The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 06:34 PM

I have several guitars that fall into about the $100-200 range. Unless you count my labor....then it goes up.

I play an H165 ... used to be a $15 guitar but has skyrocketed to about $125 these days.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:47 PM

LaDave
I am in the age that most members are in the forum and have to share with you the I have been a member now for a few months and before that time had never tried to learn to play a guitar and now that I have I pick up a used Seagull from Canada and can say that it serves me just fine I have been working on some simple tunes as well as scales and one important skill is timing and to accomplish all that on a $300 guitar is priceless in my world do I look at higher end guitars oh yeah all the time and some day I will go out and get one but to have a $300 is far better than not having one at all so go ahead and play the wood off what you have and make the best use of it and you will some day be able to go for that higher end guitar what ever brand , size , model or type of wood right now just learn learn learn. Mtndred
Old 08-03-2020, 07:01 PM

Paid $500 2 months ago for my only guitar, a Taylor Academy Dreadnought.

I may buy another at some point in the future, but right now, I can't think why I would.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:11 PM

I've always felt that there are a lot of just lurkers here on this forum like in a lot of other online forums and a lot of them have "cheap" guitars.
Nothing wrong with that.
If a guitar has a comfortable neck for my left hand and I can get a pleasing sound, it would probably not matter to me whether the guitar is "cheap" or not.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

My least expensive is my GS mini. It’s also the only guitar I’ve played the last two days. It has a great tone to fun to comfort ratio
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 08-03-2020, 07:28 PM

I've been a lurker up until recently when I needed some more specific advice. This forum has always been very helpful, but there are definitely gear discussions in which I can't participate for budgetary reasons. I'm not in a position to pay or justify paying more than $1000 for a guitar, so I only get to jealously look at everyone's photos and opinions of their Collings and Preston Thompson guitars.

So, as you can see from my signature, my guitars are all pretty low/low-mid. My Cort parlor (a gift) is probably my cheapest, but I like it a lot.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:42 PM

If we’re talking playable guitars that sound decent I’ve had two recording kings I paid $200 each for. I still have one if them but I don’t play it much.

Ive bought plenty of projects that cost anywhere from $20-$175
Old 08-03-2020, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'd have to say my Mark Angus #35... built on a template of a Guild F-40, except with a Florentine cutaway. German Black Forest spruce top with maple back and sides.

Mark built this for me in 1979, and the price was $800, including a Guild hardshell case... of course, that was 41 years ago! The same guitar would cost me around $3500 today, IF he still had those forms for a Guild F-40 (which he does not).

I saw the guitar in your signature... the good news is, you have a VAST horizon of great sounding (comparatively) acoustic guitars to check out when you decide to get a new one!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Runaway Tomato

Default What's your cheapest in price acoustic guitar?

The Taylor 110e, which in 2015 when it was new was prolly around $700. The Yairi was $600, but that was in 1978. The 814ce DLX with tax and strings and a tuner was $4110.00, but you didn't ask about that lol - - -
Former AGF Moderator
Old 08-03-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Yikes. I thought spending more time here outside of the Open Mic section would help. Looks like I need to be even more extra careful on which questions I ask now. Sorry for that.

I was just wondering if my only guitar, $429 would be in the same level as your guys' cheaper ones. Because everyone here talks about guitars in the thousands range and I feel kind of left out.
When I listen to someone play the first thing I hear is the quality of the music. That is not dependent on the price of the guitar, but the quality of the playing. Then I hear the tone, and yes I'd rather hear what my ear considers beautiful tone, but the playing always comes first.

The money I paid for instruments depended on the sound my ear wanted and the thickness of my wallet, but that's to please me. You please you. Make beautiful music. Spend what you need to in order to please yourself. When I was waaaaay younger it would take me years to save enough for the next step up in guitar quality.

My Taylor was my cheapest purchase of my current stable - around $1,500.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-03-2020, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

My cheapest guitar was a Ventura 200B. Picked it up at a swap meet for $20 in the late 1970s. Had it for nearly 40 years. Then I had to go and join this forum
Old 08-03-2020, 08:33 PM

I gave $5 for a broken down Harmony Broadway. Big crack in side with a slab of plexiglass or something. And a crack in one of the F holes.
Over the years my grandkids have broken the tuners and I replaced them. Is it a great guitar. No. Is it worth much more than $5. Oh yeah.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:37 PM

Default What's your cheapest in price acoustic guitar?

I’ve got 4 guitars that cost between $100 and $300, and I play them all, along with the more expensive ones. With a decent setup they do the job. I like window shopping as much as anyone, so I remind myself often, the way to get better is to play your guitar, not shop for another one.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:06 PM

Yamaha FS800, $180
Really nice guitar.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:09 PM

This would be the least expensive guitar I own and it also is the best deal I have ever found when buying a used guitar....I paid $50.00 for this and it plays and sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion