The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I suppose it's a trade off between having the control close by and hauling/hooking up one more thing. Always trade offs!

I am back in the land of Bose so I'm using a T1 that sits on a little table right next to me.

After 11 plus years of using Bose L1 systems, I sold them all a couple of years ago and bought a mess of QSC speakers and a TouchMix 8. I used that stuff for a year, sold all of that and bought two of the original Eon Ones. I continued to use the TouchMix 8 with the Eon Ones. After quite a bit of back and forth I went back to the Bose and bought an L1 Model 2 with a B2 and the T1 mixer.

The Nano looks cool!

I shouldn't say this out loud but I think I'm done fooling with gear. I spent a ton of time, energy and money trying to find something that works better (for me and what I do) than the Bose L1 system and I couldn't so I'm taking that as a sign! (for now!)

Matt

Matt, I think you made the right decision. The only thing that held me back from buying the L1 and T1 was the price. I didn’t want to invest the $3,000 in something that I use infrequently. But, if I gigged as much as you do, I probably would use the L1 system too. Oddly enough, with all the various speakers I’ve bought in the last few years, I probably spent close to $3,000 experimenting. So, I could have bought the L1S, at the very least. :-). Live and learn.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Matt, I think you made the right decision. The only thing that held me back from buying the L1 and T1 was the price. I didn’t want to invest the $3,000 in something that I use infrequently. But, if I gigged as much as you do, I probably would use the L1 system too. Oddly enough, with all the various speakers I’ve bought in the last few years, I probably spent close to $3,000 experimenting. So, I could have bought the L1S, at the very least. :-). Live and learn.
Don't worry Dave, I used to have the L1S+B1+T1 and it's much heavier than what you have. Also I think QSC touchmix is more convenient to use than the T1.

Also don't forget that you were very happy with the Line 6 L3T... and it did not prevent you for chasing unicorns.

Somehow I think our money is consistently looking for a way to escape from the wallet.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-27-2017, 06:23 AM

One thing to try is to power a USB mixer like Yamaha AG03 or AG06 with teh JBL eon one pro

The AG06 draws 500mA (in principle the JBL eon one pro USB feeds 500mA)

and provides 60dB mic adjustable gain and 56dB on the Hi-Z (only 20dB on the AG03).
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-27-2017, 06:33 AM

Default Exciting New PA Option: JBL EON ONE Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
One thing to try is to power a USB mixer like Yamaha AG03 or AG06 with teh JBL eon one pro

The AG06 draws 500mA (in principle the JBL eon one pro USB feeds 500mA)

and provides 60dB mic adjustable gain and 56dB on the Hi-Z (only 20dB on the AG03).

That’s a terrific idea Cuki! Does it output to analog connections? And, yes, our money does consistently try escape from, our wallets. :-).

Get back in there money!

[Edit]. It appears that the AG06 has analog stereo/balanced output that would tie directly into Eon One Pro. Very cool idea.

Last edited by martingitdave; 09-27-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 PM

Very cool idea, using a usb powered mixer as a pre-amp.

------------
So, I got my second JBL One Pro.

Musician's Friend really has terrible packers. They put it in a second box that was falling apart. They didn't pack the inside with anything but paper and it wasn't enough to make a difference. At least it did arrive OK, only 4 of the 8 foam corner corners of the foam damaged this time.

No noise from the inputs on this one. Everything works and is the same in terms of gain.

The tower pieces seem to fit a little more snug on this one. This is a good thing.

As @martingitdave pointed out the Cloudlifter is too hot for the input. I can barely turn up the level on the input before it started to sound bad. This in mic mode. In Line mode it isn't much different than mic mode without a pre-amp (not enough gain). So I no longer think this type of pre-amp is a good solution for the gain issue of the JBL One Pro, at least with the e935.

This unit's battery was not charged to any significant degree. It flashed all red a couple of times. I'll have to wait until it is fully charged to see if the high-pitched sound happens on battery only. It did on the other unit.

The flap is still a little hard to get off like the first one, however on this second one the tabs that hook into the base don't push back in easily.

Again, when plugged in, the mixer gets very very hot. Will burn you if you leave your hand on it too long. If you have cables plugged in they will be hot too. This makes me concerned about it's longevity, the battery, the PCB, my cables. It is quite disturbing.

The deal breaker, the high-pitched sound is in this unit too. It is occurring more frequently on this one. I took video again and one of the videos was over 2 minutes long. When I called JBL about this noise on the first One Pro they told me to return it.

This is a real bummer.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:57 AM

The high pitch is only when it works on battery? Maybe some DC-DC converter is dumping noise in the audio circuit... Probably a bad design.

I read elsewhere that the JBL eon one also could get very hot. The HK nano for example even with a class-D amp has a fan to cool the thing. I am afraid the thing would eventually burn.

For $1500 I think there is too many problems to keep it.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-28-2017, 02:03 AM

From Pax-eterna (SOS forum):
Quote:
Just bought a pair of JBL Eon 1 speakers. They have passive cooling and I have noticed the rear panel gets very warm to, yes, even hot in operation. The screws are "nearly" too hot to hold your hand on them, and the plastic panel you can hold you hand on it, but it is close to too hot as well.

I asked the dealer who spoke to the distributor who said this was normal?? So I ahve sent a confirmation question to JBL (USA I think??)

Anyhoo, has any other owners experienced the sme thing?

Thanks
JBL response:
Quote:
Hi Dennis,

I cooked the unit over night, and I found that the screws on the back panel are screwed into the heat sink of the amp and do get hot... But it is part of the normal operation for the amp and not to worry. We thank you for your input and concerns on this matter.

Thanks

Everett Watts
JBL Professional
Technical Support
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
The high pitch is only when it works on battery? Maybe some DC-DC converter is dumping noise in the audio circuit... Probably a bad design.

I read elsewhere that the JBL eon one also could get very hot. The HK nano for example even with a class-D amp has a fan to cool the thing. I am afraid the thing would eventually burn.

For $1500 I think there is too many problems to keep it.
The high pitched noise on the first one was both plugged in and on battery. On this one I've only been able to test powered, because the battery hadn't charged up. It is definitely a bad design. On this one the sound goes from a growl and gets higher and higher and higher. It has also gone from high to low.

I'll be calling JBL again later today to see what they say.

Maybe its coil whine as described in this video, except it doesn't happen all the time only intermittent, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HsXHqtxrI
Old 09-28-2017, 12:31 PM

I've had the One Pro on for about 3 1/2 hours on battery. I haven't heard the high-pitched noise, but I didn't hear some random shhh noise that lasted a couple of seconds. This is on battery.

So my main concerns are that high pitched noise and the heat when plugged in. If you had it plugged in and was outside on a hot day it might just melt. It doesn't get hot when on battery. The mixer is warm, but not hot when on just the battery.

Maybe the high pitched noise is the battery charging up. Who knows. I haven't had time to call JBL yet.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Exciting New PA Option: JBL EON ONE Pro

My first thought was that the noise and heat were related to charging the battery. After charging, you’ll have to let us know how it performs. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:50 PM

The problem is anytime you have it plugged in it is HOT even when the battery is done charging. The first one I left plugged in overnight to charge the battery and the mixer was still hot the next morning. That battery was over half charged when I received it on the first one. The second one the battery wasn't charged at all. What I'm concerned about is the longevity of the One Pro if it heats up this way.

If the heat and high-pitched noise are related to charging the battery then I guess the way to go would be to charge the battery and then just going unplugged when performing. That or buy something else ;-)

I'm going to work with the One Pro with just the mixer alone to see if it will work for grab and go. For grab and go it would be my Journey OF-660 and my mic. Then I'll work it out with my VoiceLive 3x.

It still sounds good and even, like the original One.

So far, in the hours it has been on battery, I have not heard the high-pitched sound. Once the battery gets to about half I'll plug it back in and see what happens.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 09-28-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
It still sounds good and even, like the original One.
With the smaller driver and slightly less power for the sub, I've been really curious to hear if they'd been able to keep the same amount of apparent bottom end at volume through the magic of either a better driver or electronics.

Let us know how they compare for bottom end and headroom when you get the chance.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-28-2017, 05:43 PM

The headroom seems the same to me. It can get very loud if you give it a hot signal. But I will record some video/audio to compare with my Sony HDR-MV1 which has really nice mics for capturing the audio.

The bass is not as boomy, likely because of the smaller speaker, but the bass is still very present. It isn't as tight as I'd want it, but it could be the room I was in. I'll be able to do some better testing this weekend in a bigger living room that would simulate a cafe. My living room has very high ceilings and is open to the dining room and after that french doors to another room so I'll get to see how nice it sounds up close and further away.

-----------------

So I let the battery go down to two red bars (there are 8 battery indicator bars) and it is now plugged in. It's been an hour and I haven't heard the high-pitched noise. What I am hearing though is intermittent scratchy/shhh noise - nothing is plugged into the inputs, all inputs are at 12 o'clock and the master is at 2 o'clock. That noise happened on battery too. Nothing so far more than 10 seconds. I have to go to band practice in 20 minutes so I'll unplug and plug it back in when I get back.

The HK Audio Nano 608i has really intrigued me so I bought a demo unit from Full Compass Audio. No battery, but appears to have a much better mixer and I heard HK is no slouch when it comes to sound. Being able to do stereo is cool too since my Voice Live 3 can do stereo with the effects and harmony vocals. The Beat Buddy can also do stereo with the drums so that would be very cool. The 608i won't be here until Thursday of next week so won't be able to compare until then.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Past the 300-post limit. Feel free to open another.

Here's the new thread.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-28-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added new link
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification