The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-21-2016, 01:53 PM

My grandchildren went to sleep listening to Guy Clark's Desperados waiting for a train, frequently acapella. Not exactly a lullaby, but they went right to sleep. I didn't usually put them to bed, just when their parents couldn't get them to sleep.
et al
Old 07-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Sorry but no skills needed to perform in front of babies.
I have a two year old and I sing everything from "Twinkle twinkle" to "whatever she listens to" including made up stories strumming whatever chords and however I like.
I do try to get the melody right.
She doesn't care and enjoys everything and claps when I stop. I mean not because I stop and says either "Again" or "Another one".
+1

Play anything and everything. What counts is spending the time together. Play lots of music and have lots of music playing in the house. That does wonders for a child's development and their future enjoyment of music.

I would also suggest learning some lullabys and simple children's songs and work them into the mix. When he is old enough to start singing along you will want a good selection. A child that has never sung before is going to have much more success with "Mary Had A Little Lamb" with only 4 notes needed than something more complex. Children's songs are simple for this reason. Also learn to play them in both a key that works for your singing and a key that works well for a woman or child so your wife and son can join in and it's not too low for them. You want music to be a family bonding thing in addition to something you do. That way you have a choice of making music with or for them.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Sorry but no skills needed to perform in front of babies.
I have a two year old and I sing everything from "Twinkle twinkle" to "whatever she listens to" including made up stories strumming whatever chords and however I like.
I do try to get the melody right.
She doesn't care and enjoys everything and claps when I stop. I mean not because I stop and says either "Again" or "Another one".
HAHA! This. Exactly.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:15 PM

Last edited by Alex6strings; 08-09-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunargent View Post
Another really easy one: "All the Pretty Little Horses".

There's a really lovely version recorded by Peter Paul & Mary, under the title "Hushabye", I think.

+ 1 on this song here are the tabs

http://www.music-for-music-teachers....le-horses.html

Just realized this post is almost 4 years old no lullabies for a 4 year old

Last edited by Blueshoes; 08-07-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooberJake View Post
So, my wife is due on Sunday with our first, a boy. Very excited! I have just recently started playing the guitar again (at church) after learning a few chords in college but not really doing anything with it (yes, I was "that guy" ). I would love to learn some lullabies to play to my son when putting him to bed. I'm more of a strummer, but trying to learn some fingerstyle stuff.

I'm not really looking for "Rock-a-bye baby", something more interesting. I've started learning "Blackbird" (Beatles) as that seems easy enough and a bit lullaby-ish. Any other recommendations, or maybe a book I can use? Bonus points for something with a nice easy harmony part that my wife and I can sing together.

Thanks!
Almost anything with "soft" chords/progressions (M6, M7, augmented, diminished) can be lullabized.

'til There Was You
Over the Rainbow
When You Wish Upon a Star
Misty
Stardust
On the Street Where You Live
Alfie
Shenandoah
Danny Boy
Shortnin' Bread
Nearer My God to Thee
Monk's Gate
Amazing Grace

...and about a thousand more for starters.

I was fooling around before a job the other day and playing stuff like Georgia on my Mind, Mood Indigo and Don't Blame Me and was told that no matter what the song it was "soothing", so I guess it's as much HOW you play as WHAT you play.

+1 on the Brahms...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Wyllys; 08-08-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:21 AM

Edelweiss was one of my kid's favorites.

https://youtu.be/8bL2BCiFkTk

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/s...lweiss_crd.htm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write