The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-09-2020, 08:08 PM

Default Crazy - Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline cover

The main reason I'm posting this is to ask how I can improve the sound without spending a lot of money. This recording is with my Panasonic Lumix camera with Rode Videomic, brought into CyberLink PowerDirector 16 for editing, and the only thing I did to the audio was to fade in/out.

The camera was about six feet away and centered, pointed straight at us. We had two iPhones recording, as well, but I didn't use either audio source although the blooper outro video is with the iPhone closest to Katie. The mention of 'Carson' is an inside joke, sort of; he's the 14-year old drummer in our Praise Band and the Pastor's son.

It seems that no matter what I try my guitar is always too loud, even though I am really playing softly in this song. Katie has a beautiful voice and I'd like for her to be heard more. Also, the sound is harsh, edgy, but I would love for it to be a bit softer around the edges if that makes sense.

For this song my playing isn't perfect but it will pass. Having her move the capo for me worked out far better than I expected. We watched the video of Josh Turner and Allison Young doing Crazy and there's a noticeable pause/noise when he moves his capo so I thought we'd get around that.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 09-09-2020, 09:44 PM

Wow! Very nice. Katie has an excellent voice. Maybe have her closer to the mic and you back off from it a bit. Well done !
Old 09-10-2020, 06:39 AM

Thanks, Chuck! Yes, her voice (and personality) is amazing.

We put one iPhone very close to her, intending to blend that in with the audio from the Rode mic but the sound was 'boomy' and not pleasant.

I suggested that we record separately but she insisted that it all be live and with me in the video. So clearly she isn't perfect if she wants me in the video...

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Old 09-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

That was well done David!

Katie does have a very nice singing voice!

The only way I know to control relative volume levels between different sound sources is to use multiple microphones and to record the audio in a system separate from the camera. The least expensive way is to use a small Tascam or Zoom recorder that has external XLR mic inputs. Some of these devices even have built-in reverb, but you can buy something like Cubase Elements to use on a computer for $99. Adding reverb or any kind of EQ is best after recording so that you can adjust to taste non-destructively.

Many of the new small digital recorders can even be used as computer interfaces, which could then be used with something like Cubase Elements.

If you were going to try to record with a video camera, only, the singer would have to be located considerably closer to the camera and its microphone. That might be awkward, however, and would require many trials to figure out how to stage relative positions of singer and guitar. And no matter what you do, the sound from a video camera, even with a good microphone, is going to sound somewhat harsh compared to close mic'ing with multiple mics.

I remember when I started recording. I really wanted to avoid all the complexities of synchronization and learning to use a computer-based DAW, but I gave up on the camera-only approach after some experimentation.

You don't have to spend a fortune on microphones, the computer recording system, or the interface to the computer, but it does cost more than just a video camera. Here is a video I made some time ago on how I record. I have updated my system since this video, but the approach is still the same.

- Glenn
Old 09-10-2020, 05:35 PM

I enjoyed listening.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That was well done David!

Katie does have a very nice singing voice!

The only way I know to control relative volume levels between different sound sources is to use multiple microphones and to record the audio in a system separate from the camera. The least expensive way is to use a small Tascam or Zoom recorder that has external XLR mic inputs. Some of these devices even have built-in reverb, but you can buy something like Cubase Elements to use on a computer for $99. Adding reverb or any kind of EQ is best after recording so that you can adjust to taste non-destructively.

Many of the new small digital recorders can even be used as computer interfaces, which could then be used with something like Cubase Elements.

If you were going to try to record with a video camera, only, the singer would have to be located considerably closer to the camera and its microphone. That might be awkward, however, and would require many trials to figure out how to stage relative positions of singer and guitar. And no matter what you do, the sound from a video camera, even with a good microphone, is going to sound somewhat harsh compared to close mic'ing with multiple mics.

I remember when I started recording. I really wanted to avoid all the complexities of synchronization and learning to use a computer-based DAW, but I gave up on the camera-only approach after some experimentation.

You don't have to spend a fortune on microphones, the computer recording system, or the interface to the computer, but it does cost more than just a video camera. Here is a video I made some time ago on how I record. I have updated my system since this video, but the approach is still the same.

- Glenn
Thanks, Guys! Yes, Katie is very easy to be around and listen to, amazing talent.

Glenn, that video and the info in your post is very helpful. I'm not opposed to spending some money to make this better but we need to do more videos to make it worthwhile.

It's kind of like out in my woodshop; any project that requires the purchase of a new tool is a good project. Well, if we need equipment to make better videos then this is a good project.

I'm going to watch your video again a few times, really good stuff!

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
audio help, mixing help