The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
Some of the 3/4 size Yamaha guitars sound O.K. and can be made to play well.
They can be used as campfire and traveling companions when he "out grows" them. It could probably be strung as a terz guitar if one was so inclined.
"This".

These are the route to go. For all the reasons Hermit points out above. And it's much more affordable, than some of the other options. If your boy decides he doesn't want to play anymore, you're not out much. If you can find one used, all the better.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 08-09-2020, 06:33 AM

OP here. Thanks for the many suggestions.

The suggestions of starting on a ukelele make a great deal of sense to me, but this 6 year old boy is very particular in his wants, and he wants a guitar.

The suggestions of a Baby Taylor or a Little Martin might work for a considerably older child, but I think these guitars are too big for a 6 year old.

The Yamaha JR1 and JR2 are clearly very popular, though not without their problems. But I wonder if a 3/4 size guitar such as these might still be too big. Have any of you purchased a 3/4 size guitar for such a young child? I would very much be interested in your experience.

I have seen suggestions that a 1/2 size guitar is better for a 6 year old. The Oscar Schmidt model has been favorably reviewed. Obviously, the smaller the guitar, the greater the loss in tone.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post

The suggestions of starting on a ukelele make a great deal of sense to me, but this 6 year old boy is very particular in his wants, and he wants a guitar.

The suggestions of a Baby Taylor or a Little Martin might work for a considerably older child, but I think these guitars are too big for a 6 year old.

The Yamaha JR1 and JR2 are clearly very popular, though not without their problems. But I wonder if a 3/4 size guitar such as these might still be too big. Have any of you purchased a 3/4 size guitar for such a young child? I would very much be interested in your experience.

I have seen suggestions that a 1/2 size guitar is better for a 6 year old. The Oscar Schmidt model has been favorably reviewed. Obviously, the smaller the guitar, the greater the loss in tone.
I tried the Yamaha JR’s, I own a LX Little Martin as a travel guitar. I wrote earlier about the Luna I bought my niece who was 8 years old at the time. I tried several guitars and while the Taylor GS and Martins LX are likely a bit better I thought the Yamahas were terrible, I could not get them to stay in tune for 30 seconds. I thought the Luna was a great sounding and quality stater guitar. For whatever reason Luna seems to have this 3/4 starter guitar as as strength of theirs.
I’d recommend you try them. If I remember correctly they are in the $100 to $200 range with solid tops and laminated sides and backs. IMO they are a very good value in this price range and an excellent guitar for your purposes plus they look cool for a kid. They do some engraving on the top and my niece really thought that was special.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I see no reason at all why any 6 year old cannot learn on a 3/4 sized guitar. As I already stated, my son is 6 and plays my full sized dreads sometimes. He has been learning on a 3/4 size guitar for over a year...He is a big 6 year old, but he still, he is only 6...He practices everyday, and that has resulted in him being able to play the bigger guitars. By this time next year, I will have him playing a 24.75" neck full time. Body size is more of a factor than neck in his case...Of course everyone is different, but again, I see no reason why a 6 year old can not or should not learn on a 3/4 sized guitar.

My main man playing my Gibson AJ...I would post video if I knew how...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200724_225342.jpg (17.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20200724_225259.jpg (18.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
My recommendation for acoustic is the Baby Taylor. It's a good size for kids and in my experience, the Taylor has better tone and playability than the other 3/4-size acoustics from Martin, Yamaha, and others. The Baby Taylor also comes with a best-in-class gig bag.
............ +1
Old 08-09-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:

A guitalele would work - https://www.cmuse.org/best-guitalele/

But in any case, the important thing is to get him an instrument that he doesn't have to fight - accurate tuning machines, stays in tune, comfortable action, all that stuff. Nothing to distract from actually playing the thing.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I would start him with a ukulele. It's small, easy to finger, easy to learn, popular right now, and makes for an easy transition to guitar when he is ready.
This is excellent advice, it's what I would suggest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion