The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-15-2020, 09:54 AM

Default Did You Know This.?? Amps/Guitars

EDIT: Please reply to my other thread titled.... "NewAmpDay." There is news there now. I apologize. This thread is an exaggeration. Mods.... Please delete this thread. I am sorry.

Do you know how important it is to bring your personal guitar to the shop to try with a particular amp that you are considering to purchase.?? I didn't know that.

Buyer beware, it is EXTREMELY important to do this.

I have 2 electric guitars. I just bought a $500 amp online. One of my guitars can't be played through the amp because I didn't "try it out" first. Sounds pitiful.

I have never read or heard this from anyone. Anywhere. EVAH.
It's more important to try an amp before you purchase it than playing an acoustic guitar before you purchase it. Really.?? Yup. Really.

I'm putting it out there for educational purposes. Now you know.

If you didn't know this, you do now. I found out.

Last edited by 3notes; 02-15-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:21 AM

I’m not sure if this applies to the op, but in my opinion if someone is entering into the world of tube amplification, it’s best to go with a standard model with standard, neutral speaker as a starting point. There are more options than ever nowadays with speakers voiced for specific applications but I think that’s for more experienced musicians who want to tailor the speaker to a specific application.

I’ve gone the route of extremely simple amps (very, very few dials) so it’s been an easy route for me. The first amp I purchased was a Fender Blues Junior III which taught me touch sensitivity and brightness as a starting point. Dark pickups even sound reasonable on it, the amp is that good.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:53 AM

It's not a new concept. If you want to know what your guitar sounds like through a certain amp, then by all means play it through that amp before buying. Which isn't always possible, of course. But while browsing music stores, I have seen a few guys bring their guitar in and do just that. Having said that, I have never found any guitar unplayable through a decent amp. Some sound better than others through particular amps, naturally, but if the guitar is good and the amp is good, than you should be able to get a good tone out of them. But: what sounds good to you might not sound good to me - personal taste and expectations always influence something as subjective as "good tone".
Old 02-15-2020, 11:27 AM

The OP seems to feel strongly about this, and what one does that works for them (or didn't) is not something that's easy to dispute. That said, I disagree.

Not in disagreement: amps sound different (even one amp type, depending on how it's controls are set, much less the differences in speaker age, tube type, etc) and yes, they interact with widely different guitars.

Also not in disagreement: electric guitars sound different. While I think we overemphasize this, I don't act day to day as if this is so (I own too many electric guitars and still enjoy that).

That said, I've never felt I needed to bring my personal electric guitar(s) with me to test an amp in a store that also stocks electric guitars. And in my case (remember: too many electric guitars...) it'd be comically nutty for me to pay a cartage company to bring all my guitars from my studio to their store. My general in-store routine is to pick a Telecaster off the wall and test the amp candidate with that. I chose a Tele because I've played Tele's for years and kind of know how a traditional Tele sounds in various amp contexts. Yes, yes, I'm sure a custom shop or vintage blackguard Tele sounds different from something like a Vintage Vibe Squier off the rack, but IMHO, "close enough for rock'n'roll."

I suppose if I was buying an amp from a private party I might grab one of my Teles to take and test out the amp before buying.

Now, in my decades of buying this and that (generally not high end, boutique stuff) have my methods led to amps I don't keep? Yes. I've found that only the test of time tells me how much I'll love and use an amp*, and there are factors beyond just the sound that come into play. That could be considered a "bug" in the system, but I've actually enjoyed the hunt and the experience of different amps enough that I've accepted it. If I had the money, I'd have done more, not less of it.

I will also testify that understanding how to best use a good amp sometimes takes awhile. General experience with more different amps and their settings sometimes shortens this period of adjustment.

*One huge factor is band context. Amps that sound nice in a showroom don't always translate into a recording mix or stage, even without the factors of "my aging body doesn't want to haul heavy amps anymore." Another factor for many here is that home guitar players can't really get some good stage amps into their sweet spot in their home situation.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 02-15-2020 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-15-2020, 11:44 AM

I'm sorry OP, but if I'm not mistaken - aren't you relatively new to playing electric?

There is a learning curve to using amps and how best to pair their tones with particular guitars. You have had this amp for what now? 1-2 days? Do you really think you have learned how to get the most out of an amp with multiple amp models and eq in a day or two? I think not. Much of this is user error IMO. Not throwing stones, it takes a while for any of us to learn to optimize a more complex setup than a straight 1 or 2 channel tube amp.

It's common knowledge that some amps "play better" with certain guitar types and pickups and is very much subjective to boot.

I'm pretty sure that there are guys that can get a great tone from single coil guitars with one:

That said, if you hate it that much, pay the shipping and send it back. Better to lose shipping both ways then to pay 500 bucks for a piece of gear you don't like.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-15-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I'm sorry OP, but if I'm not mistaken - aren't you relatively new to playing electric?

There is a learning curve to using amps and how best to pair their tones with particular guitars. You have had this amp for what now? 1-2 days? Do you really think you have learned how to get the most out of an amp with multiple amp models and eq in a day or two? I think not. Much of this is user error IMO. Not throwing stones, it takes a while for any of us to learn to optimize a more complex setup than a straight 1 or 2 channel tube amp.

It's common knowledge that some amps "play better" with certain guitar types and pickups and is very much subjective to boot.

I'm pretty sure that there are guys that can get a great tone from single coil guitars with one:

That said, if you hate it that much, pay the shipping and send it back. Better to lose shipping both ways then to pay 500 bucks for a piece of gear you don't like.
Very good demo - looks like it’s the stock speaker version - for home use, doesn’t sound at all deficient in any way.

Good point on learning to use an amp if one is starting out. I disliked my first BJIII for about one whole year only because it exposed my poor musicianship by revealing all the inaccuracies of my playing due to touch sensitive articulation.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:10 PM

What do you mean by it can't be played by one guitar? Does the guitar not work in that amp or is it that you don't like the tone? I wonder if you have a problem with the amp?

I am aware that when you buy an amp you have the option to bring in your guitar to try it out. I've never done that before because I try the amp with the same type of guitar I'll be playing at home and I've had no problems.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I would disagree, but if it works for the OP, then good on him!

I didn't have to play my modded Gibson ES-345 through my SF Deluxe Reverb to know that is what I wanted... frankly, if a guitar didn't sound "good" through a good Deluxe Reverb, I'd have to say it was the guitar, not the amp! EVERYTHING sounds great through a Deluxe! (To me)

I'd still say that playing an acoustic guitar before buying it is more important in the grand scheme of things... lots of things can be done to both electric guitars and amps to change/shift/improve their sound... but an acoustic guitar is gonna sound like it does no matter what you do to it (barring very minor sonic tweaks).
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-15-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
It's not a new concept. If you want to know what your guitar sounds like through a certain amp, then by all means play it through that amp before buying. Which isn't always possible, of course. But while browsing music stores, I have seen a few guys bring their guitar in and do just that. Having said that, I have never found any guitar unplayable through a decent amp. Some sound better than others through particular amps, naturally, but if the guitar is good and the amp is good, than you should be able to get a good tone out of them. But: what sounds good to you might not sound good to me - personal taste and expectations always influence something as subjective as "good tone".
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is exactly how I always thought it was. Today, I learned that is NOT the case. Let me be clear in all due respect ...... This isn't about tone. This is a great amp with a very good guitar. Pair the 2 together and I'm packing up and going home. This is about an amp sounding soo bad....... she got up off the couch and immediately said..... Shut it down.!! Trust me on this. There is no guitar player that would call that a good set up. As of now, the set up is deemed..... Unplayable.

As for me, I'm signing off on this thread. I've stated my case. And there is no more to learn. And Sweetwater is taking very good care of me. And that's priceless. If the next amp doesn't work I'm headed for a Yamaha THR 30 watt wireless.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What do you mean by it can't be played by one guitar? Does the guitar not work in that amp or is it that you don't like the tone? I wonder if you have a problem with the amp?

I am aware that when you buy an amp you have the option to bring in your guitar to try it out. I've never done that before because I try the amp with the same type of guitar I'll be playing at home and I've had no problems.
You hit the nail on the head. The guitar does not work in the new amp. I did a test with my loop pedal. It played back through the amp the same way that it sounds live. Just horrible. I'm uploading it now to my computer. I recorded the sample this morning. So, I will try to post a link here. Sometime soon. Not sure I can do it. We'll see.....
Old 02-15-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
You hit the nail on the head. The guitar does not work in the new amp. I did a test with my loop pedal. It played back through the amp the same way that it sounds live. Just horrible. I'm uploading it now to my computer. I recorded the sample this morning. So, I will try to post a link here. Sometime soon. Not sure I can do it. We'll see.....
I've never heard of that,

* Assuming that it's the same cable as used with the working guitar and the "not working" guitar still works in another amp?
* You're not using a speaker cable instead of an instrument cable are you?
* Does it have active pickups with a near dead battery?

I'm guessing that the answer is "no" to both questions above but I need to ask.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Do you know how important it is to bring your personal guitar to the shop to try with a particular amp that you are considering to purchase.??

I have never read or heard this from anyone. Anywhere. EVAH...
Quote:
...I'm signing off on this thread. I've stated my case. And there is no more to learn...
Actually, if you look at my reply (Post #22) to your post "Buying an amp is no picnic..." on the following thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572050

- that's essentially what I suggested (any A/B test I've undertaken in the last six decades has been with one of my own instruments), as have I and any one of a number of other Electric subforum regulars in response to different inquiries over the years; in fact, that's what this little corner of the AGF is all about - we plug-in-and-crank-it-up gear junkies offer our admittedly highly-subjective evaluations of new gear. and recommend auditions to our fellow members. Been pretty successful so far in terms of give-&-take: thanks to a series of glowing reviews (thanks, Roy... ) I'm the happy owner of a Vox MV50 AC head that will see good use at our band's upcoming Beatles tribute, and as a consequence of my own recommendations there are enough Bugera V-Series amp and Gretsch Electromatic guitar owners here to fill the LA Coliseum - most of which took place after a hands-on test play (PSA: some of us with long experience can in fact purchase sight unseen/unheard, based on decades of familiarity with the specific tonalities of the equipment involved - never try this as a relative newbie). While any and all of us are more than willing to offer our advice - heck, I'm almost as happy about someone else's NGD as I am my own - remember that any judgements you read are made through our ears, with our guitars set up to our preferred specs, under the constraints of a specific situation (viz. a major metro-area Guitar Center/Sam Ash on a Saturday afternoon vis-a-vis a high-end boutique dealer on a Wednesday morning), and with specific individual examples of the items in question (as many of us old-timers can tell you there can be variations between amplifiers of the same make/model, albeit less so than with guitars - today's mass-produced electronics can be quite consistent - but there nevertheless, hence the recurring YMMV caveat); truth be told there's plenty to learn - and that's why even us guitar geezers keep coming back...

Sorry you got burned - FWIW we all do at one time or another, regardless of experience - but by the same token I'm glad you bought from Sweetwater as IME their customer service is the best in the online business; here's hoping your second purchase works out more favorably...
Old 02-15-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
but by the same token I'm glad you bought from Sweetwater as IME their customer service is the best in the online business; here's hoping your second purchase works out more favorably...
Agreed. I’ve dealt with Sweetwater almost exclusively the past 10 years. Whether it be for personal or, business purchases. They’re always fantastic. Quick shippers. Great communicators, and I get great discounts.

You’re in good hands 3notes. Sweetwater has a fabulous reputation for a reason. Im sure you’ll get it squared away. Sometimes these little “hiccups” are actually good things. I’ve learned a lot from dealing with things that should’ve worked, but didn’t. Keep us posted once the replacement arrives.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-15-2020, 07:05 PM

I appreciate everyone's replies here. I have news. And I'm embarassed. And I should be. Not.!!! Well, a little. I feel bad for everyone who replied. To those I am sorry.

The issue is my Yamaha Pacifica. It's the guitar. And I can't tell you how happy I am. I get to keep the amp that my Gretsch loves.!! The Fender Super Champ x2.

How to begin.?? It's the guitar. Not the amp. The 3 treble strings are out of whack for sure. The bass strings might be out but not as bad as the treble strings. It seems that way to me, anyways, but what do I know, right.??wink. Tunes up great. The guitar literally went bad when I took delivery of the new amp. I was playing it when FedEx showed up with the new amp. Truth. And when I chose it to play the first notes on the new amp, one hour later and it was bad. But I couldn't know which was bad. Guitar or amp. I assumed the amp. I was wrong to do that.

So I did what I should have done right away. Plug the guitar into the 'old' amp. I did and it revealed a bad guitar. Unplayable. It was just magnified on the Super Champ. I love that guitar. I used to, anyways. I'm sure it's under warranty as I bought it this past December.

Like I said, the guitar tunes up great using a Boss chromatic pedal tuner. It 'sounds' horribly out of tune. I think I mentioned the words... out of phase. It sounds like the intonation is out. But it isn't. Something is malfunctioning. Its strange brew. Trust me on that one. This isn't about bad tone. This isn't about my ears. I posted somewhere that anyone would agree, it sounded horrible.

I have a sound clip to post here but it's not allowing me to copyand paste. If anyone could help me I would be happy to share the sound clip. PM here and I'll give you my personal email address and I can forward it to you. I'd like the clip to be posted here for everyone to hear. Something is terribly wrong and I don't know what could have caused it.?? The guitar doesn't even have it's first ding.!!

Last edited by 3notes; 02-15-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
It played back through the amp the same way that it sounds live. Just horrible......
What does this even mean? What amp and what guitar?

Why so vague?

Edit: I see you cleared up some things. So just seems like your guitar is borked.

I mail-ordered my Princeton Reverb Reissue having never played through one before. But I knew how it would sound with my Tele and Strat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars