The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Default Gibson J45 '59 Special Run

I'm gassing pretty hard over this guitar...but it seems like every 60's Gibson I've played with the adjustable bridge has been a thunker...anybody have any thoughts? The bridge kinda scares me.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/J45THE59

Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM

I guess maybe Gibson is trying to stay true to the original...but I can't imagine reproducing that style bridge. I don't think I've ever heard anything good about it.

AF
2012 Martin OM-15 LA Guitar Sales Custom
2009 Martin HD-28
1974 Gibson J-50
Seagull S6 Coastline GT
1971 Yahama FG-75
1994 American Standard Telecaster
Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM

I would definitely play one first. I have a 63 that had the adjustable bridge replaced before I ever bought it. It sounds awesome, to my ears every bit as good as those classic 50's models. I've played a couple of those over at our TME store.

A guy I play with has a 64, and he's one of those guys that prizes original condition over all else. He can hear how much it's dulling the sound, and yet he will never budge. I don't get it, not from someone who actually plays the instruments. It's not like a 64 is a collector item in any condition. He won't put a pickup in it either, which also makes me crazy.

Sorry, getting off track. If you can't play it, or return it easily, pass.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Yeah - that's a lot to play for an antiqued reissue with possible tone issues. I think I'm leaning towards avoiding it...beautiful guitar though. I've got a Santa Cruz D/PW, so it would be nice to have a thumpy Gibson sound to complement it. I could probably pick up an older LG2 or something for about half the price and get the sound I'm looking for...But - besides the adjustable bridge, that is one of my bucket list guitars...
Old 04-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Guest 33123

Seriously there are all sorts of great sounding new Gibson J-45 related models to choose from that won't have that tone killing bridge on it.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Well, then there's this for the same price...

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-j-45-1949-sunburst-1
Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM

Doing a re-issue of an adjustable bridge model constitutes a seriously questionable marketing decision on Gibson's part.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM

The ADJ bridge was an option in 1959 becoming standard in 1961.

Guitars with the ADJ bridge may have sounded "thunkier" not because of the bridge but because of the non-scalloped top bracing Gibson started using in
1955. I am a big fan of 1955-1959 guitars as they tend to sound real punchy and quick.

The ' 59 Special Run though looks like a real mish-mosh combining earlier features such as scallop bracing and a V neck with later stuff like the big pointy pickguard and ADJ bridge.

Last edited by zombywoof; 04-05-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Well, then there's this for the same price...

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-j-45-1949-sunburst-1
Exactly John. I'd bet dollars to donuts that 1949 will be superior and hold its value much better. Obviously I haven't played either but based on my experiences....which are positive on 30s, 40s, and 50s Gibsons and categorically negative on every newer reissue model that I truly wanted to like.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 PM

Gibsons seem to be really hit or miss IMHO...Much moreso than Martins. I've played more vintage Gibsons that were clunkers than Martins...Not being able to play it is huge. Of course, I could just return it, but that's a PITA...

Must get past the gas...
Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 PM

So fast forward 7 years. Was going in to Gruhns to hear how this D-18 Sinker would sound in addition to my D-28 Authentic. Well, it’s unfreqkingbwleiveable sounding. In the process, I noticed they had basically this Gibson in the used section. I’m not sure it’s the SW version, because it’s a 2017...but it’s basically the same guitar.
But holy crap. It’s what I consider the quintessential Gibson thunky sound. Punchy and doesn’t sustain like a Martin, but in an amazing way.
It doesn’t “sound” as good as that sinker...but it sounds like 70’s records to me. It honestly would be a better ying to my D-28’s yang. The 28 sounded like a bigger deeper version of the D-18 - the old wood didn’t blow it away at all. So - I guess I’m wondering whether I’ll be haunted if I pass up the potential heirloom guitar (D-18 Sinker Mahogany) to get this lesser Gibson...even though it definitely has a “thing” I don’t have.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on these?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on these?
Gibson is making the best guitars they've ever made, IMO. Don't buy into the misperception that Gibsons suck. There is NO WAY I would buy one of those reissues with the adjustable bridge given the availability of great J-45s today. If you ever need or want to resell it, you will have a smaller buying audience because of people who think like me, resulting in lower resale value.

Buy that D-18 Sinker and then get out and start playing some current J-45s so you have a baseline for the new stuff. I own a 2014 "1960s style" J-45 btw... light build, chunky neck (definitely NOT a 60s feature), post war simple decal headstock logo, Kluson style white button cream tuners, and multi-ring rosette. Just had the bridge slotted, solid pins installed, replaced the Baggs element with a K&K, and a few other things and what was an already incredible sounding Gibson is now even better!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-17-2019, 09:11 AM

With original late 40's /early 50's J45's selling for such reasonable amounts, I just can't understand why you would want to buy a re-issue instead of an original.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Well, first of all, any pre 1960 vintage 45 that sounds anywhere near decent will start at at least twice the price of this. And vintage guitars are truly hit and miss.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion