The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2024, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Atkin Guitars and Coda Music (UK)

I recently picked up an Atkin 000 37 from Coda Music in England that was shipped to the US. No one state side had one. If you are in the market for a new Atkin I would strongly recommend contacting Chris or Kelvin at Coda Music. I emailed them about the 000 37 and the next day had a response from Chris. Asked for some sound samples and a few hours later had a 3 minute demo video. When I received the guitar i noticed a buzz on the open E, A and D strings (mostly E & D). They recommended that I let it acclimate for a couple of weeks. Finally took it in and it was noted the nut was cut slightly too low. I had a new nut cut and a complete set up. Coda Music re-imbursed for the additional cost of the nut. Great customer service!

They currently are showing 20 Atkin acoustic guitars in stock - https://www.coda-music.com/acoustic-guitars.html?cat=48 Note that the pricing includes 20% VAT which will be removed for sales that are shipped to the US.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

I have purchased three Atkins from them including my custom.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Kelvin sent me a personalized video of one of the guitars I was thinking about purchasing. Not only was that helpful, but they also gave me a significant discount off price. It was even discounted on Reverb.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

I've been working with the guys at Project Music to acquire a 19.

How many pounds were the shipping? I think I'm somewhere near 180 pounds
Old 03-01-2024, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc5865 View Post
I've been working with the guys at Project Music to acquire a 19.

How many pounds were the shipping? I think I'm somewhere near 180 pounds
Coda Music charged me 100 GBP for shipping via DHL. I then had Customs duties on top of that. Also careful with DHL. They scheduled delivery for a day I was out of town. I re-scheduled and they confirmed the new date. They delivered it on the original date anyway. They also didn't wait for a signature. I spent an hour on the phone before I was able to get someone to bring it in off my front porch where DHL left it - in Minnesota in January.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Kelvin sent me a personalized video of one of the guitars I was thinking about purchasing. Not only was that helpful, but they also gave me a significant discount off price. It was even discounted on Reverb.
Soups, was that ‘discount’ ~20%? If so, I wonder if it’s actually not discount, but the VAT (our version of the US’s sales tax) that is not chargeable on export sales to destinations outside the UK. Remember that, unlike in the US, our tax/customer protection laws require the ‘advertised’ price to include all taxes so that the customer is aware of the total price and doesn’t get a nasty surprise. And there isn’t the same ‘discount culture’ in the UK that exists in the US guitar market - we neither expect nor receive the deep discounts common over there, we generally have to pay the advertised price or very close to it.

BTW, your custom is a beautiful guitar, looking forward to hearing and seeing your demo video (hint, hint!). And Coda are great dealers - I bought my Lowden and Brook in their acoustics store.

Brook ĎLamornaí OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 03-02-2024 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:12 AM

Funnily enough, I was actually in Coda yesterday afternoon. I passed by with work, so popped in.

Amazing selection of guitars! Collings, Atkins, bourgeois, Martins, Gibsons, etc.

I dread to think how much money was just hanging on the wall in there?!

Very nice guys in there too.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Soups, was that Ďdiscountí ~20%? If so, I wonder if itís actually not discount, but the VAT (our version of the USís sales tax) that is not chargeable on export sales to destinations outside the UK. Remember that, unlike in the US, our tax/customer protection laws require the Ďadvertisedí price to include all taxes so that the customer is aware of the total price and doesnít get a nasty surprise. And there isnít the same Ďdiscount cultureí in the UK that exists in the US guitar market - we neither expect nor receive the deep discounts common over there, we generally have to pay the advertised price or very close to it.

BTW, your custom is a beautiful guitar, looking forward to hearing and seeing your demo video (hint, hint!). And Coda are great dealers - I bought my Lowden and Brook in their acoustics store.

The particular Guitar in question was listed on Reverb in US dollars, so I did have the VAT removed. I donít know how much percentage wise they took off after that, but it was several hundred gbp.

The VAT thing is nice in a lot of respects. But Iím happy to Not have to pay it!

Iím looking forward to being able to review it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion