The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-08-2020, 09:54 AM

Default Plexi... Now I get it

Just received my Marshall Studio Vintage head. Holy cow, I finally understand the hype of Plexi amps now. This is just wonderful. Loud, but wonderful. How does the Origin Compare? Well, it doesn’t. Not in the least. The SV20 is smoooooth as butter. I’m playing it in the normal channel on the low input. Perfect for pedals and it just soaks them up. I’m truly in awe. I’ve had some nice amps from Two Rock to Dr Z, and nothing puts the smile on my face like this thing.

My question is what to do with the Origin. Right now, it’s going to be used for decoration on my shelf. The pricing on these was just lowered, so I probably won’t get but about $275-300 for it. That could get a couple nice pedals to finish my board....or, should I just keep it for the shelf? I thought about replacing it with a DSL20HR for variety. I don’t see me ever plugging into the Origin again.

Here she is! Can’t say enough good things. I have a JHS Little Black Box volume pedal on the way and a short jumper cable so I can explore more soon.

IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg
Old 02-08-2020, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Wow, congratulations! Awesome amp!

I looked this Marshall amp up on Sweetwater and they have a well done video on their page that illustrates the tones from both a Les Paul and a Strat.

A signficant investment, particularly when adding a 2x12 speaker cabinet, but a killer amplifier for the ages! Good for you! I am totally envious!

- Glenn
Old 02-08-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow, congratulations! Awesome amp!

I looked this Marshall amp up on Sweetwater and they have a well done video on their page that illustrates the tones from both a Les Paul and a Strat.

A signficant investment, particularly when adding a 2x12 speaker cabinet, but a killer amplifier for the ages! Good for you! I am totally envious!

- Glenn

The cab is actually the $299 Origin 2x12. Can’t beat it!!!
Old 02-08-2020, 03:26 PM

I say hold on to the Origin until the honeymoon is over with the Studio Vintage. Guessing you won't change your mind but you never know. Pull out the Origin again in a couple of weeks and you may decide to keep both. Just fool around with the EQ.

Congrats! That's a beautiful looking setup head/cab.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I say hold on to the Origin until the honeymoon is over with the Studio Vintage. Guessing you won't change your mind but you never know. Pull out the Origin again in a couple of weeks and you may decide to keep both. Just fool around with the EQ.

Congrats! That's a beautiful looking setup head/cab.
There is no looking back to the Origin. The Studio Vintage is just that good. I've got a volume box inbound to help with the loudness of the amp though. I plan on selling the Origin and picking up a DSL20 head because I do really like the look of all the Marshall love in the room!
Old 02-11-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
There is no looking back to the Origin. The Studio Vintage is just that good. I've got a volume box inbound to help with the loudness of the amp though. I plan on selling the Origin and picking up a DSL20 head because I do really like the look of all the Marshall love in the room!
The DSL20HR is an amp I've wanted for a year now and I've never played one before. That's the new re-release that came out a couple of years ago and I've read so many great reviews on that reissue series ("R"). Not just the 20w but all of them.

Make sure you post a NAD thread if you do get the DSL20. It'll sound a lot different than your Origin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars