The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-09-2023, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Very true. But in fairness to my friend, he left things as they were because he expected to be walking in to do that session. It was 20 minutes of pure terror for me though.
Yikes sounds stressful , did you remember to exhale and say Wooooo-saaaa like the captain in the Bad Boy's movie ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-09-2023 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Very true. But in fairness to my friend, he left things as they were because he expected to be walking in to do that session. It was 20 minutes of pure terror for me though.
opps double post

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-09-2023, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

My Hats off to you Jim1960. A major problem in a time sensitive- high pressure assignment? I know I would not fair very well.

I did have a few high pressure assignments as a Commercial Photographer back in the 80's. But photography does not take as much knowledge as Recording does. Not a thousand buttons & procedures to learn.

But even with the difficult assignments, I usually had time to prep. Time to experiment with lighting and props before the actual assignment. Time to evaluate the needs. There were those occasional assignments where you were given a moments notice and had to had the film on the desk in just a few hours. Because it was film, you always sweated until you saw the transparencies. Luckily, everything I ever did always came out. In my view, recording is a hundred times harder than Photography though.

But with sound there are thousands of variables. Unless you have a huge mic locker, and years of experience behind you, it would be hard to be prepared for various artist and their style and instrument used.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
There was a period when I was recording and mixing the show elements (show open, bumpers, next-day promo) for a live network TV show on the morning just before the show aired. I had a cohort working the night shift who felt free to monkey around with connections, audio, data, and synchronization lines and not return the room to normal. I'd be on a crushing deadline and something crucial simply wouldn't work. It happened over and over and over and was always a stressful, heart-stopping crisis for me. In the end I learned the system so thoroughly that I could diagnose and troubleshoot quickly Frankly, he came to our facility from freelance and I think he thought that making other operators look bad boosted his career. There was a short-term boost for him but that attitude sort of came back on him eventually.
Easter egg hunts should be reserved for small children on Easter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yikes sounds stressful , did you remember to exhale and say Wooooo-saaaa like the captain in the Bad Boy's movie ?
I said things. Other things. And lots of them.

My buddy did this to me once before. I came in, set up the session, the whole thing is running smoothly for a while, then Pro Tools crashed in the middle of a take. I figured that one out quickly though. Whatever he was doing last on that computer, he had set the buffer to 128. I reset it to 512 as it usually is for sessions there and it all went smoothly after that. It's not a good look for the the studio, however, when you have to stop the client in the middle of a take because the software glitched.

I try to stay aware of the fact that the client's are paying $600/hr minimum and any studio is only as good as their reputation. That makes me slightly paranoid about making sure to keep an eye on levels, making sure every channel we're using is getting a signal, and stuff like that. But the studio is happy to have someone to step in when needed and it doesn't feel like a burden to me since I'm not needed all that often.

When I get my Mac Studio I'll call in the favor with my friend, Jack, and get him to come over and help get it all running smoothly. He can manage that in a fraction of the time it would take me and he'll know how to manage it so things run as efficiently as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
My Hats off to you Jim1960. A major problem in a time sensitive- high pressure assignment? I know I would not fair very well.
I can't lie... my sphincter tightened and didn't let up until my buddy picked up the phone on his end.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

When I get my Mac Studio I'll call in the favor with my friend, Jack, and get him to come over and help get it all running smoothly. He can manage that in a fraction of the time it would take me and he'll know how to manage it so things run as efficiently as possible.
Can you give some examples of what one might need to do in order to get the Mac Studio to run more efficiently?

As a novice, this is something I am not familiar with. Maybe this is something I need to do with my Mac Studio(although I have not had any problems).
Old 04-09-2023, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Can you give some examples of what one might need to do in order to get the Mac Studio to run more efficiently?

As a novice, this is something I am not familiar with. Maybe this is something I need to do with my Mac Studio(although I have not had any problems).
If I knew all those answers, I'd be doing it myself. But I'm sure it has something to do with what to install/load where and knowing what settings should be changed from the factory spec. My buddy has a lot of experience building systems.

I'm probably going to pick up this ACASIS housing with a WD 4tb drive as an external storage option. That will house all my VI libraries with about 1.5tb to spare.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD