The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-31-2020, 10:45 AM

Default A little help with this fingering please

So I want to learn this:

In the intro, he's got the 1st 2 fingers on the D (2nd string) and A (3rd string), the pinky on the G (4th string) and the 3rd ring finger on the bass note (also a G as it is in drop D tuning). See video if my explanation doesn't make sense.

Guys, my hand doesn't work like that! If I get the G in the bass, it mutes other strings. Without it, it doesn't work - the moving bass line falls apart. How the heck can I get my fretting hand to do this? Everything else seems very doable, but I just can't get that part.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2020, 12:21 PM

When you say 2nd string 3rd string etc are you meaning frets?
Old 01-31-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
When you say 2nd string 3rd string etc are you meaning frets?
Never mind I see now you’re talking about the notes being fretted. I don’t think I could get that fretted like he does but I am really new.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
In the intro, he's got the 1st 2 fingers on the D (2nd string) and A (3rd string), the pinky on the G (4th string) and the 3rd ring finger on the bass note (also a G as it is in drop D tuning). See video if my explanation doesn't make sense.

Guys, my hand doesn't work like that! If I get the G in the bass, it mutes other strings. Without it, it doesn't work - the moving bass line falls apart. How the heck can I get my fretting hand to do this? Everything else seems very doable, but I just can't get that part.

Any suggestions?
I just tried it and I can make it work but its a very awkward, typical Tommy thumb wrap fingering, certainly a stretch.

First of all are you sure you have the first two fingers the right way round? Index should be covering the A note on 3rd string.

Obviously your third finger needs to be sufficiently arched to clear the upper strings but not the adjacent string (5th) which isn't played, so actually it can lie fairly straight and flat at the lower joints muting that string with no problem.

You might find it easier to lose the thumb on the third fret as you finger the fifth, so give that a go too. Just because Tommy holds doesn't mean you have to.

I suggest you isolate and finger the problem chord (i.e. just work on this chord for now) by placing the third and pinky first, then finger the index and lastly the middle. If you can finger the chord without muting the strings you need to play, its just a matter of learning how to get into that position from the previous chord.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 01-31-2020 at 01:38 PM. Reason: remove video
Old 01-31-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
I just tried it and I can make it work but its a very awkward, typical Tommy thumb wrap fingering, certainly a stretch.

First of all are you sure you have the first two fingers the right way round? Index should be covering the A note on 3rd string.

Obviously your third finger needs to be sufficiently arched to clear the upper strings but not the adjacent string (5th) which isn't played, so actually it can lie fairly straight and flat at the lower joints muting that string with no problem.

You might find it easier to lose the thumb on the third fret as you finger the fifth, so give that a go too. Just because Tommy holds doesn't mean you have to.

I suggest you isolate and finger the problem chord (i.e. just work on this chord for now) by placing the third and pinky first, then finger the index and lastly the middle. If you can finger the chord without muting the strings you need to play, its just a matter of learning how to get into that position from the previous chord.
Thanks. I'll try that. I've never been much of a "thumb over" kind of guy. Maybe that will help. I appreciate your input.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Thumb over and capo up a couple of frets while learning this. Move the capo down as your hand flexes more over time.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-01-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
So I want to learn this:

Any suggestions?
I can do it myself - without muting the other strings, but it's certainly a stretch. It might help to release the thumb from the 6th string when placing the ring finger - I do that instinctively, because the most comfortable hand shape and position with thumb on fret 3 is slightly different from the shape with ring on 5.

General advice for any position which requires an unusual stretch (especially with ring or pinky) is to place that finger first, and then stretch the others back. I.e., try starting with ring and pinky in position on fret 5 (strings 6 and 4), and then try and arrange the other fingers behind.

It's still not easy! I agree with TBMan, use capo to start with, in a position where you can just about do it. You don't even need to work your way down, there's no reason why the tune shouldn't work as well in a higher key.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:08 AM

Thanks. I didn't even think about a capo. I'll give it a shot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write