The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-04-2018, 08:27 AM

Default If We Were Vampires (Jason Isbell) cover

I recently heard this haunting tune by Jason Isbell and it spoke to me so personally that I had to cover it.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

God I love this song. Nice job.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-04-2018, 10:37 AM

Yeah, a great songwriter Mr. Isbell is.

Your performance is excellent, perfect use of the guitar with your voice.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-04-2018, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful job on a wonderful song!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:19 AM

I really appreciate the encouragement. Trying to extend my catalog of covers for some upcoming farmers markets, etc. coming up in a few weeks. Hope to pick up maybe 1 or 2 new covers a week between now and then. Anybody has any suggestions, would love to hear them.

I've been playing out open mics, etc. most nights for the last few weeks in a seemingly futile effort to get a lot better at this.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Yeah, a great songwriter Mr. Isbell is.

Your performance is excellent, perfect use of the guitar with your voice.
Yes, he really, really is. And almost every word in this one spoke to me. It was uncanny, actually.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamasMusic View Post
I really appreciate the encouragement. Trying to extend my catalog of covers for some upcoming farmers markets, etc. coming up in a few weeks. Hope to pick up maybe 1 or 2 new covers a week between now and then. Anybody has any suggestions, would love to hear them.

I've been playing out open mics, etc. most nights for the last few weeks in a seemingly futile effort to get a lot better at this.
I think you are in real good shape if this song is any indication!

If you like Jason's stuff I'm sure you could figure out Traveling Alone, Cover Me Up, Speed Trap Town, Something More Than Free, Tupelo and Last of My Kind pretty quick. Traveling Alone isn't my favorite of his but it is pretty catchy...

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I think you are in real good shape if this song is any indication!

If you like Jason's stuff I'm sure you could figure out Traveling Alone, Cover Me Up, Speed Trap Town, Something More Than Free, Tupelo and Last of My Kind pretty quick. Traveling Alone isn't my favorite of his but it is pretty catchy...

Good luck!
Thank you Reeve. I have a couple of dates coming up starting in May, so hoping to develop some covers people would be typically used to hearing - thinking Beatles, Eagles, Petty, R.E.M., some 70's-'80's stuff, maybe some Johnny Cash, etc. Maybe one or two tunes each representative of various artists, bands. Upbeat tunes w/ relatively easy riffs and chords that I can pick up fairly quickly. Have to cover a 2 hour shift.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamasMusic View Post
Thank you Reeve. I have a couple of dates coming up starting in May, so hoping to develop some covers people would be typically used to hearing - thinking Beatles, Eagles, Petty, R.E.M., some 70's-'80's stuff, maybe some Johnny Cash, etc. Maybe one or two tunes each representative of various artists, bands. Upbeat tunes w/ relatively easy riffs and chords that I can pick up fairly quickly. Have to cover a 2 hour shift.
I think you will do great with your voice in that setting!

My wife is probably your typical farmer's market/local pub type of "casual" listener--she's not there just for the music, but really likes the kind of stuff you describe. She has to know the tune and it has to be upbeat and easy to sing along to. The stuff you mention is great--for specific songs, I can tell you that some of her favorites are Take it Easy, Folsom Prison Blues and Waiting on a Sunny Day by Springsteen , and of course Brown Eyed Girl and most anything by Jimmy Buffet

Let us know how it goes, I think you are in great shape!
Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I think you will do great with your voice in that setting!

My wife is probably your typical farmer's market/local pub type of "casual" listener--she's not there just for the music, but really likes the kind of stuff you describe. She has to know the tune and it has to be upbeat and easy to sing along to. The stuff you mention is great--for specific songs, I can tell you that some of her favorites are Take it Easy, Folsom Prison Blues and Waiting on a Sunny Day by Springsteen , and of course Brown Eyed Girl and most anything by Jimmy Buffet

Let us know how it goes, I think you are in great shape!
Thanks. Take it Easy is definitely on my short list. Jimmy Buffet - nice, hadn't thought of that. Sunny Day definitely a good one too.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Nice job, Mark! Nice to hear another song from you!

- Glenn
Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Thank you Glenn. Taking some time off from developing originals to beef up my covers catalog. Hoping that effort will have the additional advantage of making me a better writer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell