The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Leo Kottke’s Ojo

Working on this song currently and it’s surprisingly complex - Ive always liked Kottke but never fully appreciated his skill before now- the right hand stuff, particularly the thumb use, is pretty out there compared to the more steady Travis picking I’m used to. Anyway, I have the recording from Six and Twelve String Guitar, as well as the tab/transcription from his Eight Songs book. Unfortunately, the two don’t match up all the time. I’m assuming he changed aspects through the years? Anyone know of sources for the tab from the record, or of a recording that matches my tab? Looks like my book was published in ‘86.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:29 PM

The recording from "Regards from Chuck Pink" is more like that transcription. I've always preferred this version over any others anyway...

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life -- Frank Zappa.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tachyon_ View Post
The recording from "Regards from Chuck Pink" is more like that transcription. I've always preferred this version over any others anyway...
Great, thanks. That’s the kind of info I was looking for. Unfortunately, that album doesn’t seem to be available online. Have to hunt down a cd I guess.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Working on this song currently and it’s surprisingly complex - Ive always liked Kottke but never fully appreciated his skill before now- the right hand stuff, particularly the thumb use, is pretty out there compared to the more steady Travis picking I’m used to. Anyway, I have the recording from Six and Twelve String Guitar, as well as the tab/transcription from his Eight Songs book. Unfortunately, the two don’t match up all the time. I’m assuming he changed aspects through the years? Anyone know of sources for the tab from the record, or of a recording that matches my tab? Looks like my book was published in ‘86.
Ojo is the only tune from that book that I learned and can play well. It is difficult. Note that the Six & Twelve String record is on a 12-string and is 2 full steps lower than normal tuning. He also does a variant on Regards from Chuck Pink on a 6 string in A (regular tuning) and 10bpm or so slower. Two main variations in that version: a section in which the main theme moves up a fourth (to the next string) and a part where the bridge moves into a minor key. The book is for the Chuck Pink transcription (hmmm, I don't see it on youtube.)

Last edited by jwayne; 01-04-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
Ojo is the only tune from that book that I learned and can play well. It is difficult. Note that the Six & Twelve String record is on a 12-string and is 2 full steps lower than normal tuning. He also does a variant on Regards from Chuck Pink on a 6 string in A (regular tuning) and 10bpm or so slower. Two main variations in that version: a section in which the main theme moves up a fourth (to the next string) and a part where the bridge moves into a minor key. The book is for the Chuck Pink transcription (hmmm, I don't see it on youtube.)
Thanks! Yeah I knew the original version was on a twelve string, but couldn’t figure out the tuning. Makes sense now. I’ve checked Apple Music, Spotify, and amazon, but no dice. It’s not on YouTube either.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Great, thanks. That’s the kind of info I was looking for. Unfortunately, that album doesn’t seem to be available online. Have to hunt down a cd I guess.
PM me about that...

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life -- Frank Zappa.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:40 PM

There are tabs out there (that have been around for a while) that modify the "Regards" version to be more like the "6&12" version. You can Google it.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:06 PM

IMO one of the very best versions on youtube and he also teaches it; Your Eight Songs tab book will work for it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33axbp41_Ow
Old 01-04-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fngrpck View Post
IMO one of the very best versions on youtube and he also teaches it; Your Eight Songs tab book will work for it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33axbp41_Ow
Saw that awhile ago... agree, very very nice job.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:19 PM

Watch Leo play a 6-string version on YouTube from 2008
Old 01-06-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. I’m working my way through the tab, and getting a better feel for things with the recording is certainly helping. It’s still kinda slow going
though. I’m basically just playing every section over and over and over until it’s in muscle memory, but the right hand is pretty complex. Any tips, or do I just slog through it until it’s nearly automatic?
Old 01-26-2020, 12:42 PM

Keep practicing, I’ve been at this song for a year getting it sounding smooth.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:38 AM

Default Ojo revisited

Came across this thread from a couple of years back, and wondered if anyone was currently working on Ojo or had got it down. It's a bewitchingly pretty - and deceptively simple - instrumental that just gets better the more you hear it, which is par for the course for Mr Kottke.

I've only worked through the rubato intro section as yet over the last few days - just starting my initial forays into the first part of the theme proper, and I can see it's going to take me a while...

That said, I think it falls into the category of Kottke pieces at which I stand a chance (Ojo, Last Steam Engine Train, The Fisherman) as opposed to the much larger group of ones which I'd love to play but accept are almost certainly beyond me (William Powell, Oddball, Airproofing to name just three).

Does anyone have any other recommendations of LK pieces that might fall into the former group?

Thanks,

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobell View Post
Came across this thread from a couple of years back, and wondered if anyone was currently working on Ojo or had got it down. It's a bewitchingly pretty - and deceptively simple - instrumental that just gets better the more you hear it, which is par for the course for Mr Kottke.

I've only worked through the rubato intro section as yet over the last few days - just starting my initial forays into the first part of the theme proper, and I can see it's going to take me a while...

That said, I think it falls into the category of Kottke pieces at which I stand a chance (Ojo, Last Steam Engine Train, The Fisherman) as opposed to the much larger group of ones which I'd love to play but accept are almost certainly beyond me (William Powell, Oddball, Airproofing to name just three).

Does anyone have any other recommendations of LK pieces that might fall into the former group?

Thanks,

Angus
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-24-2022, 08:16 AM

That's a good shout - thanks
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write