The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I’ve always had one acoustic and one electric. I’d really hate to be without one of each. I played a lot more electric than acoustic when I was a kid, I play the acoustic more now, but I still play, and LOVE both. I actually have two electrics at the moment - I’m play my strat 90% of the time, but I also love P90s so I have a cheap SG with P90s too. I have my area set up so I only have to hit one switch to turn on everything. When I want to switch guitars, I have to pull the cable out of one and plug it in the other. Yeah, it’s in one place, but I play my acoustic in that same room, same seat, almost all the time anyway. No hassle.

Hard core acoustic players don’t NEED an electric and hard core electric players don’t NEED an acoustic. But I can’t even imagine only having one or the other. Having one of each isn’t hard at all and then you always have the option to play a totally different instrument with the same user interface...

-Ray
Old 03-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I like variety. That's why I own multiple guitars. And I play them all.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 03-04-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinray View Post
I like variety. That's why I own multiple guitars. And I play them all.
Same here. They're all different and my mood and/or what kind of music I want to play reflects which guitar I pick up.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:51 PM

Well you seem to know yourself -- an important achievement -- and what makes you happiest is likely the least expensive way to go. Sucess!

If there's an implied question here about adding an electric I will say these general observations (which may or may not fit you):

An electric, particularly the solid-body or nearly so electric guitars that are the most popular models, is quite different from an acoustic guitar, even though it shares the same "user interface" of strings and a fretboard. That may make it less of a "which one to play" puzzle for you.

If you fear an electric guitar will cause a "which one" issue, but have an hankering for another instrument there are even greater differences for some other instruments: uke, mandolin, dulcimer, and electric bass.

If you go with an electric instrument you have a high likelihood of needing an amplifier. Which means some more shopping. That can be fun, but you're not done when you get an electric guitar all by itself.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-04-2021, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Two acoustics and one electric. I don't have a problem with the two acoustics, one is my favorite and the other just has to live with it. I wouldn't sell it though because a spare is handy. The electric is just another toy. I spend more time playing with it than I spend playing it. Lots of things you can do with an electric guitar.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

I only have one. Been that way for 5 years. I went through a few others before and wish I had them all. Honestly, if I had just kept the first of the 3, I wouldn't have known the other 2 and that may have been better. All are impossible to find for what I paid and 2 are really hard to find.

2013 Rockbridge slope
Old 03-04-2021, 04:33 PM

4 acoustics, 2 electrics, 3 amps.

If I wasn’t married I’d have more.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

It's really not about how many guitar you have, but how much joy and satisfaction your guitar(s) bring(s) to YOU (and others). There are only so many hours in the day, so having only one guitar would surely reduce maintenance time, require less storage space in your abode, and eliminate the decision about which guitar to play today. Fact is, I was very happy with one guitar for many years... then I joined AGF a couple years ago and now I have a herd. I'm retired and having the time of my life, but there are days when I ponder returning to a life with 1 (and maybe 2 or 3 at most) guitars. Then again, shopping and researching is so much fun, and you only live once !

Enjoy your guitar(s) to the fullest!

Cheers!
Old 03-04-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Default 1 + 1

After 9 years of learning, playing, buying and selling, I bet I've gone thru 30-40 guitars. My peak was 13, and all acoustic. Loved the hunt, liked almost all of them, and slowly refined my definition of what I wanted. Got down to 1 acoustic and thought about getting an electric. Never had one before and I am almost 60.

Got an inexpensive Ibanez and a decent amp about 2 months ago. I love it! Sure it's a little more work to set up. But sometimes you just want to do something different. Been learning some easy jazz and surf music, which has been a blast. Just for kicks I started playing 'Strangehold' the other night and my wife popped in and asked if I was going to put on my 'earth shoes' and 'roll a doob'. That song is just not the same on an acoustic I may eventually cycle thru a few electrics before I settle on 'the one', but I don't think I will amass a collection anymore.

I love looking at pictures of members who have a whole arsenal of guitars. If it works for them and brings them joy, that's awesome. For me, I am enjoying the simplicity of 1 + 1.

Best on your decision!
Old 03-04-2021, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

My lips are sealed

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-04-2021, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

The friend I sold my Martin to in the late '90s still has only the guitar.

He only plays one sort of music, his own songs (which are beautiful) and that's all he wants.

Fine.

I have more. I enjoy them, three dreads and two 12 strings for performance , but unsure as to whether there will be any performances again for some years, and I'm 73 next week!

I have my Dobro and mandolin, but can't see any bluegrass bands on the horizon,

During the last 12 months, I've been playing my smaller guitars quite a lot (and gained two more).

I could put some guitars up for sale, but even if I got what I wanted for them, what would I do with the cash ? Cash is losing value presently. I'll keep them as wooden investments, and hope for an opportunity to play in front of audiences again, some time.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:19 PM

I knew a guy, who knew a guy, who had 42 guitars at one time.
He, reportedly.. I never knew the guy .. had owned about 150 guitars over about 50 years of playing and (just a few years ago I’m told) had peaked at 42.

I personally don’t run with people THAT SICK AND TWISTED,
but I hear there are people like that out there.. and I do mean OUT THERE.

Can you even imagine?!?
Professional help is needed for people like that.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
I knew a guy, who knew a guy, who had 42 guitars at one time.
He, reportedly.. I never knew the guy .. had owned about 150 guitars over about 50 years of playing and (just a few years ago I’m told) had peaked at 42.

I personally don’t run with people THAT SICK AND TWISTED,
but I hear there are people like that out there.. and I do mean OUT THERE.

Can you even imagine?!?
Professional help is needed for people like that.
Vince Gill has a guitar collection that, most certainly, exceeds 42 guitars. I don't think he needs professional help. 150 guitars in 50 years is only an average of 3 new guitars a year. That's not bad!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)

Last edited by pickinray; 03-04-2021 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

"God Pity The One Dream Man"
- Robert Hutchings Goddard
Old 03-04-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvanesebob View Post
I have never owned more than one guitar at a time, except for once. I owned 2 acoustic guitars, and it drove me so crazy that I sold one to an open mic buddy who happened to need a guitar.

If I started playing one, I felt like I was cheating on the other one or something...

I know it sounds crazy, and I don't know why I feel this way. Maybe I am crazy...LOL

I have been thinking about getting a Stratocaster, but I already own a Martin D-28 which I love. I never tried to own and acoustic and an electric guitar at the same time, so I don't know how I will handle it...

Any advice from any other crazy people out there?... LOL
Buy an Acoustasonic Strat (or Tele...) and that might make the transition less painful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion