some MATLAB toolboxes routines that are not available on Octave (Jon Fields knows).

On the contrary the "self-serve program" is quick. it runs on Octave with no required add-on and enables anyone to play with the mic position.
All I know is that my search for that perfect plugged in tone ended with your IR loaded in a Strymon Iridium plus a Bodyrez pedal.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All I know is that my search for that perfect plugged in tone ended with your IR loaded in a Strymon Iridium plus a Bodyrez pedal.
I thought the Strymon Iridium was more for electric guitar. No?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-23-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Aaron - you did a great job reviewing Cuki's IR generator! I haven't used his self-serve program, but I have been using one that he made for me a couple of months ago and it is amazing. I saw where you used the Slate mic in your video and liked the results. I used a 20 year old $50 Peavey dynamic mic for the recordings that I sent to Cuki and I am very happy with the results.

BTW - I enjoyed your live stream Sunday afternoon. It definitely lifted my spirits! You need one of those backgrounds that make it look like you are playing on some island in the Caribbean, LOL!

-Kit
Thank you! I have those backgrounds. Maybe I’ll use it this weekend with the IR! Lol!
Old 07-23-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I thought the Strymon Iridium was more for electric guitar. No?
The Strymon Iridium is most definitely geared for electric guitar; however, you can add your own IR's and even bypass the cab emulation. For me, my little pedal board works for acoustic and electric. I don't use effects, so the Iridium is my electric amp and speaker cab. That thing sounds really good, too. It actually does crunch without getting fizzy. It's super easy to use. Just flick a couple of switches and turn a knob or two and you're ready to go.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Hi Kit,

The IRs I make personally are better.
I have to say the work you did on mine is pretty impressive. In this app it's a little difficult to calibrate and perfect the process however because the "feedback loop" of record/listen/adjust/record is a bit convoluted (excuse the pun). I haven't quite figured out a way to run this GUI version with an L/R file like JF's one which I find quite useful. Don't get me wrong, though, this is not a criticism other than in the academic sense where I'm assessing the existing state and imagining improvements. I'm very happy to enjoy and appreciate this.

Another benefit of using an L/R file comes when comparing mics. I'd like to record a few simultaneously in Reaper, render L/R files for each and then compare the resulting IRs. I suspect there is a simple way to do this already and I just haven't thought of it yet.

Bravo Cuki, Bravo JF
Old 07-23-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I haven't quite figured out a way to run this GUI version with an L/R file like JF's one which I find quite useful. [...]
Another benefit of using an L/R file comes when comparing mics. I'd like to record a few simultaneously in Reaper, render L/R files for each and then compare the resulting IRs.
Hi Shufflebeat,

The app is not meant do that. It was meant to supress the operation of using reaper or any DAW to make L/R recordings.

Before, whether you use Jon's or my algorithm, you would have to use a DAW and record. Many people don't have one or don't know how to use it. That's the magic of Tonedexter: It is user friendly.

In the same spirit, I wanted to avoid the maximum "options" that would make it difficult to read. On Aaron's Youtube video, he almost forgot to clic on "Compute IR" at some point. The more "options", the more "complexity". The more people could get lost.

For example, Jon asked why I did not allow user to choose which 10s would be played for demoing the IR. I answered I wanted the app to be the most straightorward as possible.

Quote:
I haven't quite figured out a way to run this GUI version with an L/R file like JF's one which I find quite useful.
The app can not record more than two channels simultaneously however it can load wav L/R files. It is hidden in the code. When I debug the IR computing or file saving part, I don't record 1min every time, I use that hidden option... All you need is to read the code, find the hidden option and use it That's the benefit of an open-source software!
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 07-24-2020, 12:10 AM

A "p" version is available for download.

Now the app works even if you don't have the same number of inputs and ouputs! (Thank you Doug for spotting it)

Cheers,
Cuki.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 07-24-2020, 03:37 AM

Quote:

In the same spirit, I wanted to avoid the maximum "options" that would make it difficult to read. On Aaron's Youtube video, he almost forgot to clic on "Compute IR" at some point. The more "options", the more "complexity". The more people could get lost.
Understand 100%, unfortunately I have an irrational urge to explore.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:33 AM

Thanks for all your work on this. I will give this a trial over the weekend. I don’t have a pedal to load it on yet. Cuki, you mention in your post “that’s the beauty of the Tonedexter”. I think I would follow that lead. If I like the end result, I would buy a Tonedexter.

I have kind of set an unintentional limit at $300.00 for any Devices for EQ. I have a ton already and have been leery of buying yet another without having a way to get some idea of what the end result could be like. This IR process you put together will allow me to do that. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post

I have kind of set an unintentional limit at $300.00 for any Devices for EQ. I have a ton already and have been leery of buying yet another...
You're right to think that this process will inform your decision making and it will do so better than any YT vid or sales pitch. The process is similar overall.

I've found that some instruments respond amazingly to the Cuki79/JF45 approach (in a Mooer Radar pedal) and others struggle. It may be mere coincidence that the strugglers are the ones that really shine with the TD but I'm glad it's working out that way.

If I'd seen this first I may not have felt the need for the TD but I'll not be retiring it any time soon (if I ever get to use it again ).
Old 07-24-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks for all your work on this. I will give this a trial over the weekend. I don’t have a pedal to load it on yet. Cuki, you mention in your post “that’s the beauty of the Tonedexter”. I think I would follow that lead. If I like the end result, I would buy a Tonedexter.

I have kind of set an unintentional limit at $300.00 for any Devices for EQ. I have a ton already and have been leery of buying yet another without having a way to get some idea of what the end result could be like. This IR process you put together will allow me to do that. Thank you!
Thanks,

the free app is not meant to replace Tonedexter. You still eventually need an IR host pedal. On paper, Tonedexter offers the best electronic for acoustic guitar (especially preamp wise).

Note that Aaron said Tonedexter IR are darker than mine. So if you like bright tones, maybe consider giving a try to Tonedexter before buying.

Cheers,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 07-24-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
It may be mere coincidence that the strugglers are the ones that really shine with the TD but I'm glad it's working out that way.
I don't think it is a coincidence, Jon first bought a Tonedexter before asking me how to go DIY. So he developped his own recipe wanting something different.

I never used a Tonedexter but since I started making IR before it was out, I did not follow the same path.

Note that given the fact, that Jon and my light algorithm are open source, one could easily make his own to have a TD-like process.

Again as I stated before, I don't see the point of it since Tonedexter is available to buy and is not more expansive than a IR pedal host+a decent acoustic preamp. (Considering you'd already own a 2-channel audio interface).
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 07-24-2020, 08:31 AM

I wrote an IR generator because I wanted to use one pedal for everything, including compressed boost and reverb. I chose an HX Stomp. It can load IRs but can't create them.

My other motivator is I wanted the generator in my home where I could experiment. Doug Young captures IRs from ToneDexter using a pedal almost as expensive as ToneDexter. I did not want to email Kien (Cuki) everytime I decided to move my mic. I wanted software to use with a DAW.

It is my opinion that mic placement is more important than the differences between Cuki-Lite, Cuki-full, jf45ir, and the ToneDexter algorithms. I don't think you need anything more than a basic vocal mic with the pop filter unscrewed (clearly LR Baggs feels the same way with Soundscape and your cell phone's mic).

I feel strongly about the approach I took and think all it is missing is traditional EQ, which I (or you) can do myself (yourself) manually. What it does do is the hard mathematical part of generating an IR that you cannot do by twisting knobs. I think after mic placement optimization the next thing to try is EQ'ing the mic recording in your DAW before IR generation. That way you can manually do to your tastes what I think the pro stuff does for you to THEIR TASTES. Anyone whose used any kind of automation knows it can go off in the weeds too and rest assured there is no little man inside ToneDexter thinking real time :~).

If I knew everything I know today about mic placement (to generate what I want to hear) and mic selection (relax it doesn't matter that much) back when I first bought a ToneDexter, I think I would have gotten great results out of it and learned to live without compression and reverb...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-24-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
If I knew everything I know today about mic placement (to generate what I want to hear) and mic selection (relax it doesn't matter that much) back when I first bought a ToneDexter, I think I would have gotten great results out of it and learned to live without compression and reverb...
If I had known that... We could have save a lots of time & efforts! I almost had forgotten about IR when you first pm about that. No new recipe, no website, no database, no open source generators! We'd be all playing music peacefully!! (and making pickups )

lol
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification