The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Low E snapped

I was in bed and my low E snapped by itself. It woke me up. It was first string on my classical to go. Why do nylon strings snap like that? Steel string never seem to do that.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:30 PM

This is just a personal experience, possibly unrelated to your problem.
But, I was snapping the low E and A strings on my Godin Nylon strung Multiac. My dealer saw my setup and told me that I was over winding those two strings at the bridge. I was doing three twists where only two are recommended.
Once I corrected my method the breakage stopped.
I don't know if this will help, but good luck getting your strings to last a little longer.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 PM

It's usually the wound strings that pop.

I've seen steel strings with worn or broken windings that didn't snap, because the core is a solid metal wire.

But with nylon strings once the winding breaks -- for whatever reason -- the inner nylon strands usually can't take the tension and they snap. Could be wear from frets, saddle or nut; could be a manufacturing flaw; could be the way they're tied, it's hard to say. But they do pop, it's nothing unusual...
Old 06-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Where did it break? Nylon strings usually break for a reason, most often a rough edge at either the nut or saddle. So if it broke at the nut end, check for a burr in the string slot. If at the saddle, then there may be a burr or sharp edge on the saddle. It can also occur at the saddle due to the way the strings are tied as previously mentioned, or if the break angle across the saddle is very steep. In the latter case, that steep angle can cause the windings to bind up at the edge of the saddle and pull apart over time, leading to failure. If you do a lot of retuning back and forth to drop D, then that low E string will show wear first.

How old were the strings?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
Where did it break? Nylon strings usually break for a reason, most often a rough edge at either the nut or saddle. So if it broke at the nut end, check for a burr in the string slot. If at the saddle, then there may be a burr or sharp edge on the saddle. It can also occur at the saddle due to the way the strings are tied as previously mentioned, or if the break angle across the saddle is very steep. In the latter case, that steep angle can cause the windings to bind up at the edge of the saddle and pull apart over time, leading to failure. If you do a lot of retuning back and forth to drop D, then that low E string will show wear first.

How old were the strings?
Right between the nut and tuning peg. The string was on for about seven month's. I did not even touch it.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar344 View Post
Right between the nut and tuning peg. The string was on for about seven month's. I did not even touch it.
Depending on how much you play, 7 months may be a long time for a string. Do you do much retuning of the low E for drop D or other alternate tunings? Does the angle of the string from the nut to roller cause it to contact the edge of the peghead slots? This isn't uncommon for the low and high E strings, especially if you wind to the outside of the roller. I'd look for any points of contact between the string and the guitar head, and/or check the string slot in the nut for sharp edges.

But still, 7 months is a long time for nylon strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical