The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I think that may be the first time I've heard you play in standard tuning. Awesome! Maddington Falls must be a wonderful place. Loved it!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Guest 213

Mau, definitely one of my favorites--if not the favorite--of anything I've heard you play.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:56 AM

That is a really sweet tune, Mau. I may steal it from you....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Mau:

Really enjoyed this piece - nice job! Love the blend of dream-like background rhythm, coupled with clear melody layered in. You don't sing, yet I sensed you had lyrics in your head as you played (if so - willing to share? ). Might be a lovely piece to compare tone playing your other guitars. Or did you optimize specifically for this one?

A productive night off - bravo! Thanks for sharing with us.

-Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your kind words! I always start with the idea of writing a "song" so the melody is my main priority.

But to your point, I don't sing -- and the kind of lyrics I can write would probably kill the piece.

I'm using too much effects on this track to make any serious tone comparisons but I'd be curious to hear it with my other guitars indeed. The Martin comes to mind first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
Mau,
I always enjoy your playing, but this may be my favorite. Be sure to leave room for it on your CD. Well done. Holt
I will! Thanks Holt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Mau,
Loved how you layered just a little bit more to that melody each time through....super creative. The slightly longer length of the sections in between had me waiting with anticipation as to what would come next! It really sets it up beautifully!
Fred
You read my intentions very well, Fred. I had all the parts written already when I decided to add a few gaps. Thanks so much for listening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I think that may be the first time I've heard you play in standard tuning. Awesome! Maddington Falls must be a wonderful place. Loved it!
Thank you for your post. Maddington is a beautiful place indeed. I wrote this piece for a friend of mine who used to live there. I haven't seen her in 30 years but she still inspires me today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Mau, definitely one of my favorites--if not the favorite--of anything I've heard you play.
Thanks, Jon! I'm always a bit anxious when I post an original but I'm glad this one was well accepted...
Old 02-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
That is a really sweet tune, Mau. I may steal it from you....
Thanks, Jon. As you dig into this piece you'll be disappointed to find only three chords (four if you count the two bits in Am near the end) and about five notes for the melody...

Don't forget the stereo delay!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Hi Mau...

So nice to sip coffee to (and read posts in the forum).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Mau...

So nice to sip coffee to (and read posts in the forum).

Thanks Larry. I guess this is almost like reading a magazine -- except there's no serious review...

I am truly loving this guitar. I love to look at it and I can't put it down once I start playing it.

I am working on another original now -- a "sister" composition to "Maddington Falls".
Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Tuesday Bump

W
Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Mau, that is really wonderfully played! Really haunting and it sounds great on your new Olson!

Quote:
Here's another recording featuring the SJ in standard tuning -- this time an original of mine:

http://youtu.be/AwAtI_xVM34

Maddington Falls is the place where I grew up. I put on an extra dose of delay to reminisce the old days.

It's a simple and unpretentious piece which I hope you'll enjoy.
Oh my... It is simple and unpretentious but it sounds SO GOOD and it's so sweet! Dang,... I have to wipe tears from my eyes, Mau...

- Glenn
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell123 View Post
Tuesday Bump

W
Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell123 View Post
Tuesday Bump

W
Dude, you're killing me... LOL Thanks for the bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Mau, that is really wonderfully played! Really haunting and it sounds great on your new Olson!
Thanks, Glenn! I couldn't be happier with my latest Olson. The black pickguard means it will be my main "player" for years to come...

Quote:
Oh my... It is simple and unpretentious but it sounds SO GOOD and it's so sweet! Dang,... I have to wipe tears from my eyes, Mau...

- Glenn
I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Glenn.

I don't remember much of my early years but I remember this little girl from Maddington and how she was such a sweetheart. This piece was written for her. I moved away to the city and tried to find her number for years -- to no avail.

It took nearly 30 years and Mark Zuckerberg to connect us again. To my delight, she hasn't really changed and has been really supportive of my music.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM

Wow! Wonderful story, Mau! Thanks for that.......brings some real sentiment to Maddington Falls!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
... I don't remember much of my early years but I remember this little girl from Maddington and how she was such a sweetheart. This piece was written for her. I moved away to the city and tried to find her number for years -- to no avail.

It took nearly 30 years and Mark Zuckerberg to connect us again. To my delight, she hasn't really changed and has been really supportive of my music.
Wow...

Great story! That is great that you finally connected back up with her. It's also great to have friends like Mark Zuckerberg.

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Wow! Wonderful story, Mau! Thanks for that.......brings some real sentiment to Maddington Falls!
Fred
Thanks Fred! Maddingon is alive and well -- but my memories are frozen in time. Back in those days, it was perfectly safe and normal for 6-7 year old kids to hang out without parental supervision. We covered a pretty large territory for kids our age! I become emotional just thinking about it. Good times...

Quote:
Wow...

Great story! That is great that you finally connected back up with her. It's also great to have friends like Mark Zuckerberg.

- Glenn
I hear Mark has billions of friends... LOL

Thanks so much for listening to my original.

Here's an easy listening cover for you -- Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car":

http://youtu.be/sVmYceo295g

Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 AM

Default Fast Car

Wow! Gorgeous playing. That guitar is in the right hands. Thanks for posting Mau. - Brian
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop