The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 PM

Default Shorter scale guitars: Jaguar and Danelectro

I'm looking at shorter scale guitars.
Fender's Jaguar is 24" scale. And Danelecto 66 has a 24.5" scale.
I was impressed by the Danelectro sound on the demos, anyone using this guitar? Or Jaguar?

The Danelectro seems priced really well. But then if you're competing with Fender, you'd better be less expensive for the "same" guitar or provide a "better" guitar for the same price.

Any other ideas of short scale?
Old 07-13-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
Any other ideas of short scale?
Depends how much you want to pay, as well as the tone/visual vibe you're after; while the Dano is very much sui generis, if you're looking for a more "mainstream" tone Fender produces Squier versions of the Jaguar and Mustang in a similar price range (don't know if they're still making the Duo-Sonic - well worth seeking out NOS if they're not), as well as costlier Mexican and US variations of both models. At the top of the regular-production scale (pun intended) is the iconic Rickenbacker 325 associated with both John Lennon and John Fogerty; also highly idiosyncratic tonally, at ~$3K street it's not a purchase to be made lightly...

One name that is generally ignored in the short-scale discussion is Gretsch, whose solidbody and 16" hollow/semi-hollow instruments (as well as certain iterations of the 17" Country Gent) have a 24.5 - 24.6" scale depending on when/where they were made. If you're looking for a production hollow/semi they're pretty much the only option, and while the Japanese-made Professional Series (not to mention the vintage originals) can get pricey the Korean 5400/5600-Series Electromatics offer the same tone/visuals at well under $1K across the board; speaking as a happy owner (if you do a search there are quite a number of us here) as well as a lifelong Gretsch guy the QC and playability are head-shoulders-&-navel above anything in their price range, in many cases far exceeding the '50s-60s Brooklyn stuff and fully competitive with similar, far-more-expensive guitars. IME they also have a "looser," slinkier feel - many Jags and 'Stangs I've played over the years feel "tight" by comparison - and if you're looking to turn heads at your next gig, a White Falcon/Country Club/6120 near-clone is sure to do the trick...
Old 07-13-2019, 10:59 AM

Default Take a look at Godin, too...

I always prefer short-scale guitars, to better fit my short fingers. Since I discovered that difference, I'm playing more often and more comfortably. So you're on the right track here.

Godin offers me everything I need in short-scale electric guitars. I've owned the Fifth Avenue Kingpin, their affordable archtop, whose single P90 gives everything from a jazzy murmur to a rockin' growl. Then I had a 2012 Icon, a single-cutaway solidbody with ebony fingerboard and a bafflingly wide choice of pickup tones. Now I play a Montreal Premiere Supreme, which resembles a Les Paul and is built like a 335 semi-hollowbody. It's a gentleman's guitar that gives a broad range of tones from its Seymour Duncan humbuckers.

Each of these has virtually the same neck, with fairly flat and wide fingerboards that ease the transition from their acoustic guitars.

With this brand, you won't be buying an image or a heritage, just a beautifully made, innovative instrument that never crossed an ocean to get to your door.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 07-13-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
...Godin offers me everything I need in short-scale electric guitars...

Each of these has virtually the same neck, with fairly flat and wide fingerboards that ease the transition from their acoustic guitars.

With this brand, you won't be buying an image or a heritage, just a beautifully made, innovative instrument that never crossed an ocean to get to your door.
I've got two - an all-acoustic 5th Avenue that I used for teaching, and a CW II (single-cutaway, twin P-90's) that serves as my blues/rockabilly/jazz comping/all-purpose backup box - and I'll agree that they're fabulous guitars for the money (as are all Godin family products), but I think the OP is looking for something shorter than the 24-7/8" scale of the Godins (or even the 24-3/4" of Gibson/Epiphone)...
Old 07-13-2019, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I have small hands. And a somewhat tweaked shoulder, so small-scale and lightweight are really key for me.

Currently I am playing a beautiful Les Paul knockoff by Ibanez, pre-lawsuit, a guitar that I bought 40+ years ago. Plays beautifully too, but its too heavy for me. Has pure humbucker pickups and very low frets. So I'm searching for lighter, smaller. I think hollow or semi-hollow guitar would be best for weight.

As regards tone...All my life I've played classical or acoustic steel string guitars, but now I play more and more on the electric. I'm not a collector, and I don't have much experience with different guitars and even less on electric guitars. Time was that tone was the ultimate factor in my decision, hence I bought and love my Santa Cruz 00 Skye. But now, play-ability is trumping tone as the ultimate buying criterion. So lets imagine a short-scale guitar that's reasonably versatile in terms of style, jazz, rock, country, whatever, and I'll live with that.

Keep those ideas coming. Thanks. ---geoff
Old 07-13-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
...I have small hands. And a somewhat tweaked shoulder, so small-scale and lightweight are really key for me...So let's imagine a short-scale guitar that's reasonably versatile in terms of style, jazz, rock, country, whatever, and I'll live with that...
If weight is key you might want to rethink your initial choices; I've played a few modern (weight-relieved) Les Pauls back-to-back with Jags - within the typical variations of mass-produced instruments they're comparable in weight (and the Mustangs aren't a whole lot lighter, believe it or not) - and IME Danos lack the versatility and tonal sophistication for jazz and cleaner rock/country styles. While the aforementioned Godin models - the non-cut/single P-90 Kingpin and the cutaway/twin P-90 CW II (the latter also available with humbuckers but very hard to find here in the States) - should be close in weight and handling characteristics to your 00 (either side of five pounds on the strap), the scale is a bit longer than what you're after and, at 1.72", the neck is going to be significantly wider than either the Dano or Fender. Speaking from experience, the Gretsch Electromatic 5400-Series hollows scale in around a well-balanced seven pounds - with a wide soft strap you'll never notice the difference - come with a comfy 1-11/16" neck, and have the sonic range to cover virtually any style short of death metal (keep the volume at reasonable levels if you don't want howling feedback); if that's still too heavy - or you need more feedback resistance - the discontinued G5655T-CB is somewhere in the low- to mid-sixes, but only available through Blackrider Guitars as NOS:

http://blackriderguitars.com/gretsch...-electromatic/

If you're OK with a 24-3/4" scale I've seen Gibson SG's as light as the high fives, with low sixes being common across the line - the Slim Taper neck should be right up your alley, and with the right strings (flatwound or pure nickel roundwound) should have the versatility you seek as well as being virtually feedback-proof; you'll need to spend a few bucks, though - the downmarket Epiphone versions tend to be considerably heavier. Finally, the Guild Newark St. Aristocrat M-75 is a twin P-90 Les Paul-size hollowbody that provides the dual advantages of compact dimensions and light (low-fives) weight - again, it may a be a bit pricier than you'd like, but since quality is similar to the Gretsch offerings it might be worth consideration as a "lifetime" instrument...
Old 07-14-2019, 05:37 AM

I have a Kay-made Silvertone 1445 three pickup electric hollowbody that has a 24 1/4" scale. It plays great, but the odds of finding one in your local pawnshop are kinda slim. But carry a tape measure - you never know, and you can't tell by looking at it. Remember that all Gibson did when they made the byrdland neck - 23.5" scale - is shorten the neck by one fret at the nut end. So real short scale is the equivalent of capoing at the first fret. What I find is that all issues with scale length go away as soon as you start to play up the neck, either blues, jazz, or with a capo.

Last edited by MC5C; 07-14-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:41 PM

Default Shorter scale guitars: Jaguar and Danelectro

IMG_1515.jpg

I have a fender duo sonic (2017) and a fender strat. The duo sonic is much more comfortable. Lighter body and small scale. I have small fingers. Although I love my strat, I don’t play it as much since I got the duo sonic. Here’s a photo of the duo sonic. Mods include: black pickguard, Seymour Duncan single cool and SD twangbanger pick ups.

Try out a duo sonic, if you can. Great guitar!
Old 07-22-2019, 09:09 PM

Love that Duo sonic - always thought I'd like to have one, but I don't. I do have a Jaguar, though, and it's a fun guitar and easy to play. I have the model with 2 split-coil humbuckers, each controlled by a thumbwheel so you can dial in single coils, humbuckers, or any combination thereof. All the other controls are just like any other Jag. Very versatile.
There are lots of nice guitars out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars