The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Guest 33123

Default who wants to do a 5 week practice challenge with me? ;-)

Here we go again! I'm proposing a 5 week practice challenge. This time I'm going to tackle the following:

- practice 5 weeks straight, 6 nights a week (Fri or Sat night off, I learned my lesson last time. I need a night off a week to avoid burnout and marital strife )
- record a song a week (until I run out of songs!)
- learn one new fingerpicking piece (maybe 2 if things go well, I'm already half way through one right now)

I'm going start this Sun. June 2nd and end Sat. July 6th.

Who wants to join in? All you need to do is set some goals of your own and post your progress in this thread. You can tackle anything you wish to work on. It's up to you!

BTW for those of you who remember, at the end of my last practice challenge I spent a weekend at Fur Peace Ranch learning from Woody Mann. I did the practice challenge to prepare for my FPR visit. I have to say it was one of the most amazing weekends of my life and by far one of the best musical experiences of my life. The ranch is a wonderful, supportive place (great atmosphere, people, concerts and food!) and Woody's teaching was out of this world. If you can swing it (for me it was a big commitment time and money wise) do yourself a favor and go. You will not regret it. I'm already planning my next visit.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-30-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Guest 33123

Default nobody...?

Well since I'm the only one...

Day 1: quite a good practice. Repertory went reasonable well and I have finished my latest song, Woody Mann's wonderful Hudson River Boogie. I've added it to my repertory list. I just need to get it up to speed. I'll probably record it this week. I will also learn another piece for the challenge, just not sure which one right now.

I observed something interesting. Whenever I learn a new song, some other song(s!) from my repertory disintegrates. It's like my memory tries to free up space for learning the new song by wiping out something already there! So I usually struggle a bit with repertory whenever this happens. I've learned to accept it and work a little harder. Anybody else ever had this happen?

Last edited by Guest 33123; 06-03-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 AM

Yep, I get that too. Trying to keep too many songs memorised is impossible. But they don't disappear altogether - they just need a bit of refreshing, maybe a few days work, to get back up to speed.

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by delb0y View Post
Yep, I get that too. Trying to keep too many songs memorised is impossible. But they don't disappear altogether - they just need a bit of refreshing, maybe a few days work, to get back up to speed.
Hey Del,

Phew! Good. I thought I was having a senior moment at 41!

BTW aren't you going to join in this challenge? You did awesome last time and I'm sure there's something else you'd like to learn.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 06-03-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 AM

I would be interested J- Doug.

problem is i don't know what time frame i should let myself have to learn songs. I would be learning Tommy Emmanuel, Some difficult pieces tbh. But most nights now i try to sing :P
Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I would be interested J- Doug.

problem is i don't know what time frame i should let myself have to learn songs. I would be learning Tommy Emmanuel, Some difficult pieces tbh. But most nights now i try to sing :P
go for it! If it's something hard, set you goals low for the next 5 weeks, especially if it's a TE song. Maybe learn half?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:19 AM

I'm a stubborn bugger.

I think i might just set myself a difficult task as i have nothing planned for this weeks. So mabye learn Jerry Reeds Breakdown. 2 minute song but very fast for both hands :P
Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I'm a stubborn bugger.

I think i might just set myself a difficult task as i have nothing planned for this weeks. So mabye learn Jerry Reeds Breakdown. 2 minute song but very fast for both hands :P
That's the spirit.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
BTW aren't you going to join in this challenge? You did awesome last time and I'm sure there's something else you'd like to learn.
Pretty much as a result of the last challenge I recently joined Bryan Sutton's flatpicking academy, so I'm currently working my way through some of Bryan's lessons - mostly focussing on the right hand at the moment. So I'm playing every night (and day) anyway...

I'll check in regularly and keep you all honest though

Kind regards
Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 06-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by delb0y View Post
I'll check in regularly and keep you all honest though
Somebody's got to.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 PM

I love to join in the action but at some conditions... I will not learn anything new unless I feel like and I will not record anything unless I feel like.
But to balance that out somehow, I will commit myself to (at least) 1 hour daily on acoustic and 1 hour daily on electric, 7 days a week.

How about that?
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Moose View Post
I love to join in the action but at some conditions... I will not learn anything new unless I feel like and I will not record anything unless I feel like.
But to balance that out somehow, I will commit myself to (at least) 1 hour daily on acoustic and 1 hour daily on electric, 7 days a week.

How about that?
Sounds great to me! Happy to have you on board.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM

Due to my work schedule I'm adding at least one solo guitar song a month. Corcovado is in the 3rd day.
Ibanez S5470
Ignacio M Rozas Classic Spanish guitar
Alverez Yairi Classical Electric
Taylor 516ce spruce top
Roland Electric Keyboard
Yamaha Bass
www.soundclick.com/bayoubill
Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubill View Post
Due to my work schedule I'm adding at least one solo guitar song a month. Corcovado is in the 3rd day.
Great! I love Corcovado. Post a recording if/when you can.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Guest 33123

Day 2: excellent practice though I was pretty tired (up at 6 am). The new song Hudson River Boogie has really come together. I'm planning on recording it this week, I'm just not sure which night I'll do it. Repertory went really well as well, except for a couple of problems with Mr. Blake's Dance. Getting a bit frustrated with my playing on that piece. Oh well. At least I'm not doing the "World's Angriest Guitar Player" thing.

So after Woody Mann's encouragement to start playing out (when I was at Fur Peace Ranch I had a DISASTER of a performance) and my wife insistence that I start playing open mikes too, the family and I went to check out the open mike at Irene's Pub on Saturday. Seems nice and the guy running it (Geoff) seems like a nice guy. Mostly acoustic guitar stuff so I should fit in pretty well I think. Now I just need to build up the courage to play. I get rather shaky on stage though which is not so great for fingerpicking the guitar! I don't know whether to start this Saturday or next. I get nervous just thinking about it. I've barely been on stage playing the past 20 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write