The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Lucy and the football

Earlier this month I idly checked a couple of big box store websites to see if maybe they’re able to get Rockwool again. During the pandemic, only Lowes would touch it, and they required a three-package minimum back then.

Well, Lowes registered a “store pickup” hit, and even promised $50 off. So I went in. The nice lady at Customer Service double checked that, yes, I could buy just one, and yes, it would be $50 off. I paid for it and she said it would come into the store in about two weeks. I marked my calendar and got excited all over again that I might just make my gobos this time.

I received a phone call a few days later saying that there was a thirty-package minimum if I wanted to buy from that store.

Arghhhh. Flat on my back again. When will I learn? Ask Charlie Brown how it feels.

The good news is that I have spoken live on the phone with an authentic human being/employee of a hardware store an hour away in Alameda, who says they always have plenty of this product (24x48x3.5”x8 pcs) physically in the store at any time, and that they will sell me one package (at the post-pandemic price of $100). So I suppose I’ll have to make the trip some time soon. We’ve done a little floor-space clearing in my garage workshop, so I’ll probably be able to just fit a 4x8 sheet on my table saw.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 04-18-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:17 PM

My football is guitar related. The Martin D-28 1937 Authentic. How many of these will Dave buy and sell (to lucky buyers at a hefty discount) before he realizes the neck shape is his nemesis and causes him much hand pain? Who knows?! Dave is evidently not that smart.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Earlier this month I idly checked a couple of big box store websites to see if maybe they’re able to get Rockwool again. During the pandemic, only Lowes would touch it, and they required a three-package minimum back then.

Well, Lowes registered a “store pickup” hit, and even promised $50 off. So I went in. The nice lady at Customer Service double checked that, yes, I could buy just one, and yes, it would be $50 off. I paid for it and she said it would come into the store in about two weeks. I marked my calendar and got excited all over again that I might just make my gobos this time.

I received a phone call a few days later saying that there was a thirty-package minimum if I wanted to buy from that store.

Arghhhh. Flat on my back again. When will I learn? Ask Charlie Brown how it feels.

The good news is that I have spoken live on the phone with an authentic human being/employee of a hardware store an hour away in Alameda, who says they always have plenty of this product (24x48x3.5”x8 pcs) physically in the store at any time, and that they will sell me one package (at the post-pandemic price of $140). So I suppose I’ll have to make the trip some time soon. We’ve done a little floor-space clearing in my garage workshop, so I’ll probably be able to just fit a 4x8 sheet on my table saw.
Fortunately for you and your table saw, the long dimension is only 4 feet.

Couch Standards
Old 04-17-2023, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Fortunately for you and your table saw, the long dimension is only 4 feet.
That’s true, but it’s actually easier to run the sheet through the saw the long way.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The good news is that I have spoken live on the phone with an authentic human being/employee of a hardware store an hour away in Alameda, who says they always have plenty of this product (24x48x3.5”x8 pcs) physically in the store at any time, and that they will sell me one package (at the post-pandemic price of $140). .
GIK sells the corning 703 in a six pack but they are only 2 inches thick. And it is 80$ for 2 inch plus $47 shipping. For a total of $127
So if you are getting 8 pieces =which would be equivalent to 16 pieces of the 2inch.. You are basically getting 2.5 times the amount for nearly the same price!!!!! That is a fantastic deal. That is corning 703 correct?

I live in Northridge, which is also about an hour from Alhambra. Where are you? Maybe we can drive out together. I am ready to buy. I was just about to place an order with GiK for their Corning 703 eco friendly version called Knauf Earthwool. As I would rather work with something less glassy. But for that Price...2 1/2 times the amount for the same price......I will gladly go Corning all the way.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Whooops....Alameda, not Alhambra...ha ha...that is 400 miles for me.

So not quite worth it to drive that far. Still would love to know the name of the place in case I get up there some day.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
GIK sells the corning 703 in a six pack but they are only 2 inches thick. And it is 80$ for 2 inch plus $47 shipping. For a total of $127
So if you are getting 8 pieces =which would be equivalent to 16 pieces of the 2inch.. You are basically getting 2.5 times the amount for nearly the same price!!!!! That is a fantastic deal. That is corning 703 correct?

I live in Northridge, which is also about an hour from Alhambra. Where are you? Maybe we can drive out together. I am ready to buy. I was just about to place an order with GiK for their Corning 703 eco friendly version called Knauf Earthwool. As I would rather work with something less glassy. But for that Price...2 1/2 times the amount for the same price......I will gladly go Corning all the way.
Hi AD,

I’m referring to “Rockwool” mineral wool, not a Corning product. And the store is in Alameda (near Oakland), not Alhambra.

I’m no expert, but I’m sold on the claims made about 3.5” (or 4”) thickness vs. 2”. It’s all an experiment for me.

One thing that’s a hard No for me is paying for shipping.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Whooops....Alameda, not Alhambra...ha ha...that is 400 miles for me.

So not quite worth it to drive that far. Still would love to know the name of the place in case I get up there some day.
Glad I just checked. I remembered it wrong. The place that stocks a lot of it is Truitt and White in Berkeley — not in Alameda.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I’m referring to “Rockwool” mineral wool, not a Corning product.
The Rockwool products don't need a table saw to cut. In fact, I wouldn't want a power saw throwing the fibers around. Rockwool themselves say to use a serrated knife like a bread knife (see question 13).

If you're making 2'x4' panels, you don't need to cut anything anyway.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Ah yes the miscommunication potential and different visions and perspectives of brief thread posts

I am guessing the OP is talking about running some kind of 4' by 8' sheet of framing material thru the table saw ( which from my perspective is neither needed nor optimal ) Also he is talking about pre cut 48" X 24" rockwool batts 8 per package And note as a PSA --- can also come in 24" wide continuous rolls and cut to 48" batts with the typical utility/box cutter type knife

However::
My perspective is that the more optimal option for framing is to use 1 X 4 pine boards for making an edge frame with maybe corner bracing and one center back brace, which will give great structural specs , be fairly light weight, and need only one cut across the 4" width from say 8 ft boards into two 48" lengths ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-18-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ah yes the miscommunication potential and different visions and perspectives of brief thread posts

I am guessing the OP is talking about running some kind of 4' by 8' sheet of framing material thru the table saw ( which from my perspective is neither needed nor optimal ) Also he is talking about pre cut 48" X 24" rockwool batts 8 per package And note as a PSA --- can also come in 24" wide continuous rolls and cut to 48" batts with the typical utility/box cutter type knife

However::
My perspective is that the more optimal option for framing is to use 1 X 4 pine boards for making an edge frame with maybe corner bracing and one center back brace, which will give great structural specs , be fairly light weight, and need only one cut across the 4" width from say 8 ft boards into two 48" lengths ..
Ah yes indeed.

Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I’ll never know.

Kev, I’m going back and forth on how to use the 1x4 pine. I’d like it to be on the outside to protect the wrapping fabric and keep it clean. I plan to move these panels around and store them away when not in use (or, more likely, put them to work as absorbers for mixing). So I need a way to staple the fabric before I put the wrapped bundle into the outer frame. I’m thinking of trying this method:

https://youtu.be/HO7aeraKLsM

The general design is summarized in the first two minutes of the video.

I could use 1/4” MDF around a 1x2 frame for the stapling structure, and then finish off with a sturdy exterior frame of pine. Seems a bit elaborate, so I don’t know.

Last edited by b1j; 04-18-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I could use 1/4” MDF around a 1x2 frame for the stapling structure, and then finish off with a sturdy exterior frame of pine. Seems a bit elaborate, so I don’t know.
Ah, I see. Yes, that's quite a bit more elaborate than any of my panels. It does have the advantage of having a couple inch air gap on the back, which can help with sound absorption if you are hanging them flush on the wall. If they're going to be stand-alone, it's unnecessary.

When I made mine, I just made a pine frame, and then used off-cuts to make small triangles and put them in the corners for more stability. You could add a cross-brace like Kev suggested if you like. Then insert the insulation, wrap the front/sides with good fabric and staple, and use cheaper fabric (I used muslin) to cover the back. I haven't had an issue with the side fabric getting dirty on my portable panels, but of course YMMV.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah yes indeed.

Quote:
Kev, I’m going back and forth on how to use the 1x4 pine. I’d like it to be on the outside to protect the wrapping fabric and keep it clean. So I need a way to staple the fabric before I put the wrapped bundle into the outer frame. I’m thinking of trying this method:
https://youtu.be/HO7aeraKLsM

The general design is summarized in the first two minutes of the video.

Sounds like you are wanting (or envisioning) the pine in the exterior of the actual panel which would more or less be a frame in frame and more elaborate than what I am talking about

I was simply thinking about wrapping the fabric around the outside of the pine frame and stapling it on the back edge. Which means you do not see the pine just the fabric ( which is actually how the commercial operations do it )

So your pine frame would look something like this and the fabric would wrap it and staple on the back 1 by edge

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-18-2023, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Sounds like you are wanting (or envisioning) the pine in the exterior of the actual panel which would more or less be a frame in frame and more elaborate than what I am talking about

I was simply thinking about wrapping the fabric around the outside of the pine frame and stapling it on the back edge. Which means you do not see the pine just the fabric ( which is actually how the commercial operations do it )

So your pine frame would look something like this and the fabric would wrap it and staple on the back 1 by edge

Yes, this all looks good, and it was my first thought, too. But I’m envisioning the edges getting marred and snagged up after being moved around. That’s what draws me to wanting to use the 1x4 as a rugged outer frame.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Just curious...is this the Rockwool referred to in this thread? If so, the price is Cdn$95 which is approx. US$70 and seems to be readily available in as little quality as you want. If this isn’t the stuff, please post a link. Thx.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD