The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-06-2020, 06:07 PM

Default Pickup/pickguard for Loar LH 600

Anyone mounted a pickup to a Loar LH 600 or similar? I already bought a Kent Armstrong side mount slim and plan on making a pickguard out of either ebony or maybe rosewood. Making the pickguard and mounting the pickup to it are the easy parts in my view. Things will get real when it comes time to drill holes into the top and side of the guitar. I'd appreciate any do's and don'ts anyone might care to pass along.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2020, 07:28 PM

I have nothing to add, sorry - but I have a Loar 700 and would like add a pickup at some stage. So I'd love to see/hear what you come up with!
Did you consider any other pickups and if so why did you go for the Kent Armstong?
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 07-07-2020, 06:42 AM

I mounted a Kent Armstrong neck pickup, and pickguard with volume and tone pots mounted underneath, all from Stew-Mac. I did not drill any holes in the top or sides of the guitar (Eastman AR605 with elevated fretboard). I drilled into the fretboard sides for pilot holes to mount the pickup and pickguard. I made a pickguard mount out of 1/4" barstock that screws into the fretboard edge. No need for a bracket screwed into the side of the guitar.

I already had drilled the tail block for the output jack when I installed a piezo SBT earlier. Now the mag pu goes to the top and piezo to the ring, both outputs run to a Baggs Mixpro preamp.

Last edited by Mandobart; 07-07-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I have nothing to add, sorry - but I have a Loar 700 and would like add a pickup at some stage. So I'd love to see/hear what you come up with!
Did you consider any other pickups and if so why did you go for the Kent Armstong?
tdq,
I hope to have a prototype PG of 1/8" birch ply cut sometime this week. Although the narrow Benedetto style "finger rest" PG's appeal to me, especially when done in ebony, I don't think that style is appropriate for the vintage jazz box vibe of the Loar, though I'm tempted to try it out. I went with this particular Kent Armstrong pickup because its listed depth is 3/8", most of the others I looked at are 1/2" and I'm not sure how much space I have to play with. Adjustable pole pieces would be nice and I may end up going in that direction eventually if I find I have room to spare. The Slimbucker was less that $50 USD, so I'm game for considering it disposable should another pickup offer sound/features I want. One issue with the Slimbucker however, although the pickup itself measures under 3.8" thick (its advertised thickness), there are no leads attached, and the solder tabs extend down, perpendicular to the top of the pickup, almost 1/4". Test fitting the pickup indicates this is an issue, so I'll have to bend them back to reclaim some clearance. Will post results when I have some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I mounted a Kent Armstrong neck pickup, and pickguard with volume and tone pots mounted underneath, all from Stew-Mac. I did not drill any holes in the top or sides of the guitar (Eastman AR605 with elevated fretboard). I drilled into the fretboard sides for pilot holes to mount the pickup and pickguard. I made a pickguard mount out of 1/4" barstock that screws into the fretboard edge. No need for a bracket screwed into the side of the guitar.

I already had drilled the tail block for the output jack when I installed a piezo SBT earlier. Now the mag pu goes to the top and piezo to the ring, both outputs run to a Baggs Mixpro preamp.
Mandobart,
Thanks for sharing your setup. I like the thumbwheel controls. That approach has it's appeal and I may end up going that route eventually. I want to avoid drilling the sides of the fretboard for now, and I figure if I don't like the pickup, I can remove it and make a new pickguard, but yes, not thrilled with drilling into the body either. For now I'm planning on keeping it as simple as possible with the pickup getting wired directly to a 1/4" jack mounted underneath the pickguard, no controls on the guitar. May end up having to go to an 1/8" jack if there isn't room for the 1/4", or if I feel it's stresses the PG attachment points plugging in and out. Also hoping to avoid drilling through the tailpiece for an endpin jack as the strap button that is there now is fairly close to the top of the guitar. Rather avoid enlarging that hole if I can.

As you can see, lots of uncertainty, so gonna have to sneak up on this one.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:01 AM

I installed one of these into my Loar LH300

http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-220.html

No pickguard required and no one knows it is there. I have used these pickups in mandolins and a tenor guitar also. I think they sound great. The only downside is you have to adjust everything at the amp.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilca View Post
I installed one of these into my Loar LH300

http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-220.html

No pickguard required and no one knows it is there. I have used these pickups in mandolins and a tenor guitar also. I think they sound great. The only downside is you have to adjust everything at the amp.
neilca,

Thanks for sharing your approach. Are you going for more of an amplified acoustic sound as opposed to early electric jazz box? And how was it installing those through the F holes? Tricky I imagine, sort of like a ship in a bottle it would seem.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotos View Post
...And how was it installing those through the F holes? Tricky I imagine, sort of like a ship in a bottle it would seem.
I've installed twin head K&K and JJB's in 4 fiddles, 2 f-holed mandolins, an f-hole octave mandolin and my f-hole Eastman archtop. The guitar was the easiest with the largest holes - I could actually fit my little finger in to position the pickups, and I have medium to large (glove size 11) hands.

On the fiddles and mandos I use an S-type violin soundpost setting tool to position the piezo heads.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I've installed twin head K&K and JJB's in 4 fiddles, 2 f-holed mandolins, an f-hole octave mandolin and my f-hole Eastman archtop. The guitar was the easiest with the largest holes - I could actually fit my little finger in to position the pickups, and I have medium to large (glove size 11) hands.

On the fiddles and mandos I use an S-type violin soundpost setting tool to position the piezo heads.
Mandobart,

Thanks for the additional info. I see where you mentioned that your installation of the Kent Armstrong HB was after you had installed a peizo SBT, afraid I glossed over that part earlier.

If you would be so kind, how are you making use of the two pickups? Blended to achieve a sound you like, or do you employ an either/or approach to get a sound that fits the piece you're playing at the time?
And if I may, what strings are you using and for what kind of music? Pick or fingerstyle?

You might save or cost me money, but in the long run, hopefully I can avoid buying what doesn't work.

Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
neilca,

Thanks for sharing your approach. Are you going for more of an amplified acoustic sound as opposed to early electric jazz box? And how was it installing those through the F holes? Tricky I imagine, sort of like a ship in a bottle it would seem.
I was looking to amplify the sound I had. The Loar really doesn't have a deep bass voice. JJB sent me instructions on how to install. The instructions were for a mandolin, but the process was the same for the archtop. If you contact them they will adjust the length of the pickup wire for your instrument. Really great guys to deal with. You can use an external preamp or not. I have done both with mine. I like to use the external for ease of adjustment.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
If you would be so kind, how are you making use of the two pickups? Blended to achieve a sound you like, or do you employ an either/or approach to get a sound that fits the piece you're playing at the time?
And if I
Hi, I have a stereo (TRS) 1/4" output jack. The mag pickup goes to the tip and the JJB piezo goes to the ring. The shields from each pickup go to the sleeve (ground). A short 1/4" TRS cord plugs from the output jack into my L.R. Baggs Mixpro preamp. I can adjust the Baggs for all mag, all piezo or blend. The output of the Baggs is a standard mono 1/4" which goes to PA or amp.

Alternately I have a splitter that can separate the tip and ring out to two mono cords and run each to a separate PA or amp channel.

If I don't have the Mixpro or TRS and just plug a mono cord between the output jack and PA or amp its all tip (magnetic pickup).

Quote:
what strings are you using and for what kind of music?
I've used and liked Newtone archtop strings. Then I switched to Martin Retro monels, which I like better (more volume, good tone). About 6 weeks ago I tried Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings. Nice and loud! Brighter, twangier than monels. I always use 13's. I play some jazz, gypsy jazz, old time C&W, some bluegrass (although I usually pull out the HD-28 for that).

Quote:
Pick or fingerstyle?
Mostly pick. My new favorite is the Gravity Gold 1.5 mm teardrop. Looks and feels like PEEK. I also really like Wegen picks, 1.5 to 2.5 mm.

I do play some fingerstyle blues, Doc Watson kind of stuff or old Carter family.

Quote:
You might save or cost me money, but in the long run, hopefully I can avoid buying what doesn't work.

Thanks again.
The most costly part of my setup (besides the guitar) is the Baggs Mixpro at around $165 US. JJB twin head was around $25. Strings and picks are pretty cheap....
You're sure welcome, hope it helps.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilca View Post
I was looking to amplify the sound I had. The Loar really doesn't have a deep bass voice. JJB sent me instructions on how to install. The instructions were for a mandolin, but the process was the same for the archtop. If you contact them they will adjust the length of the pickup wire for your instrument. Really great guys to deal with. You can use an external preamp or not. I have done both with mine. I like to use the external for ease of adjustment.
Quote:
Hi, I have a stereo (TRS) 1/4" output jack. The mag pickup goes to the tip and the JJB piezo goes to the ring. The shields from each pickup go to the sleeve (ground). A short 1/4" TRS cord plugs from the output jack into my L.R. Baggs Mixpro preamp. I can adjust the Baggs for all mag, all piezo or blend. The output of the Baggs is a standard mono 1/4" which goes to PA or amp.

Alternately I have a splitter that can separate the tip and ring out to two mono cords and run each to a separate PA or amp channel.

If I don't have the Mixpro or TRS and just plug a mono cord between the output jack and PA or amp its all tip (magnetic pickup).

I've used and liked Newtone archtop strings. Then I switched to Martin Retro monels, which I like better (more volume, good tone). About 6 weeks ago I tried Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings. Nice and loud! Brighter, twangier than monels. I always use 13's. I play some jazz, gypsy jazz, old time C&W, some bluegrass (although I usually pull out the HD-28 for that).

Mostly pick. My new favorite is the Gravity Gold 1.5 mm teardrop. Looks and feels like PEEK. I also really like Wegen picks, 1.5 to 2.5 mm.

I do play some fingerstyle blues, Doc Watson kind of stuff or old Carter family.

The most costly part of my setup (besides the guitar) is the Baggs Mixpro at around $165 US. JJB twin head was around $25. Strings and picks are pretty cheap....
You're sure welcome, hope it helps.
Thanks much for the details guys. I'm aiming for a "woodier" jazz tone than an ES175, don't know how close I'll be able to get. The Loar LH 600 may not be the best starting point, but it's what I was offered in a trade, so I thought I'd give it a try.

What I've found so far is that with the pickguard mounted floater, any minute change in the angle of the pickguard throws off the bass side of the pickup, so it'll be measure 10 or 12 times, drill once.

Sidelined by other projects lately, but hope to get back to it shortly.

Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops