The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-30-2018, 12:07 PM

Default fret layout

Is there a difference in fret layout between a classical guitar and a flamingo guitar? I have one of each here and the layout goes different by about the fifth fret . . . I'm believing the one is a goof but not sure . . .
Old 06-30-2018, 12:25 PM

Standard, long, or short, scale lengths vary for every type of guitar I've come across.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:40 PM

Default fret layout

oh . . . so does that mean I can use either one as long as my bridge is positioned correctly? I have an old 60's goya that is in sad shape due to drying out etc. except for the neck . . . anyway I can copy the saddle distance on the old Goya and use it on a better body . . . right?
Old 06-30-2018, 07:39 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwalters View Post
oh . . . so does that mean I can use either one as long as my bridge is positioned correctly? I have an old 60's goya that is in sad shape due to drying out etc. except for the neck . . . anyway I can copy the saddle distance on the old Goya and use it on a better body . . . right?
I don't know what you mean by "either one," but guitars are built with many different scale lengths (distance from saddle to nut). The frets on the neck you have are positioned for a specific scale length. You will need to match that scale length if you want to use the neck and add a new body.

The kind of work you are discussing is sophisticated and should be left to a luthier. I do not mean to offend, but your questions indicate that you might not be well-suited to complete the job successfully.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:08 AM

Default fret layout

I understand. . . I am a retired homebuilder/finish carpenter with a large well tooled shop and a lot of time on my hands . . . so

I already learned something here . . . one more question. Where can I find the particulars for a 640 mm short scale? Been playing guitars since the hippie days but at 75 my left hand is a bit hard to spread very far. . . . thank you
Old 07-01-2018, 04:05 AM

If you can do a spread sheet you can make your own fretboard design for any string length.

You divide the string length by 17.82. This gives the distance from the nut to the first fret.

Subtract that from the original string length, divide that by 17.82 to get the position of the second fret and so on again and again until you have enough frets.

If you have it correct the 12th fret will be exactly half the original string length from the bridge. Actually the devisor that is most accurate on my spreadsheet is 17.817153745 but that level of accuracy is not critical.

Anyway, the measurements above will give you the fret positions. The saddle position requires something called 'compensation'. When you fret a string you stretch it, ever so slightly, and you raise the pitch, To compensate for this you move the saddle away from the nut by two or three millimeters. On steel strung guitars the bass strings need more compensation than the treble strings and you get the slanted saddle. But on a nylon string guitar the compensation is the same and the saddle is square to the strings.

If you put

nylon string compensation

into a search engine you will get lots of good reading including this

http://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/compensation.htm

good luck.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:17 AM

Default fret layout

Thank you very much!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is there a difference in fret layout between a classical guitar and a flamingo guitar? I have one of each here and the layout goes different by about the fifth fret . . . I'm believing the one is a goof but not sure . . .
you have a flamingo guitar ?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-01-2018, 02:40 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
I understand. . . I am a retired homebuilder/finish carpenter with a large well tooled shop and a lot of time on my hands . . . so

I already learned something here . . . one more question. Where can I find the particulars for a 640 mm short scale? Been playing guitars since the hippie days but at 75 my left hand is a bit hard to spread very far. . . . thank you
Cool! Sounds like this might be a fun project for you. Hope it goes well...
Old 07-04-2018, 06:26 AM

There are many fret calculators on the interweb, I often use the Stew-Mac one and print it out. I use a 12" dial caliper to lay out the frets, I measure the first 11 frets from the nut slot, then do the rest measuring from the 11th fret, so that cumulative errors are reduced to a minimum. I mark the fret with a very sharp knife, then score with the knife and a small machinists square, then cut with a fret saw guided by the machinist's square. Tedious, hand cramps galore, but works. If you decide to build a guitar, you can do it. Understanding wood and knowing how to do accurate work puts you a step ahead. I personally am a crap finish carpenter, but I love making guitars...
Old 07-10-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
... a flamingo guitar?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwr/8190572730/

Acoustic or electric?

Last edited by cmajor9; 07-10-2018 at 06:46 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical