The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-26-2011, 07:32 AM

Default How will a cracked top effect the sound??

I'm looking at a guitar on line that has a cracked top that has been repaired. My question is how will that effect the sound? and am I looking at trouble down the road? Thanks for your help!!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Think it depends on how it cracked, where it cracked, and how long it was left before it was fixed. No matter what, it will lower the value some - hard to generalize on how much, but it definitely will to some degree.

Personally, I found a Santa Cruz OM that had a center seam split from the bridge to end block that occurred when the previous owner let the guitar dry out, and I got a good deal on it and its been my main player since. Never heard it pre-split, but it sounds great now - I have no problem considering a guitar that's been " lightly abused " as long as I like everything else about it.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Usually very little to none. Value is effected to a degree but mostly to the degree it bothers the buyer. A great guitar otherwise repaired is still a great guitar. More than anything it gives you some leverage on a buy price.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 AM

no real sound difference will be noticed ever, crack should be a pro repair though, depending on year and model price may not really be effected either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair