The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 01:15 AM

Smile

Peace
Old 08-09-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rille View Post

Peace
It was Justin's review of the guitar that got me interested in it.

https://youtu.be/pMxNlPKK-B0
Old 08-09-2020, 08:48 AM

As someone commented on the videos "Justin Johnson can make a shovel sound good".
To me the guitar sounded a bit "thin" unplugged. A thin sound seems to suit Justin's playing style. He emphasized it's "take it to the beach, devil may care potential". Although somewhat weatherproof HPL is really not that tough if carelessly handled. I've taken the one's I've built back packing and to the beach and with a western red cedar top (which is less sensitive to humidity than spruce) they have held up O.K. to sun and light rain, and provided a surface to make sandwiches on as well as play music by the camp fire.
If the guitar was priced in the sub $200 range (without a pickup) I would go along with that. I guess if you add $200 for the Fishman pickup and $200 for the Martin name on the headstock you come up to their price point.
I will admit I am out of touch with guitar prices,but it seems like you could get more for less.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
I imagine he'd find it neat that he's been honored by Martin with both an extremely high end guitar that can only be afforded only by those with a large bank account, and also a lower end model that can be appreciated and afforded by a much larger segment of the population. I don't understand the idea perpetuated in this thread that "Johnny must be rolling over in his grave because Martin dared to make an HPL guitar bearing his name"...
Tried a couple Martin HPLs a few years ago when I was looking for a gig guitar and ended up getting my all-sapele GPRS1 for $659 or so. The HPLs sounded lifeless to me acoustically (didn't get to plug them in). Could have been dead strings.

But to each his own and I haven't played this HPL. I don't think Johnny is spinning in his grave. I'd wager there was a time in his career when he would have been thrilled to own one.

Edit: Fascinating post by Hermithollow on HPL construction; Wade Hampton said it all better than I could; now that I've watched the Justin Johnson video I'm going to stop worrying about HPL and spend part of the morning marveling at the talent that exists in this world.

Last edited by Chriscom; 08-09-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
I imagine he'd find it neat that he's been honored by Martin with both an extremely high end guitar that can only be afforded only by those with a large bank account, and also a lower end model that can be appreciated and afforded by a much larger segment of the population. I don't understand the idea perpetuated in this thread that "Johnny must be rolling over in his grave because Martin dared to make an HPL guitar bearing his name". It's just snobbery and it's obnoxious. (this isn't directed at you, lapetrarca, just in general)
Well, never met the man personally but, I'm guessing he would be honored and I also think, from what I've read of the man, there's lots of other stuff going on in the world today that must be causing him to be "rolling over in his grave" other than having an working mans Martin named after him.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 08-09-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post
Yes , Johnny C may be turning over in his grave...

The main thing that bothers me is why not at least a solid spruce top. I would buy one if it had a solid spruce top. I just cannot buy a formica top guitar.
I just cannot do it.

They should have made an all solid wood road series Johnny Cash Black guitar for $1000 bucks. I would have bought that too.
Apology to Johnny Cash for my grave statement.
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 08-09-2020, 12:17 PM

The sound production of that video can make a $150 guitar sound good.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:42 PM

OMG

that........sounds amazing......That......guy can PLAY!!!!

If its sounds like that .....I am buying one.....I could not care if it was made out cement, bricks, laminate floor boards or whatever.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rille View Post

Peace
He's playing plugged in (cable clearly visible at 2:00, and at other points), which is probably what the instrument is designed for. Solid easy maintenance gigging guitar with Johnny Cash details & Martin build, $599 seems OK. Nobody's obligated to buy it if they disagree.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:16 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
As someone commented on the videos "Justin Johnson can make a shovel sound good"....
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
He's playing plugged in (cable clearly visible at 2:00, and at other points), which is probably what the instrument is designed for. ...
According to the info in some of his other videos, he usually use a mix of the piezo and the condenser mic standing in the front of the guitar, if i remember correctly.

Peace
Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 AM

It's been awhile since I've built an HPL guitar. I think it's about time I search through my pile of scraps and maybe cobble together another one. This time I think I'll make it my "travel" guitar design with a neck that unbolts and slips inside the body. I'll keep it cheap and fun.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:59 AM

PERFECT REASON why this post and conversation goes on...

There is a guy in classified section sell a MINT Road series DRED with a Hard case all solid Sapele wood. Solid wood guitar. $599 shipped, negotiable

Then there is the Johnny Cash All HPL laminate, soft case, $599.

So, what is the smart money move? How much is the “cool” factor worth in trade off of the actual build quality of the guitar?

I do not have the answer...cause I am still attracted to the Johnny Cash,,,,
Old 08-10-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:

To each his own. This thing has zero attraction to me. And while I don't get the sense that Mr. Cash was a gear fanatic, from the pics I have seen, he tended to play classic models ala Martin, Gibson or Guild.

As for the Justin Johnson demo, that guy can make nearly anything sound great.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:58 PM

I have to say it sounds a lot like a carbon fiber guitar to me. Being purely HPL it kind of serves the same purpose as a CF guitar for a lot less money. It is probably not near as weather resistant as CF it still is less fragile than a regular wood guitar. It seems like a decent travel guitar (if a bit big for that purpose) or as a gigging guitar. Since I really have no need for either use, I won't be buying one, but don't begrudge anyone who has those needs for buying one.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 08-11-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
PERFECT REASON why this post and conversation goes on...

There is a guy in classified section sell a MINT Road series DRED with a Hard case all solid Sapele wood. Solid wood guitar. $599 shipped, negotiable

Then there is the Johnny Cash All HPL laminate, soft case, $599.

So, what is the smart money move? How much is the “cool” factor worth in trade off of the actual build quality of the guitar?

YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS VEDIO....its a blind test......Carbon Fiber verse All wood Verses Martin HPL.

Very interesting!!!

check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlZveUnb5hY

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 08-11-2020 at 12:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion