The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2020, 12:03 AM

Default Gibson sg?

Considering buying one in the next couple months. Whats the difference between the special, standard, 61 standard, modern,maestro vibrola, and sideways vibrola?

Also, ive heard that a lot of gibson electrics these days, especially sgs, have a horrible problem of not staying in tune. Thoughts?

I currently own a custom shop fender strat from maybe 10 years ago and love it. However, id like another nice electric...something with a thick, fat, thumpy tone to add some variety from my bright/twangy strat. Played a few axes at the guitar shop (les paul, es335, gretsch professional, sg standard 61 maestro vibrola) and sg sounded best for that. Are there any others i should try?

Im thinking the most i wanna spend would be $2k or so but for the right axe i may be willing to go higher.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2020, 12:15 AM

If you’re concerned with SG tuning stability, look at the ‘61 SG hardtail instead of vibrola equipt models. Unless of course that’s the draw for you to an SG. I myself love the look of those vibrolas, but I only play hard tails.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:21 AM

You're going to come out of this with a real nice guitar. I think you are on the right track after mentioning Gibsons. The SG is a really cool guitar. To have alongside your Strat would be some nice humbucker pickups. Gibson. That said, I'm no pro. I have a Yamaha strat that I love. I have a Gretsch with Filter Tron pickups. Nice sounding for sure. Great playability too.

Take your time. If you'd consider spending less I think the Yamaha Revstar series is awesome, though I haven't played any. Check out the 502T. Yamaha does it right. imo.

PRS makes some nice guitars. Ya. Check out the John Mayer Silver Sky. Strat shape with humbuckers. $2200 I think. Incredible tone. I'd definately check out that guitar.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:26 AM

All of them have their ups and downs, but I would steer from the sideways vibrato model, that is just a bad trem system. Why Gibson reissued the sideways trem, when the originals were known to be terrible, is beyond me. And I'm a huge Gibson fanboy! My favorite SG is the Special, I have the historic version and it's one of my favorite guitars of all time...

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/alll-went-wrong
Old 02-09-2020, 12:42 AM

You'll poke your eye out with one of those things!

Les Pauls are way safer. And better.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:44 PM

I think the tuning issues might be related to the quality of the nut as well as the inbuilt issue due to the headstock angle (the strings are angled over the nut which makes binding - sticking - harder to avoid). If you get a guitar with these issues then make sure the nut is properly slotted for the gauge of strings you prefer (if it is setup for .009s and you prefer .010s then the strings might get stuck when tuning and bending etc). Also, when changing strings use some sort of nut sauce; I’ve starting using it and it makes a big difference.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-09-2020, 12:56 PM

My 2018 SG Standard sounds great. Will NOT stay in tune.
My 1958 Les Paul Jr and 1965 Melody Maker will NOT stay in tune.

Of the multiple ES335s I had, tuning was not a problem.

My two PRS, three Fenders, and Brondel get played for two hours, go in the case, and come out ready to play.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:38 PM

I like the 61 SG because of the small pick gauge I believe it looks better. Also the last time I played a Gibson SG I like the neck better on the 61.
I’d go with the Standard over the special unless you like the pickups better on the Special.
To me the 61 SG sounds, looks, and plays better.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:16 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I agree that any problems with tuning can be handled with a setup involving proper filing of the nut. The 61 Standard contains all the characteristics I was looking for when I tracked down the last one of a limited edition created by Dave's Guitar Shop, except the pickups. I don't know the '61 Burstbuckerss. I do know the '57 Classics and that is what mine came with. You can read about mine, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-09-2020, 10:56 PM

I have 3 Gibson SGs (Standard with 57 Classics, SGJ with '61s, and 50s Tribute with P90s) and they're great guitars. I don't experience the tuning issues that others do but they are all hardtails. Same with my Les Pauls.

You won't need to spend $2k for a great SG. I recommend trying to understand the differences in the pickups between the models and then trying them all out to see what peaks your interest. You may want to skip the tremolo on the SG if you don't really need it.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
My 2018 SG Standard sounds great. Will NOT stay in tune.
My 1958 Les Paul Jr and 1965 Melody Maker will NOT stay in tune.

Of the multiple ES335s I had, tuning was not a problem.

My two PRS, three Fenders, and Brondel get played for two hours, go in the case, and come out ready to play.
That's interesting. And relevant. Anyone here have an issue with tuning on the 3 mentioned guitars.?? In all due respect, it's a serious question.

Tuning on electric guitars is essential. One of the issues I had was having the guitar "sound" like it was out of tune but, it was me fingering chords and pulling or pushing the strings out of tune. Electrics can be fussy about playing a clean chord. For me at least. I'm getting a lot better at it after playing an acoustic for years.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:13 PM

I'm a Gibson LP guy, so I can't really comment on SGs. I have a LP Special and it compares quite nicely with my LP Standard despite costing less than half money. Perhaps it's the same comparing SGs from those equivalent models.

Regarding tuning issues, I've encountered them and it was always remedied by getting the nutslots filed the way the should be. For some reason Gibson's quality control on the nuts in particular was pretty bad for a number of years. My latest LP, a 2018 LP Standard, had no issues at all. I've been reading good things about Gibson's QC the past couple of years so it seems they turned a corner there.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I really like the simple slab style Specials of late-hearing really good things about them concerning setup and build quality(and the prices are reasonable)
Uh, make mine a TV yellow LP and i'll take that blue SG please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JSxtyqNJY

this is a neat video to watch

Sweetwater & Gibson Ruined My Life :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9BP72TXIk
Old 02-12-2020, 04:10 AM

SGs are awesome, they won’t disappoint!

If I had to buy a brand new 2019/20 Gibson SG it would the base Standard 61, and I’d probably swap out the 61 pups for a pair of ‘57 Classics

Personally though, I would go for an earlier Standard model or a ‘61 Reissue. 1991-2016 are my favorites and the 2017-2018 Standards are good too. You should be able to get any of these in mint, “like new”, or even NOS condition for less than the $1799 that they’re are asking for a 2019/20 SG Standard 61.

Good luck

Last edited by Birchtop; 02-24-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Removed pics
Old 02-13-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
All of them have their ups and downs, but I would steer from the sideways vibrato model, that is just a bad trem system. Why Gibson reissued the sideways trem, when the originals were known to be terrible, is beyond me. And I'm a huge Gibson fanboy! My favorite SG is the Special, I have the historic version and it's one of my favorite guitars of all time...

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/alll-went-wrong
I'm not knocking your choices. The 1963 SG Special I had in the late '60s was awful. It sounded muddy no matter what I did.

I do love me custom shop 58 Les Paul Jr. and my 96 Goldtop LE Standard (Limited Edition limited till they ran out of LE decals). So it's me and an SG thing. Possibly only that particular SG thing.

If YOU like it buy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars