The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I only record for personal use and don’t have the skills / experience to do much to something I didn’t ‘capture’ well. I believe my recording room is luckily good to start with. My order varies but usually:

Pan and gain
Edit - if needed and possible
High pass filter if needed
Reverb if required
Final check of gain

I don’t compress, or EQ (other than HPF) and just in a few instances have had to reduce a noise.
Lovely playing, RodB.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Since I am relatively new at all this studio stuff. Here is my seat of the pants workflow for Drum Covers.

Set up mics. Kick, Snare and 2 overheads

EDIT -- I'll get back to this shortly....
Anyway....

Once everything is hooked up and functioning.

Create a new set file in Ableton using a template file I created for drum covers.

Add all my backing tracks in separate channel strips.

Activate all live mic channels.

Set levels on interface.

In Ableton, I set the pans on the overheads to hard left and hard right.

Snare and kick mics are dynamic and don't need a lot of fussing about.

Run thru song a few times to get into my head what I want to do and what I shouldnt be doing on the kit for any particular song. I work out my fills and little things with hi-hats and kick/snare pattern.

Now that I am warmed up. Press record and play. If I mess up, I stop and delete by clicking "UNDO RECORD" and it wipes my active channels clean without changing any settings.

Rinse and repeat until I have a couple of takes i am happy with.

Now the fun begins

EQ and Compression to taste on the 4 drum tracks. I add additional reverb to snare mic track only.

Bounce all 4 of these to a send track with a reverb plugin and adjust sliders to balance the drums. The reverb on the send track helps to fatten the sound of the kit. I bounce the send to the Master.

I bounce the backing track to a 2nd send drop in an EQ plugin to tweak it. I bounce it to the Master also.

I set the slider sends to balance the drums and the backing track so it sounds good to me. I try to keep the sliders set below -3 db so I have some headroom to master the track.

I export the Master track to a WAV file.

I then open a new session to master the file.

I don't do a whole lot other than a EQ/Compression plugin and a Stereo Enhancer plug in. Setting the gains on those plug-ins to keep me from clipping the track.

I export the track again mastered.

Then I upload it to my iTunes and play it in various places like my car with it's hi-end stereo. Also with ear buds and closed headphones, my iPhone speaker, the soundbar on my TV and lastly computer speakers too. If it all sounds good in those places, then I'm happy.

I then use Corel VideoStudio 18 to make videos using my mastered track.

I just did my first multi-camera video yesterday.

What I don't know is how it sounds to someone who is not me. While I have a teacher who's learning me how to play the drums, I don't have someone telling how to mix and master tracks.

Without trying to sound overly self indulgent and pretentious, can someone give this a listen and tell me if it sounds OK or like total crap on your speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUS6jkQsmus
Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 AM

'Post processing' should never be looked at as a '1 size fits all' thing. A solo guitar track is much different than a guitar + voice is much different than a multiple instrument mix.

As Doug posted on page 1, getting it right "going in" is key - mic technique/placement, room acoustics. Otherwise you have to fix things just to get started.

I track in the -18 to -12dBFS range, so never worry about adding gain at the mixing stage.
I usually put a touch of compression on first to tame the loud attack (because I use a pick 90% of the time).
EQ is done in one step, so the HPF come into play. I seldom need any EQ on my Taylor except to make it sit in a mix with other instruments better. My Ibanez 12 string needs a cut on the high end/boost on the low end to balance it.
When mixing multi-instruments, I get all the levels and EQs and compression set before adding reverb to all the tracks.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Lovely playing, RodB.
Thanks very much - great guitars, a lot of time taken during recording and a lot of ‘out-takes’ that never made it...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD