The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default finding single strings

I don't want to use a set of strings if i can't buy single strings in case one breaks. I'm talking about the wound strings. The thought of having to purchase a whole set just to get one string doesn't sit well with me. I'd like to try Martin Retro strings. Anyone know of a resource for buying these individually? Thanks in advance.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Sorry Karen but the best you can do is get unwound strings in various gauges.
The string manufacturers mostly want you to buy in sets for a lot of reasons.
I'm pretty sure they don't care how it sets with you and me or anyone else.
If you break one you can always try calling the manufacturer. I've had companies like Curt Mangan treat me very well when I bought some strings that were mispackaged.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 PM

stringsandbeyond and stringsbymail sell them!

Alternatively, you could shoot an email or call thre company and may get a free pack
Old 06-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Default finding single strings

SBM- but they don’t do Martin strings do they? Especially Retros- I’ve not been able to find them in singles anywhere.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 PM

Karen, the problem with putting new strings on only when one breaks is that it will never blend well with the rest of the strings in the set. I've known a few old Hootenanny-era folkies for whom it was a point of pride that they only replaced a string when it broke, and they and their guitars always sounded terrible. There'd be shiny new strings mixed with dull grey ones mixed with some corroded completely black. There was always at least one string and usually more that were out of tune with the rest of the set.

Anyway, there are a number of music retailers that will sell strings in bulk, usually selling each gauge in packs of six. I don't know whether you can get Martin Retros that way, but before you go adding one new Retro nickel string to a mixture of old strings made from other alloys, you really ought to splurge and get an entire set to see whether you even like those strings at all.

I own three guitars that sound pretty good with nickel alloy strings, whether Martin Retros, John Pearse Pure Nickels or D'Addario Nickel-Bronze. But all my other guitars don't sound good at all with nickel strings.

So get a set, see whether you like them, then decide your course of action after that.

Hope that makes sense, even if I'm telling you something you don't want to hear.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

D’Addario sells single strings and you can buy directly from them or link to supplying retailers like Strings & Beyond, Amazon, etc on their site for any type of string they make. Go to this link as an example for EJ16 strings http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe...__Light__12_53
Old 06-17-2019, 10:45 PM

Karen you can buy A set of musicians gear strings at musicians friend for only 2.50. They are actually not a bad string. especially for the price. I would think they would do pretty good if you just needed to replace a string when you break one.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Karen, it sounds from your post that you’re expecting to break strings. I haven’t broken a string during play for many, many years - maybe twenty, or twenty five years.

If you’re breaking strings often enough that you expect breakages and want to keep a stock of singles for replacement purposes, perhaps you need to investigate the cause(s) of the breakages - sharp edges on tuners, the nut, the saddle, bad stringing technique, too light strings for your playing style, yadda yadda?

Just my two-penn’orth....

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Thank to all for your answers --

JayBee:
Quote:
Karen, it sounds from your post that you’re expecting to break strings. I haven’t broken a string during play for many, many years - maybe twenty, or twenty five years.
I play in many tunings. That's when breakage occurs. Mostly it's the "B" string, (no problem there), occasionally the G. I will look at investigating the possibility of other reasons for string breakage as you suggested.

baw: Those Musician friends strings could work just to finish out the night at a gig.

Hassom: I'll check out various D'addario strings.

Wade: Since I play in lots of tunings, string breakage happens, sometimes in pretty new strings. If I have to put on a whole set I would,but it seems wasteful and enrivonmentally irresponsible. I'd rather find a set that meets all my requirements (not too many overtones, less squeak, etc) that does offer single strings. I know (and Hassom suggested) there are single D'addario strings. I've tried over the many years of playing various D'addario strings. I'll look again at them.
Thanks for your well considered thoughts.

Steelvibe and Chalk: I will need to check with the online string companies and see if they can get Martin Retro Strings individually. And what brands they actually do carry as individual strings.

rokdog: I've called Martin and they don't sell Retro strings individually. I didn't know about Curt Mangan strings. Just checked and they do have Monel strings. I might try these before I try the Martin Retro. Though it seems they don't sell those individually. I'll give them a call today to talk about their strings. I may not even like the sound of Monel on my guitar.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 06-18-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I need one myself but it's for a set of Santa Cruz strings. I screwed one up so now I have a set of 5 that I can't use...

That's what I get the first time I try the: cut first, then wind method.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I need one myself but it's for a set of Santa Cruz strings. I screwed one up so now I have a set of 5 that I can't use...

That's what I get the first time I try the: cut first, then wind method.
And it’s precisely why I never cut until the strings are on, tuned, ‘stretched’, and everything’s good to go. That ‘Taylor’ method is a bugger-up waiting to happen.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thank to all for your answers --

JayBee:

I play in many tunings. That's when breakage occurs. Mostly it's the "B" string, (no problem there), occasionally the G.

baw: Those Musician friends strings could work just to finish out the night at a gig.

Hassom: I'll check out various D'addario strings.

Wade: Since I play in lots of tunings, string breakage happens, sometimes in pretty new strings. If I have to put on a whole set I would,but it seems wasteful and enrivonmentally irresponsible. I'd rather find a set that meets all my requirements (not too many overtones, less squeak, etc) that does offer single strings. I know (and Hassom suggested) there are single D'addario strings. I've tried over the many years of playing various D'addario strings. I'll look again at them.
Thanks for your well considered thoughts.

Steelvibe and Chalk: I will need to check with the online string companies and see if they can get Martin Retro Strings individually. And what brands they actually do carry as individual strings.

rokdog: I've called Martin and they don't sell Retro strings individually. I didn't know about Curt Mangan strings. Just checked and they do have Monel strings. I might try these before I try the Martin Retro. Though it seems they don't sell those individually. I'll give them a call today to talk about their strings. I may not even like the sound of Monel on my guitar.
Hi Karen,

One thing to bear in mind is that there is mostly little-to-no difference in the plain steel strings from different brands (as long as they're basically good-quality wire); most of the differences are in the formation of the wire wrap on the lower four strings. So, you should be able to swap in single strings from e.g. D'Addario without worrying.

I would echo Wade's comment to look closely at why you/your guitar are breaking strings. I constantly iterate through altered tunings - I would guess often changing tunings 5+ times per practice session. I've been playing 15 years - changing tunings will sure send a set of strings dull more quickly, but I have never broken a string yet...

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Thanks David. I have found too that there is no difference and no problem in the swapping single unwound strings. Interesting that you don't break strings when going in and out of tunings. I tune up sometimes 1/2 step for some tunings. I edited my "thank you" post to note that I will look into Wade's suggestions at what might be causing string breakage other than going in and out of tunings.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 AM

Simple solution - a guitar for each tuning This would limit breakage as well as extending overall string life.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM

If you search "bulk single strings" you will find several vendors who sell single strings in packets of 12. I play aggressively with metal fingerpicks on 11's and 12's and I go through those fragile G strings like there is no tomorrow (they go stone dead when the windings are damaged), so I buy these bundled strings in bronze. This extends the life of the full set wonderfully.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion