The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
If you're going to have that sort of work done to a guitar you might as well buy something with all solid woods. Recording King RO series, Eastman, etc would be much more worthwhile to mod than something with HPL back and sides.
I would do that ... if I could afford a guitar like those. I can't ... so I am just trying to improve what I have.

What are you trying to tell me? I can't undo what I've done. The guitar has been purchased. Returning it will likely cost me some "buyer's remorse" fees. I am asking what I should or could do with what I have.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-27-2021, 02:09 PM

See if you can find somebody who plays really well to play it for you. If you like how it sounds when they play it, then your answer is keep the guitar and put in your time practicing.

But if you don't like how it sounds even when somebody who's really good plays it, you're probably never going to like it.

As an aside, you seem to be accumulating quite a collection of entry-level guitars. Of the guitars in your signature, only the Epiphone is an all-solid wood guitar, the others are all solid tops with laminate backs and sides. I mean no offense - just an observation.

If you still have everything in your signature, have you considered selling some or all of them, and putting the money towards one nicer instrument? Once you get over the $1000 hump, even less used, you'll notice a substantial difference in quality. You might be able to cure your GAS for awhile (not forever, that's just crazy talk!).

Last edited by Fishermike; 02-27-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Can you not just look inside to see if has scalloped braces?
I should do that.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-27-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I'm assuming the answer will be it's me ... but honestly, folks, I played my Martin X1-DE today for the first time, it's the Musician's Friend SDOTD back on March 21, and frankly I'm underwhelmed.

Yes I know it's a cheaper Martin with HPL back and sides. The serial number is not listed in Martin which goes through 2019 so I'm guessing this is probably a 2020 model (24xxxxx). I don't see anything structurally wrong with it. Action is a tad high, as expected, but the tuners work fine. I haven't checked intonation yet.

It just doesn't "sound" all that great to me. I know it's not going to sound like an all solid-wood Martin but it just sounds rather bland if I had a term to use. Also a little thin and too much treble.

The pickup works fine. I have a cheap AC acoustic simulator pedal which is intended to be used to make an electric sort of sound like an acoustic but I've found it works well with this guitar, trimming the treble and giving the whole sound a fullness and roundness.

I've read almost nothing but praise for this guitar here ... so maybe I was expecting more. And , of course, buying blind through the internet is at best a gamble, I think.
Though logic would dictate that these HPL Martins would be very consistent, my experience has been quite the opposite when trying these. I have tried some and thought "Wow, I see why many people would like these now" all the way to "Yuck, this sounds like strings on a plastic box".

There is no harm in trying cheap improvements. If they don't work - the name and it's old resell value will assure you lose very little if you re-sell.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermike View Post
Though your post says "March 21", I'm guessing you meant February? If so, just return it and be done with it.

I'm another who has never been impressed with Martin's low end models. I'm sure there are good ones, I just haven't played one that did anything for me, and I am a Martin fan.

There are plenty of other good guitars in that price range, even more if you shop used. Find one you like the sound of, and be happy!
Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I've made the correction.

I have not been able to find anything in that price range, good or used. In fact, as I may have said, I have seen used versions of this guitar selling for more than I paid for it new.

I have been able to get good deals in the past (such as my 2008 Masterbilt with case for $300) but not in the past few months for some reason.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-27-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Though logic would dictate that these HPL Martins would be very consistent, my experience has been quite the opposite when trying these. I have tried some and thought "Wow, I see why many people would like these now" all the way to "Yuck, this sounds like strings on a plastic box".

There is no harm in trying cheap improvements. If they don't work - the name and it's old resell value will assure you lose very little if you re-sell.
I agree with you on both points ... especially the part about the "strings on a plastic box."
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-27-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would do that ... if I could afford a guitar like those. I can't ... so I am just trying to improve what I have.

What are you trying to tell me? I can't undo what I've done. The guitar has been purchased. Returning it will likely cost me some "buyer's remorse" fees. I am asking what I should or could do with what I have.
I'm telling you that scalloping the braces and doing other sorts of mods to a guitar with HPL back and sides isn't going to help much. And if you're committed to keeping the guitar you should at least play it for a couple months, try some different strings out, etc before deciding to have major work done to it. But if you don't like the tone now, there's no guarantee that scalloping the braces is going to make you like it either - there's only so much you can do to a guitar with HPL. So then you've put even more money into a cheap guitar, and who knows how many people want to buy a guitar that has been modded a luthier they don't know.

In your shoes I'd just return the guitar. Pretty sure MF has a generous return policy.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
I'm telling you that scalloping the braces and doing other sorts of mods to a guitar with HPL back and sides isn't going to help much. And if you're committed to keeping the guitar you should at least play it for a couple months, try some different strings out, etc before deciding to have major work done to it. But if you don't like the tone now, there's no guarantee that scalloping the braces is going to make you like it either - there's only so much you can do to a guitar with HPL. So then you've put even more money into a cheap guitar, and who knows how many people want to buy a guitar that has been modded a luthier they don't know.

In your shoes I'd just return the guitar. Pretty sure MF has a generous return policy.
Scalloping the braces is just a thought. I do think a bone saddle would help some. I'm not sold really on putting in a bone nut and changing the bridge pins however.

And your point is well taken. There's no reason to put a good deal of money into a guitar if I don't like it and I plan on returning it. But I do want to play with it for a bit, change the strings, etc., and then make my decision. So I won't mod it and I'm keeping the box and everything. But putting in a bone saddle is a minimal investment.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-27-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Scalloping the braces is just a thought. I do think a bone saddle would help some. I'm not sold really on putting in a bone nut and changing the bridge pins however.

And your point is well taken. There's no reason to put a good deal of money into a guitar if I don't like it and I plan on returning it. But I do want to play with it for a bit, change the strings, etc., and then make my decision. So I won't mod it and I'm keeping the box and everything. But putting in a bone saddle is a minimal investment.
A bone saddle could help for sure. If you're committed to giving it a fair shot then definitely try some different strings and let the guitar break in a bit before going the mod route. I have a 00X1 and while it certainly doesn't compete with my higher end guitars, I do like the tone and it has served very well as a travel guitar.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:14 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
Change the strings. Repeat test. You may be surprised.
I agree with this. Put on some non-coated 13s, and I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Also, since the top is solid spruce, it should improve with time.

It's never going to sound like a rosewood Standard Series Martin, no matter what you do. But I would change the strings, play the heck out of it, and you should see improvement in tone.
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 02-27-2021, 04:36 PM

I just bought a Martin 000x1ae and it sounds amazing. Way better than my LOAR LO16sb and my Epiphone Masterbuilt DR500MCE. It’s a great sounding guitar. The Strata Bond neck feels like a wooden satin finish neck that’s been played for a few years, nice and smooth. I am very pleased with the Martin X series. I don’t expect it to sound better than my D-18 or my D-16 Rosewood, but it does sound like a Martin.
Now I’m waiting for the DX1e in Black or the DX1e Johnny Cash. A perfect busking guitar. Or perfect for taking to the open mic at the local pub.
Plus no worries about humidity.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:27 PM

I just played mine a few minutes ago. It was the SDOTD guitar.
Just got it a few days ago.
I really like it, sounds great.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I just played mine a few minutes ago. It was the SDOTD guitar.
Just got it a few days ago.
I really like it, sounds great.
It's a great guitar. I got mine for $460 about 3 years ago on sale.... Couldn't believe it was even lower for the SDOTD recently! Now it's back at $600.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I don't know if this a concern to you, but I would think that shaving the braces would void your limited lifetime warranty from Martin. A new saddle and different strings are the simplest mods and could make a difference. Maybe some DR Rare strings would give that guitar a warmer tone.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 02-27-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinray View Post
I don't know if this a concern to you, but I would think that shaving the braces would void your limited lifetime warranty from Martin. A new saddle and different strings are the simplest mods and could make a difference. Maybe some DR Rare strings would give that guitar a warmer tone.
I hadn't thought about that as it would be changing the structural integrity of the guitar, wouldn't it?

Well I did a quick look-see online and the consensus seems to be that you're right and it would void the warranty. So that's out ... although I don't know if it was ever that far "in." Changing the saddle should be OK and if push comes to shove I can keep the old saddle and just put it back in.

Thanks a lot, pickinray.

Yes I have used DR Rares and DR Sunbeams, but I have had more success with the Sunbeams. That was going to be a question also, what are the best strings for an "X" series guitar like this? The Retros are very warm sounding I think, but maybe too warm.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion