The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-19-2019, 03:25 AM

Default Another example of how a flamenco guitar can play folk and blues

To celebrate my 1000th post on AGF

I'm still on my mission to show the world that Spanish guitars are not just for flamenco or classical music. I have never had a guitar that sounded better than this, and that's including for blues and folk songs.

I initially learnt this song on steel strings when I still played those guitars. Over the years I've been improving it as it is a complicated song. I'd never imaged singing it as that's what I normally leave for my wife, but here I am attempting to play and sing one of my favourite Bert Jansch songs.

I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 05-19-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 PM

That is an interesting and complicated tune. Your post just sent me down a rabbit hole chasing Pentangle and Fairport Convention hahaha!

But sure you can play anything on a flamenco/classical guitar. In fact honestly I find them to be the most diverse guitars. For example try playing Gaspar Sanz on a steel string guitar... Sounds terrible. But you can most certainly play Robert Johnson or Skip James on a classical.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:50 PM

Great playing, and sounds great! And I couldn't agree more! I've been playing folky fingerstyle stuff (including Bert Jansch stuff) on my Yamaha cg-ta for several weeks now and love the fulness and projection of it (and the Aquila Rubino strings!). In fact, my son is looking after my old steel strung and when I popped round to visit him yesterday I was shocked at how quiet, undynamic and plain 'tinny' it sounded! Classical/flamenco guitars pack a tonne more punch for me - I'm just sorry it took me so long to get one!!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:47 AM

Thanks Martie, I'm glad you've joined the club.

I've got a blues song in the Show and Tell section of the forum which I think really showcases how a flamenco guitar can play the blues. Check it out.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547708
Old 05-30-2019, 01:58 AM

The Skip James song sounds great! It's amazed me how loud, warm, full and balanced these 'little' guitars are (I know the Rubino strings will be helping, especially with the balance). Very happy indeed to have joined the club!
Old 05-30-2019, 02:11 AM
Charter Member

I remember Pentangle and Fairport Convention...

Great stuff, sirwhale! Very enjoyable. I meant to post on this thread days ago. I really enjoy hearing you play!
Old 05-30-2019, 02:31 AM

Thanks Kerbie

Martie: My brother is a long time electric guitar player and very talented. When I took my flamenco guitar round for him to play his comment was that it sounded like the guitars on the old blues recordings. That's an interesting perspective. But yes, I completely agree, when I pick up my mother in-law's Taylor, it does sound tinny, quiet, and less dynamic, to my flamenco guitar.

If I were a strummer however (which I really am not), maybe I'd see it differently.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Thanks Kerbie

Martie: My brother is a long time electric guitar player and very talented. When I took my flamenco guitar round for him to play his comment was that it sounded like the guitars on the old blues recordings. That's an interesting perspective. But yes, I completely agree, when I pick up my mother in-law's Taylor, it does sound tinny, quiet, and less dynamic, to my flamenco guitar.

If I were a strummer however (which I really am not), maybe I'd see it differently.
Electric guitar was my bread and butter when I was younger, so I was naturally drawn to steel strings. Just loving the classical guitar at the moment though, so much more satisfying to my ears - and hands, as I much prefer the wider neck for fingerstyle. And yes, not sure I'd feel the same if I were a Strummer.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
For example try playing Gaspar Sanz on a steel string guitar... Sounds terrible. But you can most certainly play Robert Johnson [...] on a classical.
Both are heresy ... should be on baroque guitar and lute, respectively

If you look at photos of the 20th century Robert Johnson he plays what appears to be a parlor, which is comparable in size and propertion to 19th century guitars and I think to flamenco guitars too.

Each time I picked up a steel-stringed guitar in a shop I've been surprised at how thin and distant they sound. Of course I have the sound of a resonator as my reference, but I do wonder if nylon strings simply don't give more feedback to the player, somehow.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:05 AM

NIce job on the Skip James song. Love that tune.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Both are heresy ... should be on baroque guitar and lute, respectively

If you look at photos of the 20th century Robert Johnson he plays what appears to be a parlor, which is comparable in size and propertion to 19th century guitars and I think to flamenco guitars too.

Each time I picked up a steel-stringed guitar in a shop I've been surprised at how thin and distant they sound. Of course I have the sound of a resonator as my reference, but I do wonder if nylon strings simply don't give more feedback to the player, somehow.
Oh yes no doubt about it. Much more coloration.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical