The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 08:42 PM

Default NRGD: 1970 Gibson Hummingbird

Today I was able to bring home my 1970 Gibson Hummingbird from Florida luthier Ross Teigen's workshop. While it's not a 'new' guitar for me, it is a Newly Restored Guitar Day that has me as pleased as I've ever been about bringing home a guitar.

This guitar had been severely damaged in an airline baggage compartment less than 6 months after I'd gotten it new in 1970. The top was broken in half with corresponding structural damage to bracing, neck joint and more. Fortunately at the time, a luthier in Pittsburgh, PA was able to do repairs that made it playable, and it became my main acoustic guitar for the next 35 years. But about 15 years ago the repairs that had been effected so many years before began to degrade to the point that it became unplayable (braces coming loose, neck twisting, top sinking, etc). My local guitar repair guys told me it was beyond their ability to repair, and so it had remained hanging on the wall unplayed for the last decade and a half and I had pretty much accepted that it would remain that way.

This past year I became aware that luthier Ross Teigen, who I had met in the 1980s and whose services I had utilized when I lived in south Florida, had moved his shop to north-central Florida close to where I've been living for the past 20 years. I contacted Ross and asked if he would be willing to to do the necessary restoration work on my Hummingbird. Much to my delight he agreed, and mentioned that he remembered doing some repair work on the guitar many years before. So off to Ross went the Hummingbird along with my hopes for a miracle.

Well, after a little more than a month Ross completed his amazing work, and I have what I can only describe as a miracle: a completely rejuvenated guitar! Ross performed a comprehensive overhaul: working on braces, binding, neck (reset), bridge, pick guard, and I don't know what all else. What I do know is that it plays, looks and feels like a brand new guitar with a vintage Gibson Hummingbird voice and vibe. Mr.Teigen says the guitar should be good now for about 30 more years before I'll need to bring it back in for a refresh (since I'll be 100 years old then I'm sure I'll be needing a "refresh" more than the guitar at that point ). I am so incredibly grateful to Ross for his superb work in bringing this special guitar back to life for me!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-01-2021, 09:59 PM
Runaway Tomato

I've always loved the look, sound and heritage of the Hummingbird, and yours looks mighty handsome. Congratulations on its resurrection!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-01-2021, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Congrats and welcome home! It looks good and happy to hear it plays and sounds equally well. Cheers!
Old 03-02-2021, 04:03 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how good repairmen can turn something that you think is totally battered into something that you'd think never had any issues at all, it's one of those guitars just by looking at the pic's you can tell is going to sound amazing.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

At 51, hopefully it got its colonoscopy as part of its half-century tune-up! Very nice!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-02-2021, 06:18 AM

Congratulations! I have a 1969 Hummingbird (at least I think it's a '69, that's what the owner said; the serial number indicates '68 but it doesn't have a screwed down pickguard) that I picked up used in 1972, I share the love.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
At 51, hopefully it got its colonoscopy as part of its half-century tune-up! Very nice!
Absolutely! Cost me extra too!

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-02-2021, 06:46 AM

I love to see definite keepers!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-02-2021, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

That's really nice, congrats! I love the Hummingbird sound.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

A great story and a beautiful Hummingbird.....play it in good health!!
Old 03-02-2021, 01:45 PM

Just curious if you've ever noticed that the newer Birds (after the 70's?) just do not have the a particular bass tone that you almost can't hear finger picking, but very much can using a flat pick?
Old 03-02-2021, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Gibsons of that vintage can be duds, many of them, but a good one is a thing unto itself. A unique tone only they will have. Yes, the bridge is a big part of the sound. My 65 Epiphone Texan isn't going anywhere. A singer's paradise.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-02-2021, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Great story and great ending! Beautiful Hummingbird, welcome home!
Old 03-02-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Just curious if you've ever noticed that the newer Birds (after the 70's?) just do not have the a particular bass tone that you almost can't hear finger picking, but very much can using a flat pick?
I'm sorry to say that I've never had the pleasure of playing any Hummingbird other than mine. I would describe its tone as the sweetest, most balanced of any guitar I've ever owned or played. While not a bluegrass cannon, she's not lacking in bass or volume, and using a pick does bring out her best.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

Last edited by catdaddy; 03-02-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Today I was able to bring home my 1970 Gibson Hummingbird from Florida luthier Ross Teigen's workshop. While it's not a 'new' guitar for me, it is a Newly Restored Guitar Day that has me as pleased as I've ever been about bringing home a guitar.

This guitar had been severely damaged in an airline baggage compartment less than 6 months after I'd gotten it new in 1970. The top was broken in half with corresponding structural damage to bracing, neck joint and more. Fortunately at the time, a luthier in Pittsburgh, PA was able to do repairs that made it playable, and it became my main acoustic guitar for the next 35 years. But about 15 years ago the repairs that had been effected so many years before began to degrade to the point that it became unplayable (braces coming loose, neck twisting, top sinking, etc). My local guitar repair guys told me it was beyond their ability to repair, and so it had remained hanging on the wall unplayed for the last decade and a half and I had pretty much accepted that it would remain that way.

This past year I became aware that luthier Ross Teigen, who I had met in the 1980s and whose services I had utilized when I lived in south Florida, had moved his shop to north-central Florida close to where I've been living for the past 20 years. I contacted Ross and asked if he would be willing to to do the necessary restoration work on my Hummingbird. Much to my delight he agreed, and mentioned that he remembered doing some repair work on the guitar many years before. So off to Ross went the Hummingbird along with my hopes for a miracle.

Well, after a little more than a month Ross completed his amazing work, and I have what I can only describe as a miracle: a completely rejuvenated guitar! Ross performed a comprehensive overhaul: working on braces, binding, neck (reset), bridge, pick guard, and I don't know what all else. What I do know is that it plays, looks and feels like a brand new guitar with a vintage Gibson Hummingbird voice and vibe. Mr.Teigen says the guitar should be good now for about 30 more years before I'll need to bring it back in for a refresh (since I'll be 100 years old then I'm sure I'll be needing a "refresh" more than the guitar at that point ). I am so incredibly grateful to Ross for his superb work in bringing this special guitar back to life for me!

Congrats, that's a beaut'... I have one of it's cousin, a '74 Dove Custom which is in great shape, having had a neck reset in 2010.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion