The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Yamaha Revstars

So I have been mildly on the hunt for a second electric guitar. My electric playing is very limited but lately I have had an urge to explore the world of amped sound.... in a very modest fashion. I came across these Revstar models from Yamaha. Anyone have any experience with these guitars?
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi.../rs/index.html
Old 07-09-2019, 03:18 PM

No, but it's difficult to go wrong with a Yamaha guitar.

Loads of great guitars out there though at great price points.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2019, 05:34 PM

I own a 502T. The P-90s are awesome. What amazes me the most about the guitar is that every adjustment made to each control (volume knob, dry switch, pickup selector, tone) truly affects the tone and changes it in a discernable way. I have played many electric guitars with which I have turned knobs and flipped switches and it doesn't seem like much happens aside from the volume being on/off. The 502T is awesome through an effects processor into a PA, and phenomenal into an actual tube amp.

I also owned a 320. I flipped the 320. Paid $150 for it and sold for $250. It was much lighter than the 502T, but the humbuckers in it sounded pretty good for an entry level guitar. The sustain on it was excellent. It did take some work to get the setup right on it.

A fair number of pro players are now using the upper end Revstars. The 500 series and up are very good guitars. Dare I say as good as any Gibson Les Paul under $5000.

The dry switch on the upper end models is a cool feature. It is not a coil tap. It acts like a hi pass filter and cuts out the low end that some humbuckers exhibit which can be overpowering. With the P-90s it gives off a tone similar to single coil pickups.

I can't believe people buy these, just to change the pickups before even trying them, then sell them because they don't like the way they sound. The factory pickups are really good.

I bought my 502T sight unseen when they first came out and don't regret it a bit.

Lastly, the fretwire is much larger on the 500 series and up than on the 300/400 series.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 AM

Thank you for your insight, Sir. The simplicity of the design is certainly very appealing to me. I like p90 pickups but the humbuckers seem good as well and that filter switch does seem quite useful when you want just a bit more high end snap and twang. Oddly, It does seem each model has an appeal of its own.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:05 PM

I personally think you can't go wrong with much of anything Yamaha. My Yamaha boat motor is great. Yamaha acoustic guitars I have are great etc. etc. and last year I traded my Fender Bassman Ltd for a Yamaha THR HD100 amp and could not be more happier in anyway shape or form.

As far as the Revstar, personally I might look into a Music Man used or Sterling new or a PRS SE all in the same price range. But bottom line is that you can't go wrong with the Revstar.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:55 PM

I owned a RevStar - an RSP20CR, the Made in Japan model. The quality was impeccable. It was flawless and sounded awesome. I really really kick myself for selling it when I was in a difficult spot and had to replace my acoustic. I would put that guitar up with anything I have ever played in the electric space.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars