The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2018, 08:35 AM

Default Pickguard removal PSA

Do not remove a pickguard without applying heat or naphtha, no matter how easily it seems to want to come off.

I've removed many pickguards over the years with no problems. I didn't like the Taylor pickguard on my 512ce 12-fret, and wanted it gone before the tan line got too bad. The front corner was already loose, so I started to tug a little. It lifted so easily, I kept going, slow and steady. I should have known better, but like picking a scab I couldn't let well enough alone, even to get up and grab some lighter fluid and a q-tip. Then, a sudden and sickening tearing sound. A patch of finish came up, along with some of the cedar grain.

I called the factory and it is not covered by warranty. Estimated cost of filling/leveling and finish is $300. I've ordered a new pickguard that is a better color at least but I know that it won't cover all the damage. It kinda looks like normal wear, like ol' Trigger started out with, but I don't know that I can stand to look at the terrible reminder of my stupidity for the rest of my life.

If this prevents anyone from making my mistake, at least someone can benefit from my experience. It was a costly lesson for me.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:40 AM

You have to be careful with the heat as well. Slow and careful. I removed a cheap printed guard on my 000-28vs and installed a clear one in this video:

https://youtu.be/OjjmIPJEAQE

18 Taylor GS Mini-e Walnut
14 Godin Multiac Classical
12 Martin 000-28vs
12 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
12 Gibson SJ200 Golden Age
10 Gretsch G5122DC
09 Taylor GA3-12e
04 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
81 Rickenbacker 320JG
68 Yamaha FG150 Red Label

My Soundclick Music Page
Old 06-15-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Ouch! Thanks for the reminder. I'm usually a fan of pick guards but thought it looked a little silly on my newish 322 and removed it recently...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:10 AM

Wow, that's heartbreaking.

Done a few myself - it's sure tempting to hurry it along

Sorry for your damage
Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 PM

Sorry to hear that. I know my own tendency is to make things worse than they started out as so these days, I leave well enough alone.

Heat is a bad suggestion. How much heat??? Some guys will find out to their own chagrin: TOO MUCH HEAT.

I will leave it to a reliable tech to do it.

Once again, I am sorry to read about your experience.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:26 PM

Oh man, that stinks
Old 06-15-2018, 10:29 PM

I hate it for you. I recently pulled off two in one night with no negative repercussions. I guess I got lucky since I didn't even use any heat.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Default Pickguard removal PSA

Update: I have cut out and installed a slightly larger version of the original pickguard. If the light is just right you can see a dent in the middle where the trauma is covered but you have to really look. I like the new pickguard better than the old one, and certain better than a gouge in my cedar top.

Here are pics, before and after.

Thanks for the sympathy and support.

Last edited by drumstrummer; 06-16-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 06-16-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Ouch! Thanks for the reminder. I'm usually a fan of pick guards but thought it looked a little silly on my newish 322 and removed it recently...
Good call. That PG was wholly out of character with that guitar.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:07 PM

I'm not a fan of any PG. I never have been. People claim to prefer the symmetry of a guitar without a cutaway yet prefer it mount a PG. Hurts my logic.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I'm not a fan of any PG. I never have been. People claim to prefer the symmetry of a guitar without a cutaway yet prefer it mount a PG. Hurts my logic.
Thanks Pitar!

To the op-the replacement pg looks much better!

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 06-16-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Same thing happened to me on my Taylor GA3-12, but only to a tiny extent. I filled the small missing finish with CA, leveled it and put a new pickguard on.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 PM

Since I have often cautioned against using blow driers to speed pickguard removal unless absolutely necessary, I should probably weigh in on this thread.

First, drumstrummer, I’m sorry to learn that you damaged the finish on your guitar. I’m sure you felt gut-punched the instant you realized the extent of the damage. From the photo you posted, it appears as though you pulled the pickguard up at a 90 degree angle to the grain, is that correct?

Very early on, before I ever removed and replaced any pickguards, I read an article explaining how to do it, probably in the old Frets Magazine. What that article explained was that pulling the pickguard WITH the grain could pull up finish and wood fibers, and pulling the pickguard ACROSS the grain could do the same thing. The safest way to go was DIAGONALLY across the grain, because you’re much less likely to pull any finish or wood fibers up along with the pickguard when you do.

So that’s what I’ve always done.

For a while there back in the 1990’s and early aughts I was getting quite a few Larrivee and Tacoma guitars passing through my hands, most of them satin finish instruments. At that time both companies were using clear pickguards, and I absolutely LOATHE clear pickguards (I know, it’s not the least bit rational, but what’s your point?) Anyway, I detest clear pickguards, so the first thing I’d do when I got one of these guitars was replace the pickguard.

So I have replaced pickguards somewhere close to three dozen times. In all those pickguard changes, I’ve only ever had to apply heat from a blow drier once. Every other time squirting a little bit of lighter fluid under the pickguard as needed was all that was required. I’ve never damaged the top or finish in the process.

So, once again, drumstrummer, I’m sorry to hear about the damage that occurred. Should you ever need to remove another pickguard, pull it slowly in a diagonal direction across the grain and squirt in lighter fluid as needed. Hold off using the blow drier unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-16-2018, 10:50 PM

To add one more thing, the reason I strongly caution against routinely using blow driers to remove pickguards is that it’s WAY too easy to hold the drier pointed at the top too long. The heat can damage the glue joints between the top and the braces underneath.

More people would be aware of this if the damage was to manifest itself right away, but it usually doesn’t: instead it can take a while for the braces to come loose.

Truthfully, I get a little frustrated with folks just blithely telling others: “Oh, just point a hairdryer at the pickguard while removing it: it’ll peel right off!”

Well, yeah, but it can also cause significant problems down the line. So for your own sake as well as that of the guitar, use extreme caution when pointing ANYTHING that blows superheated air at your guitar’s top.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-16-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Since I have often cautioned against using blow driers to speed pickguard removal unless absolutely necessary, I should probably weigh in on this thread.

First, drumstrummer, I’m sorry to learn that you damaged the finish on your guitar. I’m sure you felt gut-punched the instant you realized the extent of the damage. From the photo you posted, it appears as though you pulled the pickguard up at a 90 degree angle to the grain, is that correct?

Very early on, before I ever removed and replaced any pickguards, I read an article explaining how to do it, probably in the old Frets Magazine. What that article explained was that pulling the pickguard WITH the grain could pull up finish and wood fibers, and pulling the pickguard ACROSS the grain could do the same thing. The safest way to go was DIAGONALLY across the grain, because you’re much less likely to pull any finish or wood fibers up along with the pickguard when you do.

So that’s what I’ve always done.

For a while there back in the 1990’s and early aughts I was getting quite a few Larrivee and Tacoma guitars passing through my hands, most of them satin finish instruments. At that time both companies were using clear pickguards, and I absolutely LOATHE clear pickguards (I know, it’s not the least bit rational, but what’s your point?) Anyway, I detest clear pickguards, so the first thing I’d do when I got one of these guitars was replace the pickguard.

So I have replaced pickguards somewhere close to three dozen times. In all those pickguard changes, I’ve only ever had to apply heat from a blow drier once. Every other time squirting a little bit of lighter fluid under the pickguard as needed was all that was required. I’ve never damaged the top or finish in the process.

So, once again, drumstrummer, I’m sorry to hear about the damage that occurred. Should you ever need to remove another pickguard, pull it slowly in a diagonal direction across the grain and squirt in lighter fluid as needed. Hold off using the blow drier unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

I appreciate you weighing in, Wade. This is important stuff. I’ve actually never used heat, just seen it done and figured it was valid. Historically I have always flooded with naphtha/lighter fluid as the pickguard gradually came up. This time, I did not use fluid. I don’t recall the angle to the top at which I pulled, but I did peel WITH the grain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion