The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 AM

Default benefits of a vintage v-neck

what does a v-neck offer?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie888 View Post
Some people like the way it fills their hand, but I find them awkward when playing barre chords.

Historically, they were profiled that way as a way of making the neck stiffer (before truss rods were used).

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Some people like the way it fills their hand, but I find them awkward when playing barre chords.

Historically, they were profiled that way as a way of making the neck stiffer (before truss rods were used).
Yep, they helped stabilize the neck before truss rods. Now, people really have a love/hate relationship with them. Martin uses them on the vintage series, along with GE and Authentic for replicatation puposes.

I prefer a slimmer profile myself.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie888 View Post
Not really sure. I've always preferred low-profile necks.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
To me v-necks seem obsolete.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 AM

I love "V" necks...in electric and acoustic guitars. As gitnoob said, I like the way they fill my hand. I find them very comfortable. It's just speculation, but I think the peek of the "V" provides slight leverage in forming chords. But I also think your hand has to be the right size and fingers the right length for that to occur. If my hands were smaller I don't think I'd like "V" necks as much as I do. OTOH, I'm a bluegrass guy and I play very, very, few bar chords.
Take this all with a grain of salt. As I said, it's just speculation. But I have small hands and there has to be a reason I find "V" necks so comfortable. However, when I was playing jazz I found them not so comfortable because of all the bar chords. My jazz guitar (Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster archtop with P-90s) did not have a "V" neck.
When I was playing traditional blues and swing/jump blues I used a Tele and sometimes a Strat, both with "V" necks and liked them a lot. But I didn't play quite so many bar chords in those genres. Also, those guitars had an offset "V" (toward the 6th string) and were a little more comfortable for bar chords.
My advice is to play a D-18GE or any guitar with a "V" neck and see how you like it. Neck size and dimension is such an individual/personal thing.

Tom
Old 06-11-2011, 07:32 AM

The mass of the neck adds to the tone of the guitar as well.

I like the V neck myself and I have a mild preference for it, but I'm pretty flexible about neck profiles overall. drbluegrass, I actually think the V neck helps me with barre chords - I am able to brace my thumb against the V to help hold down my index finger.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Comfort for those who like it.
Discomfort for those who don't.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 AM

I don't like a sharp pointy V, but a soft V feels very comfortable to me. Feels like there's a little less drag from the flesh between my thumb and first finger.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 AM

I can't stand v necks. I think the only people who like them are people who learned on them. In addition I know several times I have heard people develop hand problems from v necks so they had to switch. My guess is they had small hands but I really don't see why you would choose it. My first guitar had one and I didn't realize how much I hatred it until I bought a taylor.
Old habits die hard I guess.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Does anyone have a pic or link that shows all the different neck profiles? I've seen comparison charts like that for bodies, but not for necks. It would be intersting to see how a vintage V compares to a Martin C to a Gibson to a Taylor.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 AM

One of my Martins has a V neck and I like it. I find that in my playing position, I have a fairly small contact patch on the back of the neck and position changes seem smoother. I'm not very particular though and switch between V, Low Profile, and C shaped necks without much thought.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Some of my guitars have sharp V necks, some have a real fat V neck, some have a soft V neck, some have round necks...

I can play all of them equally well. Guess I'm just adaptable.

Only thing I can't handle are guitars with real high action (especially at the nut), more than 1 3/4" width at the nut on acoustics and more than 1 11/16" on electrics, or real super fat necks like some 30's Nationals and some cheap guitars from the 50's and 60's.

But if a neck is nicely shaped and the action is comfortable (AND the guitar sounds good!) it's probably going to be all right for me however it's shaped.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 AM

I can play either but then I do have large hands with very long fingers. My preference however is a low profile neck.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Depends on how your left handholds the guitar when you play -if your thumb is up on the side instead of the classical way of playing with your thumb centered on the back of the neck -you might like V necks . I play the guitar both ways - depending on what style im playing- but with me i have long fingers -I like a full size neck -more comfortable with me . but with necks -i swing both ways ( like all shapes and sizes -its the tone i look for not the nit picking neck thickness etc )

Martin vintage series are typically a step up on the quality level -thats one of the main reasons i bought my OM28v ( with a V neck )-i though it to be made of better quality materials with a bit more hand work than their standard series - well worth the difference in price .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion