The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 AM

Default I tried busking for the first time yesterday...

...Without amplification and failed.

First lesson. If youre going to play on the streets without any amplification forget about fingerplay. It's bom-chicka-bom with a plectrum or go home.
Second lesson. Forget about any nuances in your singing. It's foghorn a la Brian johnson.

I wasn't prepard for that. I didn't have the songs for it. And I don't sing like that. I'm used to smaller rooms and/or microphones.

I wanted to go home in the midde of my first song but stuck it out to six songs (had planned to do eleven...so I'm a quitter to).

It's back to the drawing board...

Happy eastern everyone!
Old 04-19-2019, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Knowing what you did wrong, and know your strength and weaknesses half way through the first song I'd say is a win. I'm not a strong singer either, and always need amplification, it is what it is. Everybody get's their aZZ handed to them, and it's usually in the beginning too, it's all in your mind, get through it and have fun and do it again. Get all Jim Dandy on them next time!
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 04-19-2019, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

This, to me, is a real lesson about performing. The seed of performing is about getting attention from people that have no reason to give you attention. The ultimate achievement goal to solidify success would be how much money one can draw from it. The original buskers played any kind of music the crowed responded to. It was all about the response not the music. Put another way it was about the audience. Now days there is an over abundance of performing musicians that perform for themselves. Being as it's about them often it isn't that entertaining.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-19-2019, 07:17 AM

There’s a reason a lot of those old streetcorner blues guys were called “shouters” and played resonator guitars...
Old 04-19-2019, 07:26 AM

Even in a quiet location, I can't imagine a finger-player/soft singer doing well. In a city these days - forget it. If your goal is to just play outside and MAYBE have people listen, then find a quiet park. If the goal is to make a few $$, you've got to change your songs/style AND get an amp.
I busked unplugged back in the summer of 1980 (no battery amps back then) - it's a real lesson, that's for sure.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-19-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
...Without amplification and failed.

First lesson. If youre going to play on the streets without any amplification forget about fingerplay. It's bom-chicka-bom with a plectrum or go home.

Second lesson. Forget about any nuances in your singing. It's foghorn a la Brian johnson.

I wasn't prepard for that. I didn't have the songs for it. And I don't sing like that. I'm used to smaller rooms and/or microphones.

I wanted to go home in the midde of my first song but stuck it out to six songs (had planned to do eleven...so I'm a quitter to).

It's back to the drawing board...

Happy eastern everyone!
Your busking experience did not go as well as you might have liked or how you expected it to go. You persevered. Good for you!

Your post shows you learned some things.

No failure here. A bump in the road. It is only failure if you quit.

I have heard/seen many buskers. I do not think it is necessary to amplify most of the time. Keep in mind that your audience will be close. Those that stop to listen should not be any great distance from you. It is not a concert. Most of them are not looking to be critical. If you are musical and give a good effort, that is all any one should expect.

I do agree about how you play. Strumming, flat picking may be best.

Chose songs that many people would know. Up beat tunes. Fun tunes. Keep it simple Laugh, have fun. Don't take it too seriously. Best to not be political.

You are only under obligation to yourself. Don't be hard on yourself. It is not an easy thing to do. There are probably folks that envy you and wish they were brave enough to give it a go.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:57 AM

A week ago I had my first gig singing for a dinner party of 60 people. Just me and my ukulele no amplification. People were talking. Some said they could hear me. I was fed.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I was fed.
Success!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I bet it went better than you think, Tak. Sometimes we're our own worst critics. Congratulations for trying and hanging in there. Get back up on that horse... I bet the 2nd time will be twice as good!!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:33 AM

You took the first step and succeeded! You are brave and have a great sense of humor. Fast learner, too. I predict you will do well.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Watched a video of Leadbelly, man he was beating the daylights out of that guitar, Id call that manual amplification.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write