The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-23-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

As of the time of writing, 21 of the 41 guitars in the sale are marked as sold.

With one day to go, I'd imagine they'd be pretty happy with that.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-23-2020, 03:59 PM

That has to be good for the old cash flow! Someone out there is going to enjoy that blue Chimaera, and the bubinga one. And the black one.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
As of the time of writing, 21 of the 41 guitars in the sale are marked as sold.

With one day to go, I'd imagine they'd be pretty happy with that.
Wow - that is significant! 2020 is an unusual year. Congrats to all the new owners!

And for martinngibson, I've yet to have a guitar come from Emerald that was "scathed." The first one I ordered had a greasy spot on the box and the box smelled like cookies. The guitar and gig bag were just fine. This was when Emerald was just starting to do their mug lagniappe, so I was surprised to find a mug in the box! And only just a little disappointed that there were no cookies in the mug.

That was also my fastest Emerald delivery: ordered on a Thursday, shipped on Friday, in my hands before lunch on Monday.

You may have to change your forum name to martinngibsonnemerald... is there any length restrictions on forum names?
Old 07-23-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I've yet to have a guitar come from Emerald that was "scathed." The first one I ordered had a greasy spot on the box and the box smelled like cookies.
Wow Cap'n, you are a brave man. So glad something brown smeared on your box smelled like cookies!
Old 07-23-2020, 08:38 PM

Some say it takes roughly 10 working days to arrive which will is ok, just hope it’s a fit for me.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:24 AM

I think you'll be pleased. My X20 compared very favorably to a custom shop OM-28 last year in a head-to-head shootout. And once you get spoiled by those comfort bevels....

No firsthand knowledge know about the shipping times now using UPS, but my previous purchases came via mail service (AnPost and US Snail) in 7 and 8 days -- the eight included a federal holiday. Emerald went with UPS to avoid the huge backlog with US Customs in the COVID era. Apparently Big Brown has an inside channel.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:51 PM

Well , I’ve had it for a couple of weeks and other than the width of the neck at the 8th on up , I love it.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinngibson View Post
Well , I’ve had it for a couple of weeks and other than the width of the neck at the 8th on up , I love it.
Can't be worse than a RainSong going up the neck. Can you elaborate a little more? I'm just curious as you are not the first person to not like Emerald's necks. I've yet to play an Emerald.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Can't be worse than a RainSong going up the neck. Can you elaborate a little more? I'm just curious as you are not the first person to not like Emerald's necks. I've yet to play an Emerald.
I purchased my X20 Woody in May. Always been skeptical of CF guitar but was won over by the design, wood veneer and AGF love for Emeralds. As you can see, I have some decent guitars in my signature but I have not played a gig with anything but the Emerald since I got it.

That said, I find the width of the neck past the 8th fret makes it harder for me to play. I'm about average height (5'9") and wear a medium/large golf glove if that's any reference point.

I do LOVE the guitar and and never fails to get compliments on it's sound and looks. That said, if/when I get another I will only do so if it has a smaller neck.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 08-14-2020, 01:29 PM

My Martins are just slightly over 2-1/16 at the 12th fret and my Gibson Country G. Is the same, but the CG is a thinner neck, being an electric guitar. The Emerald is 2-1/4” and feels fuller in your hand than any of my Martins with the exception of my ‘68 D28. You wouldn’t think that 3/16th of an inch would make that much difference, but it really does.
If you don’t use your thumb to fret the Low E or A string then that width would be fine for most anyone. Also the CG has a 12 degree fingerboard radius whereas the Martins are like the Emerald, and have a 16 degree. That extra roll off on the edge assists in the fretting of the low E and A for me as I don’t have large hands. If you don’t have small hands, and in particular, if you don’t use your thumb for fretting up from the 5th fret through the 12th or so then it would be fine the way it is imo.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

2 comments about difficulty with nick width up the neck past the eighth fret.

I wonder if those posters were referring to neck width or neck thickness?

Alastair will make a guitar neck with whatever width and thickness the purchaser specifies, within reason of course.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:09 PM

I have been dealing with Kevin at Emerald and he is pricing me a guitar with a neck of my choice, so yes they will stray away from their standard neck profile.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

It’s amazing how much difference a small change in a measurement can make to playability, and what works for one person can be impossible for another.

If you do go ahead with a custom-necked instrument from Emerald, though, do make sure you have a good understanding of what will happen to string spacing at the bridge if you’re going to knock off 3/16” at the 12th fret. That may not matter to you as much, but geometry dictates that it has to get narrower.

Also, if I may - fretboard radius is measured in inches, not degrees. Your Gibson has a 12” radius; your Martin and Emerald are 16”.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-14-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
2 comments about difficulty with nick width up the neck past the eighth fret.

I wonder if those posters were referring to neck width or neck thickness?

Alastair will make a guitar neck with whatever width and thickness the purchaser specifies, within reason of course.
Can't speak for the other gent but its width, not thickness that I notice. I again want to underscore that I am not knocking Emerald. I have much, much respect for not only the way they make their guitars but also their whole approach to marketing and customer service/relations. I work in the college of business at an SEC school and have asked Alistair if he'd address our entrepreneurship seminar class.

I am a fan.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

Last edited by Ruppster; 08-15-2020 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:20 PM

The Martin 0000-18 custom that I have, has the performance neck and it is wonderful. It has an 1-3/4” nut, same as the Emerald so if the Emerald had the Martin neck or preferably the Gibson, it would be perfect. String spacing is great on either at the saddle. My hand adapts after a little while of playing, if it’s not too wide, I play bluegrass banjo as my main instrument so you can imagine how narrow that neck is. Like I say, it’s only from really the 7th fret or so on toward the body where the issue is. It would be fine for most probably especially if they don’t do the thumb wrap thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber