The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-18-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrooks View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am not interested in using the app or a computer. I am already sick of adjusting things and don't want to get into more of it.

I am planning to try some of the tips you guys have suggested and keep experimenting. Meanwhile, I will also be checking reverb and such for a great deal on a blues junior.

Silliness. And the BJ is a bright amp to begin with, and far less adjustable than the Katana. Post your settings on the Katana.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-18-2020, 11:27 AM

Thing is, unless you’re a tinkerer, you may end up with a BJ you don’t like. Always best to try in person as bias to tube outcome will vary from example to example. I happened upon a super sweet III but maybe not quite the norm. The current IV is much less bright and more palpable to the general public.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am not interested in using the app or a computer. I am already sick of adjusting things and don't want to get into more of it.

I am planning to try some of the tips you guys have suggested and keep experimenting. Meanwhile, I will also be checking reverb and such for a great deal on a blues junior.
I'm confident you'll find a pleasing tone somewhere in the Katana.

Also, yeah the BJ can be a bit bright-ish too. If you go tube and buy online, you should at least listen to a Bluebreaker 007 first or a Supro Bluesking.

As Bob has said, even though Tele's are known for their spank and ice-pick grind, they can be manipulated for playing Blues and Classic rock stuff pretty easily too.

Keep at it & I wish you luck.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-18-2020, 12:13 PM

The tone knob is your friend on a Telecaster.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-18-2020, 01:32 PM

the reason i try them in the store, just makes sense to me, i gave up on those amps where you have to fiddle with everything and software just to get a sound your looking for, to me its just a PITA. a good EQ or modeling mode is enough for me to choose an amp, personally, i think a tube or even a hybrid amp is a better choice
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-18-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

One big plus for using the computer is that you can save things as presets and have things you can go back to if you forget how you had it.

Also you have access to all of the effects in the system so you will be able to achieve things that you cannot from just the panel controls. (Like setting a global parametric eq which is the ideal counter to excessive brightness).
If you have a mkii you have access to a guitar simulator similar to the Variax line that lets you use modeled humbuckers for your single coil pickup which would definitely change you away from that strat sound.

Lastly with the computer you have access to tons of settings that other people have already developed that can be quickly applied and tried.

When I first bought my Katana I almost sent it back as I didn't like what I was hearing but I read all of the online commentary saying it takes time and to keep at it. I'm glad I did. Once you have the learnings there is probably nothing out there that gives you the versatility and quality tone bang for the buck. That said I have a katana 100 not a 50.

I recently purchased a Tone King Falcon Grande and love it. It was pretty quick to dial in some great tones. However, with some perseverance and learning I've been able to get the Katana to sound nearly identical when I play it through the tone king speaker and pretty close through the Katana speaker and I'm still keeping both and play both if that says anything.

Quote:

Last edited by Aspiring; 02-18-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:

You only have to use the app once though. It's not that big of a deal.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-18-2020, 08:08 PM

I use my Tele's bridge pickup for mostly lead playing, no matter what the amp I'm using. (Middle position or neck pickup when playing any sort of rhythm).
Old 02-19-2020, 05:38 AM

Default Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster

https://www.musicgoround.com/product...hoCAn4QAvD_BwE

I've used one of these with a telecaster into a solid state amp with good results...

Here is a longer description of the pedal:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 02-19-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I own a Katana 50 and can use a tele with no problems. My issue is that I love tube Amos! My favorite is my PRRI. Great amp for cleans. I am thinking if trading the Katana in at GC today and picking up a Bassbreaker 15 for when I want some crunch!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars