The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2023, 07:31 PM

Old 09-19-2023, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
It's an excellent short documentary on the band Leonid & Friends. I take it you've never encountered them, before? The best Chicago tribute band around.
Thanks. I have come across them on YouTube before - I just didn’t make the connection from the video title. I’ll agree - they are a terrific Chicago tribute band.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-19-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Thanks. I have come across them on YouTube before - I just didn’t make the connection from the video title. I’ll agree - they are a terrific Chicago tribute band.
They're not too shabby on Earth Wind & Fire, either!
Old 11-13-2023, 10:01 PM

I haven't seen this movie since 1975! Great film and superb music.
Old 11-14-2023, 07:39 AM

Watching the new season of Annika as it drops on PBS Masterpiece. As a Nicola Walker fan it's a must see.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-14-2023, 10:34 AM

I saw Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1. It's an entertaining installment to a highly entertaining franchise. Whatever people think of Tom Cruise's personal lifestyle, I think he's pretty incredible as an action hero, and the supporting players in this one (esp. Hayley Atwell and Vanessa Kirby) are also very strong. These movies are still ridiculous, especially when it comes to dialogue (Top Gun: Maverick is also guilty of this), but I really enjoy the series.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Chicago used to live across street from my brother, in Hollywood, circa 1970. He was their road manager and Terry Kath gave me my first guitar lesson and almost my first dose of THC! Very friendly guys and that tribute band is Outstanding!
Old 11-14-2023, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I saw Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1. It's an entertaining installment to a highly entertaining franchise. Whatever people think of Tom Cruise's personal lifestyle, I think he's pretty incredible as an action hero, and the supporting players in this one (esp. Hayley Atwell and Vanessa Kirby) are also very strong. These movies are still ridiculous, especially when it comes to dialogue (Top Gun: Maverick is also guilty of this), but I really enjoy the series.
I think the Mission: Impossible movies are on a par with the best James Bond movies and Tom deserves a lot of credit. Virtually all of his movies deliver big time.

I was delighted with the actor Pom Klementieff in the new Mission: Impossible movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pom_klementieff.jpg (24.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-14-2023, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Watching a Belgian/Dutch production of a police drama, "Undercover". I was drawn to it because I like hearing them speak Flemish which reminds me of my Belgian family. I haven't been really recommending it because I think I'm biased that way, but my wife and our close friends both raved about it. So here ya go.

This series spawned two prequels, both named "Ferry", after the main criminal protagonist in the series, Ferry Bouman. One a movie from 2021 and the other a just-released series also on Netflix. Both worth watching after you get through the 3 seasons of Undercover.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on Ferry. I watched all three seasons of Undercover and the Ferry movie, but I didn't know there was a Ferry series. I'll have to check it out. Unlike you, I watch it for the Netherlands Dutch experience, so I'm trying to speak like the Amsterdam actresses Anna Drijver and Elise Schaap, but the Flemish actors are real difficult for me. The actor who played Laurent in Season 2 was almost unintelligible to me. The actor who plays Ferry (Frank Lammers) is Dutch but he speaks with a very think Brabants accent which sounds a little Flemish to me. Are you aware of VTM (https://www.vtmgo.be/vtmgo)? It's a pretty good selection of free (mostly) Belgian Flemish tv and movies.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 11-14-2023, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on Ferry. I watched all three seasons of Undercover and the Ferry movie, but I didn't know there was a Ferry series. I'll have to check it out. Unlike you, I watch it for the Netherlands Dutch experience, so I'm trying to speak like the Amsterdam actresses Anna Drijver and Elise Schaap, but the Flemish actors are real difficult for me. The actor who played Laurent in Season 2 was almost unintelligible to me. The actor who plays Ferry (Frank Lammers) is Dutch but he speaks with a very think Brabants accent which sounds a little Flemish to me. Are you aware of VTM (https://www.vtmgo.be/vtmgo)? It's a pretty good selection of free (mostly) Belgian Flemish tv and movies.
Ah, well I don't really have the ear to discern the difference, I just like the sound of the language either way.

Thanks for the link! I'm only one episode into Ferry. Not bad so far, we'll see.
Old 11-15-2023, 02:17 AM

Old 11-15-2023, 11:22 AM

"The Sandbaggers" - 1970s-80s British Cold War espionage series, focusing on a fictional secret unit that tends to get the dirtier or at least more unconventional assignments. Holds up well; you could think of it as a very good contemporary series about cold war intrigue in that period (100% authentic costumes, for example ). Quite a few episodes available on youtube, in decent quality.

Series One Episode One:

Old 11-16-2023, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

We're years behind, and just plowed through Season-1 of Suits on Netflix. Fun 50-60-minute episodes.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:50 PM

We started watching All The Light We Cannot See on Netflix and, boy, we gave up quick. The book was really fantastic, but that first episode was really quite horrendous. The music was overly used and eye-rolling, the acting was really unwatchable (including the two main characters and especially a ridiculously miscast and not-good Mark Ruffalo), and the imagery way too precious (including a character having oysters and wine amid debris and flames from ongoing air raids). Maybe it will get better, but I wasn't feeling much of a need to find out with a start that bad.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic