The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-02-2019, 09:06 AM

Default Guitar Lessons, Downers Grove IL Area

Hi Gang,

I'm new to the forum and very grateful to be here.

I'm pretty much self taught with the guitar, have only been playing about a year now. But I grew up in Choir, Band (playing Sax), and Piano from 12 to 17.

I'm looking for a teacher that could provide a structured plan and guide me on my journey. I'll be 44 this year and would like to grow with the acoustic guitar and be able to influence my two small Sons to develop a love and respect for music as I have.

I'm in the Downers Grove IL area and would like to find somebody local, long term, and affordable.

Thanks so much- please take the time to PM me if you have any suggestions or are yourself interested in a mutually equitable arrangement.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:25 AM

Have you considered the Old Town School of Folk Music? Not the private lessons, but taking a class. If you're relatively new, and learning on your own, a class might give you some context for where you are now and what you need to work on most at this stage.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Did you check out Tobias music? Well run shop, I'd imagine they have good teachers...I feel they wouldn't tolerate incompetency

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 AM

Music teachers are like therapists. I would drive around to several in your area and interview them to make sure they understand, and can accommodate, your wants.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Have you considered the Old Town School of Folk Music? Not the private lessons, but taking a class. If you're relatively new, and learning on your own, a class might give you some context for where you are now and what you need to work on most at this stage.
Thank you so much for the response At the moment that is too far for me to travel, I'm looking for more local resources. But certainly I'll remember the suggestion, it's a great recommendation
Old 04-02-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Did you check out Tobias music? Well run shop, I'd imagine they have good teachers...I feel they wouldn't tolerate incompetency
I'm familiar with the very fine folks there, in fact I have an HD-28 that I'm dropping off there to get some work done. I sent them an email last night about lessons and am awaiting a response, we'll see if they can help too
Old 04-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

You could try Friendly Music in Berwyn. I have no personal experience with them, but is not too far.

Martin D28 (1988)
Guild JF30
Voyage Air MD-02
Collings D1
Bourgeois vintage OM
Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
+1 on Tobias Music. They have some excellent teachers there....and it's a great place to shop too

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
lessons