The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2021, 11:43 AM

Default Is it me ... or is it my Martin X1-DE?

I'm assuming the answer will be it's me ... but honestly, folks, I played my Martin X1-DE today for the first time, it's the Musician's Friend SDOTD back on Feb. 21, and frankly I'm underwhelmed.

Yes I know it's a cheaper Martin with HPL back and sides. The serial number is not listed in Martin which goes through 2019 so I'm guessing this is probably a 2020 model (24xxxxx). I don't see anything structurally wrong with it. Action is a tad high, as expected, but the tuners work fine. I haven't checked intonation yet.

It just doesn't "sound" all that great to me. I know it's not going to sound like an all solid-wood Martin but it just sounds rather bland if I had a term to use. Also a little thin and too much treble.

The pickup works fine. I have a cheap AC acoustic simulator pedal which is intended to be used to make an electric sort of sound like an acoustic but I've found it works well with this guitar, trimming the treble and giving the whole sound a fullness and roundness.

I've read almost nothing but praise for this guitar here ... so maybe I was expecting more. And , of course, buying blind through the internet is at best a gamble, I think.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 02-27-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:51 AM

Hi Ralph. I have an X1-DE that I bought new in 2018. I think it sounds really good. Make sure the guitar is not dried out / needs to be humidified. Last year in the winter, the guitar sounded very thin because it needed to be humidified. Now it sounds fantastic.

For $360 (was that the price?) it's an excellent guitar.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
Hi Ralph. I have an X1-DE that I bought new in 2018. I think it sounds really good. Make sure the guitar is not dried out / needs to be humidified. Last year in the winter, the guitar sounded very thin because it needed to be humidified. Now it sounds fantastic.

For $360 (was that the price?) it's an excellent guitar.
Yes I put it in a case with a soundhole humidifier and I will check on it in a day or two. I understand it's only a $360 guitar ... but sadly for me that's a lot of money. Take a look at my other guitars bought both new and used: they range in price from $99 new (with a case) to $300 used (also with a case) so you can see this is still a step up for me in price.

I may take it to my luthier buddy for his thoughts. He can perform magic by putting in a bone nut and saddle and shaving the braces. (He makes his own brand of guitars.) So I do think he can really improve the sound and playability (which already seems fine) for this guitar.

Btw, what is the bracing on this? Forward-shifted? A? X? Scalloped? Etc.,

I ask because the Martin specs for a somewhat similar D-XIE say it has scalloped X bracing. The Guitar Center listing for this Special model, however, says it has X bracing, but nothing about the braces being scalloped. Moreover a MF listing for the Custom version of this guitar, however, says it has A bracing and again, does not say it has scalloped bracing. So am I right in assuming it neither has scalloped bracing nor is forward-shifted?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 02-27-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Yes I put it in a case with a soundhole humidifier and I will check on it in a day or two. I understand it's only a $360 guitar ... but sadly for me that's a lot of money. Take a look at my other guitars bought both new and used: they range in price from $99 new (with a case) to $300 used (also with a case) so you can see this is still a step up for me in price.

I may take it to my luthier buddy for his thoughts. He can perform magic by putting in a bone nut and saddle and shaving the braces. (He makes his own brand of guitars.) So I do think he can really improve the sound and playability (which already seems fine) for this guitar.

Btw, what is the bracing on this? Forward-shifted? A? X? Scalloped? Etc.,
Musician's Friend says its X bracing:
Special X1-DE Style Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar Specifications:
Body
Body type: Dreadnought
Cutaway: Non-cutaway
Top wood: Sitka Spruce
Back & sides: Mahogany HPL
Bracing pattern: X
Body finish: Satin
Orientation: Right handed

I like the sound of the X1-DE more than a D18 Modern Deluxe I recently tried. I know that may sound crazy, but it's true.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:20 PM

Actually I wonder with this solid spruce-HPL construction if I even should think about scalloped bracing as I know that somewhat lessens the structural integrity, right? But would that make any difference because the HPL back and sides won't be changed.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-27-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Honestly, that's how I've felt about all the X series guitars I've played.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-27-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Honestly, that's how I've felt about all the X series guitars I've played.
Well ... I will try to get it to my luthier next week and see what he thinks or advises.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-27-2021, 01:20 PM

Being that it is a laminated construction consistency from one guitar to the next should be nearly identical. It is not like an all solid wood guitar where there are variances between one piece of wood and another. One will sound just about like the next. I doubt it is anything to do with your particular guitar.

All the reviews I have seen about these guitars have been very good. Maybe your expectations were a bit high. It is not going to sound like a $3400 Martin. For the price you really couldn’t have expected it would. They really are very good guitars especially at that very low price. (Even for the normal price).
Old 02-27-2021, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

A shot in the dark, but guitars can sometimes sit for quite a while in a shop. Are the strings new-ish? Have you tried a different set?
Old 02-27-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
A shot in the dark, but guitars can sometimes sit for quite a while in a shop. Are the strings new-ish? Have you tried a different set?
The strings seem new(ish); they are the Martin Lifespan coated, which I have a few other sets. The low E, for example , does not have that tell-tale "thud" of a dying or dead string. I know these can be setting for some time in a warehouse, that's why I tried to date it. (Btw, why hasn't Martin updated the listings for 2020 yet?)

These seem to be 12s; I generally use 13s but that was to get maximum volume at jams (which I haven't been to in nearly a year and don't see any on the horizon either) so I'm starting to transition to 12s for ease of play.

This is a long-winded way to say I think the stock strings are fine.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-27-2021, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Pay someone to shave the braces, new nut, and saddle? Are you crazy? It's a $360 guitar that you got from MF. Don't go try to make it into something that it isn't. Try a set of your favorite strings and if it doesn't start sounding like what you want, call it a day and just send it back.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Pay someone to shave the braces, new nut, and saddle? Are you crazy? It's a $360 guitar that you got from MF. Don't go try to make it into something that it isn't. Try a set of your favorite strings and if it doesn't start sounding like what you want, call it a day and just send it back.
Ouch.

If I didn't name the model of the guitar or the price, would you still give me that answer? I told you these improvements could be done for not much money so why shouldn't I try to improve it if I can?

So I guess I am crazy then.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-27-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Ouch.

If I didn't name the model of the guitar or the price, would you still give me that answer? I told you these improvements could be done for not much money so why shouldn't I try to improve it if I can?

So I guess I am crazy then.
If you're going to have that sort of work done to a guitar you might as well buy something with all solid woods. Recording King RO series, Eastman, etc would be much more worthwhile to mod than something with HPL back and sides.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:04 PM

Can you not just look inside to see if has scalloped braces?
Old 02-27-2021, 02:05 PM

Change the strings. Repeat test. You may be surprised.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion