The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtoy View Post
In my case (pun intended . . .), I like the separation because I have the guitar on the wall in my music room in the summer and have the hygrometer/temp meter in the guitar, but have a separate humidistat and humidifier for the room.

When in the case, I personally like the item below for humidifying:

It is easy and seems to keep it right in range I like without a lot of fuss . . . (it clips on a guitar string and fits through the sound hole in the body of he guitar. Just have to make sure it is dried enough after soaking in distilled water it doesn't drip any water in the guitar - I just wrap it in a small towel for a few minutes)
So, I guess it comes down to flexibility for me.

I am sure whatever you decide will work well.
Ahhhhhh...got it! And that humidifier is one I haven’t even seen yet, so thank you again!
Old 08-12-2020, 03:03 PM

Hello from Lancaster county. It is hot as blazes over here too.

When I dropped off my guitar the other week to get it setup, I made sure to let the guy know my hygrometer said the room my then bag/ case free guitar currently lives was running at 35-38% relative humidity. He was shocked. Turns out high velocity air conditioning may be a little too good at pulling moisture out of the air for wooden instruments. Extra care was taken to let my guitar adjust to 50% relative humidity before any work was done to it.

I picked it up from the shop last night, and said a humidipak was arriving today. Well, it is a gizmo that suspends a thin damp sponge between the strings in the soundhole. For now, I will keep my guitar in its gig bag, and check the sponge every few days.

I suggest getting a hygrometer, so you know better what you are working with.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:13 PM

https://www.sensorpush.com

Only product I will use for monitoring. Fantastic.

You are right to be concerned about ac dropping your levels down.

I use Boveda humidipaks in the winter and do not “recharge” them like some like to. My monitoring shows that you can end up overhumidifying your guitar if you do that.

In the summer, at least in my environment, my guitar naturally sits at pretty much a consistent 50% humidity inside the case without my doing anything. Winter is a different story. Definitely need the packs then. They work amazing. No effort.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion