The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-17-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Glenn,
Another terrific rendition of a favorite S&G tune. And very well played. Not unlike many of the live versions I've seen of Simon doing this tune.
It brings back memories too. I first heard them do this tune live, in 1967, at the Montreal Expo. My first ever concert.
Great job as usual, and thanks for sharing!
Thank you Andre!

Thanks for your thoughts and comments! I'm so glad to read that my cover of this song brought back memories of your first concert and at about the same that I watched them play this song! Very cool!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 04-17-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
The Sheppard has a German spruce top with back and sides of Brazilian Rosewood. The guitar was built for Billy Boy, an AGF member, who lives in Portland, OR.
Goodness, what a small world. I bought an awesome Ray Kraut maple 00 from Bill a year ago, and it is a treasured guitar. We both were enriched by Bill's taste in excellent instruments!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Goodness, what a small world. I bought an awesome Ray Kraut maple 00 from Bill a year ago, and it is a treasured guitar. We both were enriched by Bill's taste in excellent instruments!
Hi Carmel Cedar!

Oh, what an amazing coincidence!

Did you ever meet Billy Boy in person? I have enjoyed his company at a couple of AGF Gatherings, and I met one-on-one with him when I bought the Sheppard guitar from him somewhere halfway between Portland and Olympia off I-5. He's a really good guy.

- Glenn
Old 04-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Beautiful, as usual. I've been lurking lately, so I didn't get a chance to comment on your recent efforts. All wonderful, especially Pooh Corner with your son and granddaughter.

I also liked your story about Paul Simon. I got to see him in an intimate setting about a year ago and he was so open and gracious. He even admitted to not liking the 59th Bridge Song but that he had to play it that night since we were in Queens, just a few blocks from that very bridge.

His erstwhile buddy Artie, on the other hand -- saw him a couple of months ago at City Winery here in NYC, and he left the stage in a huff in the middle of the second chorus to Homeward Bound because (gasp!) the audience was singing along. To our (the audience's) credit, we finished the song without him, singing the third verse and final chorus while Artie was offstage. It took a few minutes, but someone finally talked him into resuming the show. And no one dared sing along again.

Sorry, your story was so positive. The takeaway is that the song still moves the people listening to it, no matter who is singing it, as your video reminds us once again.

Dubi
Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ9RW View Post
Beautiful, as usual. I've been lurking lately, so I didn't get a chance to comment on your recent efforts. All wonderful, especially Pooh Corner with your son and granddaughter.

I also liked your story about Paul Simon. I got to see him in an intimate setting about a year ago and he was so open and gracious. He even admitted to not liking the 59th Bridge Song but that he had to play it that night since we were in Queens, just a few blocks from that very bridge.

His erstwhile buddy Artie, on the other hand -- saw him a couple of months ago at City Winery here in NYC, and he left the stage in a huff in the middle of the second chorus to Homeward Bound because (gasp!) the audience was singing along. To our (the audience's) credit, we finished the song without him, singing the third verse and final chorus while Artie was offstage. It took a few minutes, but someone finally talked him into resuming the show. And no one dared sing along again.

Sorry, your story was so positive. The takeaway is that the song still moves the people listening to it, no matter who is singing it, as your video reminds us once again.

Dubi
Hi Dubi,

Wow! What a great couple of stories to add to this thread! How cool to see both of these guys in their old age, still making music. Real people.

I always liked the 59th Bridge Song myself, but when you have done the song as many times as Paul Simon has, I can see why he might be tired of it.

Interesting story about Art Garfunkel, too.

I'm so glad you appreciate how my cover of this song came out and that you were moved to add a comment here on the AGF! I really appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks so much Dubi!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell