The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-09-2020, 10:55 PM

I’m not much of a drinker at all. A 6 pack of beer lasts me more than a month usually. But I expressed some curiosity to my son about Bob Dylan’s Heavens Door whiskeys so he bought the 3 pack sampler off the website. I gotta say, that straight rye whiskey is VERY good. A regular bottle isn’t cheap—-about $85—but I could see me picking one up after I run out of what I have. The Tennessee Bourbon is Good too. Haven’t tried the Double Barrel Whiskey yet.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditus View Post
I’m not much of a drinker at all. A 6 pack of beer lasts me more than a month usually. But I expressed some curiosity to my son about Bob Dylan’s Heavens Door whiskeys so he bought the 3 pack sampler off the website. I gotta say, that straight rye whiskey is VERY good. A regular bottle isn’t cheap—-about $85—but I could see me picking one up after I run out of what I have. The Tennessee Bourbon is Good too. Haven’t tried the Double Barrel Whiskey yet.
I work at a liquor store and we sell it for $76.98. I haven't tried it (not much of a rye guy), but the Tennessee Bourbon is really, really good...
Old 08-10-2020, 09:30 AM

Macallan single malt, sherry oak cask.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:12 PM

Had a solo weekend camping in the bush this weekend while my wife and son were at the inlaws. I missed them but the peace was nice, very quiet, I had enjoyed a lot of pipe tobacco and scotch. Just Johnny Walker Red Label, which is my favourite blended scotch I've had, got me thinking if anyone else has favourite blended scotches? I used to drink a lot of Ballentines, its alright for blended but not too close to Johnny Walker Red Label, IMO.

As for tobacco, finished off the last of my Frog Morton Cellar, it was an English blend of epic proportions, the main company that made it quit a couple years ago, a single tin of that now can sell around $100!
Just ordered a bulk blend now called Shephards Pie, we'll see what that is like.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
Had a solo weekend camping in the bush this weekend while my wife and son were at the inlaws. I missed them but the peace was nice, very quiet, I had enjoyed a lot of pipe tobacco and scotch. Just Johnny Walker Red Label, which is my favourite blended scotch I've had, got me thinking if anyone else has favourite blended scotches? I used to drink a lot of Ballentines, its alright for blended but not too close to Johnny Walker Red Label, IMO.
My favourite blend is, and always has been, Famous Grouse - although I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by a bottle of Chivas Regal a year or three ago.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-24-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
My favourite blend is, and always has been, Famous Grouse - although I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by a bottle of Chivas Regal a year or three ago.
Yes, I've bought Famous Grouse a few times, I enjoy it and buy it now and then, I wasn't the biggest fan of the smoky black version, it was actually the first of Famous Grouse I'd bought, wasn't my cup of tea, took me a long time to finish that bottle haha.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:55 AM

I’m a complete lightweight when it comes to tobacco (especially) and alcohol. I’ve always been watchful of my alcohol consumption because all three of my uncles were alcoholics to varying degrees and I didn’t want to follow in their footsteps.

In my father’s Scots-Irish family everyone was either redheaded or blond. The redheads were all either teetotalers or complete drunks, while the blonds, like my father and sister and me, seem to get the moderate gene.

Anyway, I like British real ales and all types of dark beers, as a rule, but am not a fan of super hoppy beers like IPA’s - to me those taste like they’ve got grass clippings in them.

Regardless of beer type, I don’t drink a lot of it.

As for smoking tobacco, I never got into the habit. But when I was a kid my father used to smoke “Flying Dutchman” brand pipe tobacco in his fairly impressive collection of briar pipes, and I always thought that pipe tobacco smelled far better than cigarette smoke.

I still feel that way on the increasingly rare occasions when I come into the immediate vicinity of a pipe smoker, but that’s become vanishingly rare these days. There are still cigar smokers around here and there, but pipe smoker sightings have become as rare as verified Bigfoot encounters.

That world where pipe smoking was common is as distant from our current day and age as the horse-drawn carriages that my grandfather grew up with were to my father’s childhood in the 1920’s and 1930’s.

Time DOES go marching on.....

whm
Old 08-25-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Never seen anyone hand roll with one hand before. I probably can't even machine roll with one hand. Lol
Back when I was in my early twenties, when the herb I was smoking was not legal, I not only rolled my own with one hand but developed a little parlor trick where I could roll two at the same time, one in each hand. I’m ambidextrous, so it was no big deal so far as I was concerned.

It’s been so long since I’ve rolled any kind of cigarette, though, that I seriously doubt that I could roll even one using only one hand; I think I could still roll one using both hands.

It’s not that difficult, really.

But I doubt that I could have ever rolled a cigarette one-handedly while driving over rough ground. That’s a special skill that - fortunately - I never felt the need to develop.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-25-2020, 07:48 AM

By the way, there’s a great scene in the French movie “The Wages Of Fear,” which is about this group of no-hopers stuck in a remote part of a South American country who sign up to drive truckloads of unstable dynamite over incredibly rough terrain through the jungle. The greatest danger is hitting a bump hard enough to set off the explosives.

Since this film is yet another version of the standard “Lost Patrol” plot, which countless thrillers and horror movies use, naturally these trucks get blown up one by one during the course of the film.

The scene I’m thinking of takes place towards the end of the movie, where after going over terrible terrain the two trucks remaining finally reach a paved road. The two guys in each truck relax a little bit, and the guy who isn’t driving in the front truck starts rolling a cigarette.

Suddenly all the tobacco he’s laid out on the cigarette paper gets blown off. There’s no sound for an instant, and then he and the driver hear the explosion of the truck behind them. It was the shock wave from the explosion of the other truck that reached them before the sound did, and that’s what knocked the loose tobacco out of the cigarette the guy was rolling.

I’ve always thought that was a really astute observation on the part of whoever wrote that scene, whether it was the author of the novel that the film was based on, the screenwriter who put the movie scenario together, or if the director came up with that little bit of business. Because whoever came up with that was exactly right - that’s precisely what would happen under those circumstances.

My first encounter with “The Wages Of Fear” came from seeing the US remake, called “Sorcerer.” Roy Scheider played the main character in it, and there are a number of things that the American remake did better than the original (probably because it had an immensely larger budget than the original.) But one thing that wasn’t done better or even done at all in the remake was that brief foreshadowing of what was about to occur by the tobacco being blown away from the cigarette paper.

Interestingly, that one short scene is what’s stayed with me the most vividly from either of those two movies.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic