The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-17-2019, 04:21 PM

Default satin polishing ?

is it o.k.to polish a satin finish guitar? I'm worried that the polish will sink in and change the look and more importantly the sound. any opinions?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:58 PM

Default ambiguous 'satin'

Does OP's guitar have a smooth finish or a pore-showing non-shiny finish? It matters. I finish my guitars with a 'satin', as opposed to 'gloss', finish, but they are as fully finished as gloss finishes just not shiny. That sort of finish can be buffed. The open pored finishes, I think, don't have enough finish on then to allow buffing.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by your uncle al View Post
is it o.k.to polish a satin finish guitar? I'm worried that the polish will sink in and change the look and more importantly the sound. any opinions?
What do you mean by, "polish"? Clean it or make it more glossy? Either way, it won't change the sound.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF. If you mean polish with a product, be careful what you choose. Some products are not recommended for open pore or satin finishes because the wax can build up. I use Music Nomad's "Guitar Detailer," which is different than their "One" product b/c it's safe for use on open pore, satin, ukuleles, etc. I use their "One" product on my gloss finished tops, but sparingly... mostly, I just use a clean, dry (or slightly damp) cloth to keep it clean. Hope this helps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair