The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Small Venue Amp

I'm having a LR Baggs LB6 pick-up and end-pin jack with pre-amp installed on my custom Martin 000-28EC. I'm not a "techie" by any means, but I've researched small venue amps pretty thoroughly and have narrowed it down to four. Any input, insights, or opinions regarding my selections would be appreciated. My choices, based on sound, features, and value (under $500) are listed below in no particular order:

1. Fishman Loudbox Mini - $300 (has channel for mic, but no phantom power)
2. Fishman Loudbox Artist - $500 (effects I don't need, but has phantom power)
3. Ultrasound DS4 - $400 (has phantom power)
4. Marshall AS-50D - $400 (has phantom power)

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I'm having a LR Baggs LB6 pick-up and end-pin jack with pre-amp installed on my custom Martin 000-28EC. I'm not a "techie" by any means, but I've researched small venue amps pretty thoroughly and have narrowed it down to four. Any input, insights, or opinions regarding my selections would be appreciated. My choices, based on sound, features, and value (under $500) are listed below in no particular order:

1. Fishman Loudbox Mini - $300 (has channel for mic, but no phantom power)
2. Fishman Loudbox Artist - $500 (effects I don't need, but has phantom power)
3. Ultrasound DS4 - $400 (has phantom power)
4. Marshall AS-50D - $400 (has phantom power)

Thanks in advance...
Hi DrPlayer...

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you jumped in.

I own a pair of the UltraSound AG-50 (current model is DS-4). They are awesome and flexible, light and portable, plus they can interface with a PA and still allow me to use the amp as a stage monitor. I only take one to a gig (unless another player needs to borrow one).

They are very natural sounding as opposed to sounding like I'm playing my guitar through an amp.

UltraSound amps do not have full 48 volt phantom power - more like 15 volt phantom. I don't expect or need it on my amp, so it's not an issue for me.

Again, welcome to the forum. It's a great day to want/need an acoustic amp because there are lots of choices. You left off the AER (though they are about double the money)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
UltraSound amps do not have full 48 volt phantom power - more like 15 volt phantom. I don't expect or need it on my amp, so it's not an issue for me.
Thank you! Not being a "techie", what does that really mean in the whole scheme of things? It will still allow the use of a condensor mic, right...maybe just limit the selection???
Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM

The last three amplifiers in your list are all competitive amps that enjoy an enthusiastic following although the most popular among the AGF membership seems to be the DS4. I'd be concerned about the Mini's bass response given its 6.5-inch woofer as compared to the 8-inch one in the other amplifiers (the AS-50D has a pair of 8-inch woofers and the DS4 has a pair of 8-inch woofers and a pair of dynamic tweeters).
Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Thank you! Not being a "techie", what does that really mean in the whole scheme of things? It will still allow the use of a condensor mic, right...maybe just limit the selection???
Hi DrP...
Yes, that is correct.

It would limit your choices if you are planning on using a condenser mic. Condensers which power up with low phantom power amounts are out there…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-08-2012, 04:25 PM

I have #4 on the list - the Marshall - and it's always been a reliable and good sounding amp. I've used it live with a full band many times and it cut through with no problem.
I've never tried the other amps on your list, but I do have a different model Ultrasound that I use for nylon string, and it too is is a very nice amp - sounds great.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM

My Marshall AS50D is loud or soft enough to play most all the places I've played. I also have various options in my storage area for large or small PA systems and the AS50D has served well as a monitor for my guitar.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the good feedback (pun intended)! Sounds like I might just put all four names in a hat, draw one out, and buy it? Not very scientific, but it doesn't sound like I can go wrong with any of my choices...thanks again!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM

I own and am a big fan of the Fishman loudbox mini. It's small and VERY easy to carry. I view it as a preamp/DI with the added bonus of a 6.5" speaker to help monitor yourself in loud situations. It is plenty loud though depending on what you're doing with it. I guess it's a nice compromise between a DI box and full size amp.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Roland AC-90. Two channels, 48V phantom power, rever, delay, chorus, 1/4-inch and XLR outputs, etc.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Hard to go wrong with any of those amps. Make sure to get a amp stand so you can get the amp up around belt level high. I have the Ultrasound and it works very well for small venues and is not bad as a monitor for larger venues or outdoors when a larger PA is also being used.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Small Venue Amp

Again, thanks for all your feedback... After much research--which included product reviews, input from forums such as this, talking with owners, reading through product manuals, and listening to (3) of them personally, I decided to go with the Loudbox Mini.

Other than my $500 budget, cost was my least important concern; however, after reviewing them all, cost ended up being the deciding factor. At $279, it has all the features I need from an amp for my purpose (home and small venue) and just magnificent ACOUSTIC tone that is clear and clean. This amp has no phantom power; but, I'm not a studio musician needing the recording capability of a high-end consensor mic, so it's not a necessary feature for me...there are plenty of great sounding tried-and-true dynamic mics out there.

They all seemed to be great amps, so I'm confident I would have been happy with any one of them. However, if I can get all I want/need in an amp and keep $100-$200 in my pocket, why not...there's always more gear to buy!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Congtrats you got a great amp!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Good choice, drplayer! But I honestly think you were right - each of the amps you mentioned has a devoted following of happy users. Enjoy! Thanks for the update.

cotten
Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj View Post
Roland AC-90. Two channels, 48V phantom power, rever, delay, chorus, 1/4-inch and XLR outputs, etc.
I agree. I started a thread a bit further down in the forum about the AC-90. I just tested one with my archtop (which may make a big difference when comparing the amps with flat tops, not sure) and loved it. I greatly preferred the sound to the Fishman Mini Loudbox, Loudbox 100 and SA220 Solo, and the Bose L1.

Now I'm just saving my pennies....

EDIT: D'oh, gotta read more - I see you made your selection. Enjoy the Loudbox Mini, I really liked the one I played and the size and portability are fantastic. Hart to go wrong with Fishman!

Enjoy!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification