The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-01-2021, 02:24 PM

Default Tenor 'ukulele Case

I'm pretty close to ordering a Martin T1K 'ukulele (tenor size). I've never had a 'uke before.
These usually come with a gig bag. I hope to resume going to festivals this next year, but even if I don't we'll still do a lot of camping in our vintage 25' Airstream. I usually bring an instrument or three along, always in good hardshell cases.

Are tenor 'ukes all similar enough in size that I can reasonably expect that any decent temor 'uke case will fit? Has anyone else found a good case that fits this 'uke?
Old 01-01-2021, 03:25 PM

Check out “Musician's Gear Tenor Ukulele Case Black” at musiciansfriend.com.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:49 PM

Sweetwater (AGF sponsor) sells hard cases, and they sell the T1K - they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1227--Uk...9tcGFyZSI6W119

D.H.

I looked a little more at the Sweetwater site and found a comment that the Gator Journeyman fits a T1K.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 01-01-2021 at 03:51 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-01-2021, 04:56 PM

Ukulele sizes are usually standardized according to their scale, and body shapes and dimensions can vary substantially. So a good fitting case for one brand may be too big or small for another brand.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-25-2021 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Okina

As an FYI, there is no okina (apostrophe looking thing) before the word ukulele. An okina suggests a short breath usually within a word. It can be at the beginning of a word as well (don't ask) But not the word ukulele.
Thanks
Kupuna50
Old 01-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I've done this kind of traveling in a tiny trailer, and always had a hook I could hang a gig bag from. And the strap was great for hauling it around. Everyone has their own comfort factor however. I'm usually a hard case guy. Does Travelite make a Uke case? That's a good compromise.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-04-2021, 03:11 PM

Uke Crazy makes a nice hard foam case. Kala uke case are probably from the same company.

Crossrock is also another good case. They have both heavy duty gig bags and hard cases.

I buy mine from Sweetwarer.com
Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 PM

I have three tenor ukes. The all have different cases. All slightly different measurements. Have Kala archtop case, a Crossrock, two others that came from the uke makers, ones ABS ?? the other old style wood??--haven't tracked down who really made them.

Mim of Mim's Ukes....give her a call tell her what specific ukulele you have, she will fix you up and if she doesn't have what you need, she will tell you where to get the case you need.

Martin might even have a correct hard case for the uke as well.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:22 PM

I bought the Ohana long neck tenor tweed case from Mim's. It fits fine. I wanted the extra room in the case for my Cooperstand folding stand and 1/4" cord (of course I added a Waverly strap button and JJB SBT to my T1K almost immediately).

Last edited by Mandobart; 01-27-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I've done this kind of traveling in a tiny trailer, and always had a hook I could hang a gig bag from. And the strap was great for hauling it around. Everyone has their own comfort factor however. I'm usually a hard case guy. Does Travelite make a Uke case? That's a good compromise.
Yeah, I'm from the era where gig-bag = cheap instrument. But the funny thing is I haven't ever had any damage to an instrument in a gig bag (knock on mahogany).

Times have changed. PRS Silver Sky come in a gig bag. Wouldn't kick one of those out of the jam for eating crackers...
Old 02-12-2021, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

Mono M80 tenor uke bag. Wonderful.
Will hold most A style mandolins also, and fits a Northfield F5
Just about bombproof and oh so easy to carry and travel with.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:41 AM

Gator Journey Man
Old 02-17-2021, 09:12 PM

I have a Gator bag for my Breedlove concert uke. Got it on Amazon. Great bag. This is the tenor size: Gator Cases Pro Go Series Deluxe Gig Bag for Tenor Ukuleles or A/F Style Mandolin (G-PG-UKE-TEN)
Old 02-26-2021, 12:10 PM

Gig bags do not offer as much protection as a hard shell case, but if your heart is set on getting a gig bag, the one that offers the best protection is made by Fusion. The padding in the side walls are thick and stiffer than other brands. It is a premium bag so you'll have to pay more for it. They are hard to find in the US, but you can buy direct from them in the UK.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:43 AM

Default On gig bags...

I have high quality gig bags - one - for every instrument I play out: from harps, hammered dulcimer and accordions to every kind of stringed instrument. Mostly these bags pile up in a closet and are only used when I'm playing out.

If I played out with a uke I'd just use my reunion blues tenor banjo bag, which also serves as a mandola bag..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments